7 Holiday Stress Busters for Kids + Still Time: Discount Holiday Gifts

  • Dr. Charlotte Reznick PhD
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 19, 2011
      If you are having trouble viewing this message, please go to http://community.icontact.com/p/wwwimageryforkids/newsletters/powerofyourchildsimagination/posts/7-holiday-stress-busters-for-kids-still-time-discount-holiday-gifts

      [1]

      DEAR COMMUNITY,

      A Reminder... 7 Holiday Stress Busters for Kids (and you too!)

      From Imagery For Kids archives, and now on the Huffington Post, a wonderful
      reminder how to have stress-free holidays for the whole family.

      Although holiday time means presents and no school for most American kids, it
      can also be a stressful time - particularly in families facing financial
      challenges, in split or blended families, and in families where a loved one has
      recently passed away.

      One of the first steps for parents is to realize how much stress kids are under
      - much of it related to the economy and school. A recent American Psychological
      Association's Stress in America survey found that while 45 percent of teens and
      26 percent of tweens said they were under more stress this year, less than a
      third of parents even noticed their kids' increased worry.

      And their worry is affecting the quality of their lives: 42 percent of teens
      and 30 percent of tweens report headaches; 49 percent of teens and 39 percent
      of tweens cite difficulty sleeping; 39 percent of teens and 27 percent of
      tweens say they eat too much or too little.

      Here are 7 simple holiday stress-reducing strategies that can make a
      difference:

      Visualize a heart-filled holiday: You can do this one at the dinner table. Have
      everyone in the family close their eyes, focus on their heart, and imagine what
      kind of holiday will bring joy into their heart. Then share your ideas around
      the table. This helps kids feel listened to, cared for, and included.

      Give the gift of calmness: Ancient wisdom and modern research point to the
      calming effects and health benefits of slow, deep breathing. Make a regular
      practice of taking 1 to 5 minutes each day of relaxing "balloon breathing."
      Breathe in to a count of 3 about 2 inches below the navel, imagining there's a
      balloon filled up with air, and out to that same slow count. It'll center and
      rebalance every family member to face the joys and inevitable disappointments
      of the holiday season.

      Offer distress a voice: If this is your child's first holiday without a loved
      one - grandpa passed away, or big sister is in Afghanistan - younger family
      members may feel a deep sense of loss. Or maybe your child is feeling the
      stress of a recent divorce. Give her paper and markers, and ask her to draw
      whatever is making her sad or mad. Then ask her what the picture wants to say
      out loud. Often, putting a face on an emotion and letting it "speak" makes the
      child feel better - and gives the parent a way to understand what's going on.

      Sweat is sweet: Kids (and adults) can get all pent up during the holiday time.
      Surprise little ones by clearing the furniture out of the center of the room,
      turning on some fun music, and dancing vigorously for 10 minutes. Or bundle up
      the family and take a wintry walk while playing "I Spy." Exercise releases
      feel-good chemical and is one of the fastest ways to chase away holiday blahs
      and instill a sense of togetherness.

      Blow out negativity, light up hope: Create a family ritual of hope. Have two
      candles for each family member: one lit, one not. Have each imagine what they'd
      like to let go of - what no longer serves them - and say, "I'm going to toss
      this out (anger, worry, meanness to my sister) when I blow this candle out."
      Then light a new candle and share, "I hope to bring in (kindness, faith,
      cleaning my room) as I light anew." Let go of the old and bring in the new. You
      can use one candle to symbolize all, or light up your whole home with several.

      Read more on the Huffington post [2]here...

      Still Time: Save on Your Holiday Gifts
      (Order today and I'll mail it tomorrow.)

      1. Downloads are Here
      Deepest Discounts on CDs

      This is the first holiday season I've offered such discounts or downloads - and
      they are not on my 'regular' website. Take advantage....

      Discounts for downloads are up to 50% off.
      Discounts for CDs are up to 25% off.
      [3]
      More info and [4]Order Here

      2. Holiday Gift Packs for Kids
      Holiday Gift Packs for Parents

      Holiday Gift Pack for Kids: 25% off

      Awaken creative resources with encouraging words and guided journeys to a place
      of inner peace.
      Choose any 2 or more CDs + "Listen to your heart..." Heart Lovey.
      Choose the gift wrapping....

