Re: DSM: Simple solution

  • Robert Swanson
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 9, 2000

      on 12/7/00 1:54 PM, Joe Jackson at shoeless@... wrote:
      > Robert,
      > As I could not disagree with this statement more, and insofar as this idea
      > is the fundamental basis for your feelings regarding the inadequacy of the
      > model, I believe that I have discovered the root of our fundamental
      > disagreement about what these schools should do for students.
      >
      > I am glad we have so much that we agree on!
      >
      > -Joe

      Inborn in humans is the ability to be nourished and to be stimulated by the
      five senses and by some sort of heart connection not understood. Given these
      we also have the ability to evolve. This evolution is changes in brain
      structure, body development, emotional development, and, according to recent
      science, changes in the genetic code. Yes, we evolve genetically due to
      environmental input! (Now we'll nerver know which came first, the chicken or
      the egg?).

      Inborn in humans is the possibility to evolve. This is huge. The limits of
      evolution are set by nutrition and stimulation. If parents nourish and
      evolve their own genetics that is a good start. Next, they can nourish and
      stimulate the infant in the womb. The newborn needs the stimulus of loving
      touch and warmth and gentle words, and a lack of other stimuli. After this
      the child needs extreem variety of stimulation in a context of joy and love
      so to open a wide variety of potentials into our world. At age eleven the
      potentials focus that applied intelligence be developed in behalf of the
      given environment and one's interests. Aspects of material survival then
      become so fluid as to be second nature (not daily worry). Creativity is
      given open reins. As a person thinks, so he is -- possibility.

      A child raised by wolves would not speak, maybe not even walk. A child
      raised by nervous parents will walk and talk but may never fully understand
      peace and love and cooperation. A child raised by a loving world community
      may speak twenty languages, be in complete peace, move without hesitation
      into continued improvement of self as relative to a wholesome world, and
      cooperate with others with a charm and grace that would befuddle us lizard
      brains. This person's joy and excitement for life could power a creativity
      lightyears advanced from our own. Imagine Einstein, Jesus and Cleopatra
      holding hands as they skip down the street with the students from a Sudbury
      school. They are not going anywhere. Within, they know they have arrived.
      They found self because of who they are with.

      It's all a matter of models,
      robert