10 Ways to Protect Children From Pesticides

  • Tantrika Psychology
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 8 8:37 PM
      We are all concerned for the wellbeing of both our children, others'
      children and the future of life on Earth. Working together we can lay
      precedents to assuage the onslaught of environmental toxins upon children,
      posterity.

      Satya

      *Tantra Psychology <http://tantrapsychology.org/>*
      http://
      TantraPsychology.org

      http://bit.ly/MysticalPresentations3

      http://twitter/TantraPsych

      They are "educated" who have learned much, remembered much,
      and make use of their knowledge in everyday life.
      And of these lessons integrated into their life,
      moral conscience is the most imperative to learn
      and convey to others.
      Their virtues give true meaning to education.

      Today�s children are sicker than children were two generations ago.
      <http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-_8loAZR-2LY/UWJL1IYRdMI/AAAAAAAAAF4/RThBb5KFPL0/s1600/Kids+playing+in+Field+01.jpg>
      From learning disabilities and autism to childhood cancers and more, a
      startling number of diseases and disorders are on the rise. And the
      science<http://www.panna.org/children> leaves
      little room for doubt: pesticides and other toxic chemicals are
      contributing to our kids getting sick, and these chemicals can have
      cascading effects that last for generations.
      The good news is, this is a problem we can do something about. From
      kitchen tables to state capitals, from school districts to family farms,
      people are finding ways to better protect children's health. It's time to
      roll up our sleeves and get to work. See our Top
      10<http://www.panna.org/current-campaigns/kids-health#Top10> list
      below to find out how you can help protect kids from pesticides. Today.
      Children are in harm's way
      Pediatricians have understood for decades that children interact with their
      environment much differently than adults. Infants and children have
      speedier metabolic rates, which means they take in more water, food and
      air. Their bodies are also less able to detoxify and expel harmful
      chemicals.
      In short, a child is absorbing a higher load of pesticides at a time when
      his or her body is least equipped to protect itself.
      Here are just some of the many pathways of exposure putting our children
      in harm's way:
      *In the womb: *When a fetus is
      exposed<http://www.panna.org/issues/persistent-poisons/pesticides-in-our-bodies>
      certain chemicals at particular times � as the architecture of the brain is
      under construction, or the reproductive organs taking shape � the normal
      process of development can be derailed, sometimes with irreversible
      effects.
      *Home & daycare:* If pesticides are used in homes, lawns or gardens where
      an infant or toddler is exploring the world, exposure is a near certainty.
      And eating foods coated with pesticides � even when residues are scant �
      has been linked to lower IQs and neurodevelopmental
      delays<http://www.panna.org/blog/3-new-separate-studies-confirm-common-pesticides-harm-kids-cognition>.

      *Schools & playgrounds:* Use of toxic chemicals to control pests in
      schools and on playing fields make the school
      environment<http://www.panna.org/issues/frontline-communities/schools-playgrounds>
      less
      safe for growing bodies and developing minds. Students in rural areas face
      additional risk, as pesticides may drift onto school grounds and seep into
      water supplies from nearby fields.
      Way back in 1993, scientists at the National Research Council pointed to a
      fundamental maxim of pediatric medicine � that children are not, in fact,
      �little adults� � to make the urgent case that children's small and growing
      bodies need special protection from pesticide exposure.
      Twenty years later, childhood diseases linked to pesticides are still
      climbing, and our children continue to be at risk. The American Academy of
      Pediatrics<http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/early/2012/11/21/peds.2012-2757>
      spoke
      out in 2012, urging policymakers to do more *now* to protect children from
      pesticides and promote safer pest control alternatives.
      Solutions within reach
      Parents can make immediate changes in how they control pests at home and
      what foods they feed their children, and this will help.
      But truly protecting our children requires getting harmful pesticides off
      our food and out of the places children live, learn and play � which will
      take major shifts in our national approach to both pests and pesticides.
      This kind of change doesn�t come easy.
      Yet we�re confident that together, we can do it. Here are the Top 10
      things we recommend � *right now*� to get us started.

      Top 10 ways to protect kids from pesticides

      1. *Choose kid-safe foods**.* Whenever possible, shop for fruits and
      veggies free of pesticides <http://www.whatsonmyfood.org/> that harm
      children�s health. More and more families across the country are choosing
      pesticide-free or organic produce, joining local
      CSAs<http://www.localharvest.org/>,
      shopping at farmers� markets or planting their own backyard gardens!

      1. *Keep homes kid-safe. * Use safer, alternative
      methods<http://www.panna.org/your-health/home-pets-garden> to
      control pests in homes, on your pets, and on your lawns and gardens.

      1. *Create safer child care. * Daycare centers should be free of
      pesticides known to harm children. Ask your daycare facility about the
      pesticides they use, and urge them to join the Eco-Healthy Child
      Care<http://www.cehn.org/ehcc> program
      run by our partners at the Children's Environmental Health Network.

      1. *Make schools pesticide-free, inside & out.* Pesticides that harm
      children � and especially those known to harm developing minds � have no
      place in our schools. Learn what communities across the country are
      doing<http://www.panna.org/issues/frontline-communities/schools-playgrounds>
      create school environments free of neurotoxic pesticides.

      1. *Link local farms to school plates. * Urge your school district to
      link with a pesticide-free farm-to-school
      <http://www.farmtoschool.org/> program
      to protect children from pesticide residues *and* build the family farm
      economy.

      1. *Support green & healthy farming.* Our policies should better
      support farmers who grow healthy, pest-free
      crops<http://www.panna.org/science/agroecology> without
      relying on pesticides that can harm children. Let's make financial help
      and on-farm technical support for these growers a national priority.

      1. *Spread the word about pesticides & health**.* Follow and share the
      science on pesticides
      <http://www.panna.org/get-involved/what-you-can-do> and
      kids health with friends, family, parent-teacher groups and neighbors.
      Download our 2-page Conversation
      Kickstarter<http://www.panna.org/sites/default/files/Kids-Health_Conversation-Kickstarter_1.pdf>
      help get the discussion going.

      1. *Press policymakers to put children�s health first. * Overall,
      current rules protect the interests of the pesticide corporations much
      better than they protect our children. Pesticides stay on the market long
      after science shows they harm children�s health, and new pesticides are
      approved that may increase the risk. Find out how you can help press
      for policies<http://www.panna.org/get-involved/action-center/hold-leaders-accountable>
      that
      put children�s health first.

      1. *Vote for kids� health.* From local to state to national elections,
      hold politicians accountable to vote for kids� health, not pesticide
      industry profits<http://votersedge.org/california/ballot-measures/2012/november/prop-37>.

      1. *Join the PAN
      family*<http://action.panna.org/p/salsa/web/common/public/signup?signup_page_KEY=5288>
      *. *We will keep you informed, plug you into smart actions and help you
      spread the word. Find us on
      Facebook<https://www.facebook.com/pesticideactionnetwork>
      and Twitter <https://twitter.com/pesticideaction>, too!

      This article originally appeared
      *here*<http://www.panna.org/current-campaigns/kids-health#Top10>.

      *Intuitional Training for Professionals
      ,
      Community Leaders
      , and Young People
      <http://bit.ly/m12zDZ>*

      Making a difference for the psychic, moral and physical development of
      youth, make a difference through and for our *Youth Intuitional Development
      Program* <http://bit.ly/YouthHumanPotential>

      *Longevity: Is It In Your Future?* <http://bit.ly/14AIExs>

      --
      Posted By Blogger to Tantra