      More info and [5]Order Here

      ***********

      Holiday Gift Pack for Parents: 25% off

      LA Times best-selling book, The Power of Your Child's Imagination: How to
      Transform Stress and Anxiety into Joy and Success (with personalized
      dedication per your instructions) +
      For parent support, The Cave of Great Wisdom CD +
      "Listen to your heart..." Heart Lovey

      Choose your favorite gift wrapping...

      Listen to audio samples and [6]Order Here.

      3. Kids Relaxation Trio Discount Pack

      Help your child develop the inner resources to cope with life's challenges.

      "Discovering Your Special Place" CD +
      "Creating a Magical Garden and Healing Pond" CD +
      "Listen to your heart..." Heart Lovey... Helps reduce stress just by holding
      it.

      15% Discount for all three items.
      Listen to audio samples and [7]Order Here

      Order today and I'll mail it tomorrow!

      With love and light,

      My Holiday Gift for You

      "Connecting From the Heart"

      A guided journey for family and friends

      From "The Power of Your Child's Imagination"

      This guided meditation can create a heart-centered, loving family atmosphere
      that meets everyone's needs. Adapt the language for your family as you see fit.
      If the entire family is participating, you might record the script so you can
      all share the experience at once and then gather everyone into a circle, facing
      each other.

      You'll find the script at Psychology Today [8]HERE.

      A recorded version of this script, along with 9 other guided journeys, is found
      on The Power of Your Child's Imagination Double CD. More info [9]here.

      About Dr. Charlotte Reznick
      Charlotte Reznick PhD specializes in helping children and adolescents develop
      the emotional skills necessary for a happy and successful life. She is a
      licensed educational psychologist and Associate Clinical Professor of
      Psychology at UCLA. Dr. Charlotte is the creator of Imagery For Kids^TM:
      Breakthrough for Learning, Creativity, and Empowerment and is the author/
      producer of several therapeutic CDs for children, teens, and parents. An
      international workshop leader on the healing power of children's imagination,
      she maintains a private practice in Los Angeles, California. Visit
      [10]www.ImageryForKids.com

      THE POWER OF YOUR CHILD'S IMAGINATION

      [11]

      Go here to join in.....
      [12]Twitter
      [13]Facebook
      [14]Linked-In

      Comments from a recent school presentation..

      "Really informative and glad to have received such great tips. Thank you!"

      "Very powerful. Surprisingly so."

      "This was really great."
      UPCOMING EVENTS
      2012

      January (TBA)
      Radio Interview (Podcast)
      Happy Healthy Families
      Host: Hannah Keeley
      [15](Link to Site)

      Feb. 21
      Workshop at School
      Westchester Parents Nursery School
      7:00 - 9:00 pm
      Westchester, CA.
      [16](Link to School)

      March 22-24
      Workshop at Conference
      Psychotherapy Networker Symposium
      Creating a New Wisdom
      Omni Shoreham Hotel
      Washington, DC
      [17](Link to conference)

      March 25
      Workshop at Church
      Virginia
      (Info forthcoming)

      April (TBA)
      Teleseminar
      Host: Maggie Phillips PhD
      Virginia
      (Info forthcoming)

      May 3-6
      Workshop at Conference
      California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists
      Annual Conference
      Altogether Now: Diverse Faces of Mental Health
      The San Diego Marriott Mission Valley
      San Diego, CA
      [18](Link to Conference)

      L.A. Times best-selling [19]
      [20]The Power of Your Child's Imagination: How to Transform Stress and Anxiety
      into Joy and Success

      I'm passionate about helping kids develop self-love and learn self-healing
      techniques for life's challenges.

      I'd be delighted to come to your school or organization - anywhere in the
      world. Let me share how Nine Imagination Tools can transform stress and anxiety
      into joy and success for the lives of the children and teens you care about.

      Contact:
      Write me directly and tell me your needs at
      DrReznick@...

      Imagery For Kids | 11911 San Vicente Blvd. | Suite 240 - Brentwood | Los
      Angeles, CA 90049

      Counseling Services, Guided Imagery, and Meditation Training offered to clients
      living in: Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Pacific Palisades, Malibu, Beverly Hills,
      Beverly Glen, Culver City, Brentwood, Westwood, Marina Del Rey, Mar Vista,
      Encino, Sherman Oaks, Topanga Beach and Topanga Canyon, Ocean Park, Hancock
      Park, West Hollywood.

      Consultation, Workshops, Trainings and Speaking Offered Worldwide: U.S.,
      Europe, Asia, Australia, South America, Africa.

      All Content Copyright ©2010 Charlotte Reznick PhD, All rights reserved.