How to Handle an Over-The-Top Temper?

  • Dr. Charlotte Reznick PhD
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 2 8:51 AM
      If you are having trouble viewing this message, please go to http://community.icontact.com/p/wwwimageryforkids/newsletters/powerofyourchildsimagination/posts/how-to-handle-an-over-the-top-temper

      How to Handle an Over-The-Top Temper?

      Q: When a child displays an over-the-top temper, what can a parent to do?

      One of the most difficult challenges we face as parents is helping our kids
      manage their anger and frustration. It's so hard not to lose our control when
      our kids lose their control.

      The time to start helping your child with angry, hurt, and frustrated feelings
      is often before these big emotions show up, although that's not always
      possible. And being a role model on handling conflict and hurt peacefully is
      great, but it might have taken years for you to perfect those skills, while
      your kids have been around just a few short years.

      I think of ten-year-old Brody. Whenever he was hurt, frustrated, or angry, he
      would yell, scream, kick, or punch - himself or his sister. He fought over the
      smallest things - like what was for breakfast or where to sit in the car. His
      parents tried everything - time out, taking away privileges, talking calmly -
      nothing seemed to help.

      When we started working together, what helped Brody get in control of his
      over-the-top temper was to use the Imagination Tools of...

      (1) Talking to his Feelings,

      (2) Using Color for Healing, and

      (3) The Balloon Breath.

      Here's what he did:

      He used his Balloon Breath to calm himself and turn inside to imagine where he
      kept his big bad feelings. He didn't just have anger lurking - there was worry,
      frustration, hurt, and disappointment. White worry about grades hid in his
      belly. Black Frustration about not getting what he wanted made a big black hole
      in his back. Purple Hurt rang in his ears and Gray Disappointment turned up as
      a big block in his neck. By the time we got to Muddy Anger, he realized it was
      a combination of the other four feelings, and this helped him understand where
      his outbursts came from. That made our next step to look for the positive
      emotions that could act as an antidote to the other negative ones easier.

      Use positives to create antidote combo:

      Brody found Calm Blue at the top of his head - and breathing the color down
      into his body helped soothe his anger a bit and washed Worry away. His Happy
      feelings were like a neon splash on his chest, and when he visualized them
      spreading, it let go of Disappointment. And when Brody found Red Love in his
      heart, well, it seemed like an all-purpose healer. Brody said that when Love
      moved up his body, it vanished all his bad feelings.

      What to remember from Brody's story? Imagination Tools can be the mind's own
      sedative. Assist your child in choosing ones that appeal to him and it'll be a
      likely start down the road toward inner peace.

      Learn more about how you can help the child in your life develop the skills for
      life's challenges. Read more about Brody and others in The Power of Your
      Child's Imagination: How to Transform Stress and Anxiety into Joy and Success

      [2]Order here and receive 80+ free down-loadable gifts and discounts on CDs.

      Time to bring Dr. Reznick to your school or organization . . .

      UCLA's Mindful Awareness Research Center (MARC) workshop was powerful:

      "Thank you for such a wonderful workshop. I can already see many ways to use
      your Nine Tools in the classroom as well as in my private practice. I am
      absolutely devouring your book, and love the way it links imagination and the
      body. You speak my language." D.S., Teacher

      "Loved the workshop. Amazing presentation tools" L.B., Parent

      "Thank you. Great practical tips, plus book for details and depth." A.T.,

      "What a motivator and great ideas. I could take these quick, simple tools to
      use next week with my 'little clients'." M.A., Psychotherapist

      To arrange for presentations
      Contact Diane Carter, Email: dianecarter7@...
      Call 818/634-6696
      Call 310/889-7859

      Focus On...

      Kids Relaxation Trio Discount Package

      Creating a Magical Garden and Healing Pond CD +

      Discovering Your Special Place CD +
      "Listen to your heart..." heart lovey

      Help your child develop the inner resources to thrive in the face of life's

      "I have to tell you of all the children's meditation CDs I have heard, yours
      are the best. Your music background is great and your voice is wonderful too.
      Thanks for doing such a great job."

      Linda Damon PhD, Clinical Psychologist

      "These CDs are really good for children who are overly busy and feel stressed.
      I really enjoyed them... I felt very soothed and safe... I am going to listen
      to them often, because they made me feel good and helped me to be much more
      relaxed after school."

      Junior Editor, CNE Magazine

      [3]Listen to audio samples

      [4]Learn more and Order here

      With love and light,
      Dr. Charlotte

      Featured Teachers

      BE LOVE NOW: The Path of the Heart
      Ram Dass

      His first book sparked a revolution in consciousness... He brought the ancient
      wisdom teachings of the east to a newly awakening America... Now Ram Dass
      brings the world his most important teaching of all.

      In Ram Dass' newest book, Be Love Now, he provides you a simple yet effective
      swtich for changing your perspective - a key to releasing your greatest
      potential and changing your life. Ram Dass tackles those questions we all
      ponder at some time in our life: who am I... what should I be doing... what is
      my life's purpose... And shows us that it's not in the knowing or in the doing,
      but in the loving.

      Order Ram Dass' book today and you'll receive lots of wonderful free gifts. His
      teachings are timeless.

      [5]Find out more and order here.

      Imagery and Forgiveness

      Dr. Juliet Rohde-Brown
      Please join Imagery International's next telechat on Sunday, November 7th
      (5:00-6:00 Pacific; 8:00-9:00 East) with Dr. Juliet Rohde-Brown, psychologist,
      certified guided imagery practtioner, President-elect for Imagery
      International, and author of Imagine Forgiveness: A Guide for Creating a Joyful

      Please RSVP to iioffice@...

      About Dr. Charlotte Reznick
      Charlotte Reznick PhD specializes in helping children and adolescents develop
      the emotional skills necessary for a happy and successful life. She is a
      licensed educational psychologist and Associate Clinical Professor of
      Psychology at UCLA. Dr. Charlotte is the creator of Imagery For Kids^TM:
      Breakthrough for Learning, Creativity, and Empowerment and is the author/
      producer of several therapeutic CDs for children, teens, and parents. An
      international workshop leader on the healing power of children's imagination,
      she maintains a private practice in Los Angeles, California. Visit

      Bring Dr. Charlotte to your School or Organization... available worldwide

      Give the gift of the Nine Imagination Tools to develop inner resources and
      thrive in our challenging world.

      "The Power of Your Child's Imagination"

      "Imagery For Kids: Breakthrough for Learning, Creativity, and Empowerment"

      "Healing Children Through Imagery"
      "How to Be Your Own Stress-Reduction Therapist"

      "Healing the Bereaved Child"

      DianeCarter7@... or 818/634-6696 or
      Dr. Charlotte directly DrReznick@...

      Nov. 1
      Emotional Pathways
      Host Juliet Rohde-Brown
      [7](Link to show)

      Nov. 10
      Radio Interview
      Holistic Answers to Mental Health
      Host Aileen Nealie
      10:00-11:00 am (Pacific)
      [8](Link to show)

      COMING IN 2011

      Jan. 11
      School Presentation
      Turning Point School
      8:30-1:00 am
      Culver City, CA

      Jan. 12
      School Presentation
      Roosevelt Elem. School
      7:00-8:00 pm
      Santa Monica, CA

      March 2
      Awakened Parening
      5:00-6:00 pm (Pacific)
      8:00-9:00 pm (East)
      Host Iris Benrubi

      April 8
      Workshop at Conference
      California Psychological Assn
      Annual Convention
      Hilton San Diego - Mission Bay
      11:00 am - 12:30 pm
      San Diego, CA
      [9](Link to conference)

      Imagery For Kids | 11911 San Vicente Blvd. | Suite 240 - Brentwood | Los
      Angeles, CA 90049

      Counseling Services, Guided Imagery, and Meditation Training offered to clients
      living in: Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Pacific Palisades, Malibu, Beverly Hills,
      Beverly Glen, Culver City, Brentwood, Westwood, Marina Del Rey, Mar Vista,
      Encino, Sherman Oaks, Topanga Beach and Topanga Canyon, Ocean Park, Hancock
      Park, West Hollywood.

      Consultation, Workshops, Trainings and Speaking Offered Worldwide: U.S.,
      Europe, Asia, Australia, South America, Africa.

      All Content Copyright ©2010 Charlotte Reznick PhD, All rights reserved.

      1. http://www.imageryforkids.com/learnMore.html
      2. http://www.imageryforkids.com/book/
      3. http://www.imageryforkids.com/shop.html
      4. http://www.imageryforkids.com/shop-kids-relaxation-trio-discount-package.html
      5. http://www.belovenowbook.com/
      6. http://www.imageryforkids.com/
      7. http://webtalkradio.net/shows/emotional-pathways/
      8. http://www.voiceamerica.com/worldtalkradio/vchannel.aspx?cid=252
      9. http://www.cpapsych.org/displaycommon.cfm?an=1&subarticlenbr=297?cid=252
      This message was sent by: Imagery For Kids, 11911 San Vicente Blvd.
      Suite 240 - Brentwood
      , Los Angeles, CA 90049

      Manage your subscription:

      Forward to a friend:

      Comment on this message in the iContact Community:

      Receive our messages as an RSS feed: