Rescued Chilean Miner's Kids: Helping Kids After Trauma

  • Dr. Charlotte Reznick PhD
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 20, 2010
      If you are having trouble viewing this message, please go to http://community.icontact.com/p/wwwimageryforkids/newsletters/powerofyourchildsimagination/posts/rescued-chilean-miners-kids-helping-kids-after-trauma

      [1]

      DEAR COMMUNITY,

      Rescued Chilean Miner's Kids: How to Help Kids After Trauma (Cafe Mom's The
      Stir)...

      Last week, Cafe Mom's The Stir contacted me about my thoughts of kids and
      trauma in light of the recent miraculous rescue of Chilean miners. I want to
      share this with you, as the information is applicable to all of our lives. We
      never know when the next tragedy might hit us, and we always want to be able to
      support our kids.

      As with Sheri Reed who interviewed me for this article, I too watched with
      tears of joy as each miner safely reached the surface and were reunited with
      their children and families.

      Here are 6 salient points to ponder:

      (1) "Those months when the men were underground, the kids were trying to hold
      it together. And now even though it's the happiest, happiest moment where
      they're safe, it's now that they can let it out."

      (2) 21 typical child crisis reactions are pointed out. "They (miners) are going
      to respond differently. So based on how they respond, their families, their
      kids are going to respond differently. We know that if the parents are okay,
      kids do better. If their dads or their brothers are suffering more, they're
      going to suffer more."

      (3) "For these Chilean children, it's all about reunification now. 'Right now,
      the kids just need to be with their dads, brothers, or uncles'."

      (4) "One way kids can feel better when they feel powerless ... is to help
      others. It could be something like raise some money, even just a little bit, so
      that (other) miners can have better safety. Donating lunch money, having a
      lemonade stand... Have some control of making things better in the future for
      other miners..."

      (5) "Our kids in America can (also) send letters to the kids in Chile. You can
      go to [2]Google Translate and write in English and then translate it into
      Spanish. 'Send letters, send cards. They will appreciate it. Knowing... that
      the kids here are thinking of them, that's going to make a difference in their
      life. Helping them feel they're not alone'."

      (6) "For people in the armed forces overseas in Afghanistan or Iran, similar
      things happen. You have a dad or a brother over in Afghanistan and every day
      you're wondering 'Are they okay?' That is continual stress. So (those) kids
      might send Halloween candy to the troops. This makes kids feel like they're
      doing something... It gives a sense of: 'I can do something. I feel a little
      bit more in control. I can contribute.' Kids feel good when they help people."

      From [3]Cafe Mom's The Stir Oct. 13, 2010. Read complete article [4]here.

      Learn more about how you can help the child in your life develop the skills for
      life's challenges. Read The Power of Your Child's Imagination: How to Transform
      Stress and Anxiety into Joy and Success (Perigee/Penguin). [5]

      [6]Order here and receive 80+ free downloadable gifts and discounts on CDs.

      Time to bring Dr. Reznick to your school or organization . . .

      Last week we had two great events. Wonderfully enthusiastic participants wrote:

      "You're workshop today was absolutely wonderful. I loved your stories and your
      great techniques. And of course, your loving heart really shone through. I'm so
      glad I had the chance to see you in action. You were awesome."

      "I can't tell you how much I enjoyed Saturday afternoon. It was so timely and
      inspiring. My boys love the new CD. I need to buy more!!!"

      "I'm devouring your book. Do you do more workshops??"

      To arrange for presentations
      Contact Diane Carter, Assistant Email: dianecarter7@...
      Call 818/634-6696
      or
      DrReznick@...
      Call 310/889-7859

      Focus On...

      The Power of Your Child's Imagination Companion Double Plus CD

      Empower your child with easy, effective, and creative skills for meeting life's
      challenges.

      The double plus CD is jam packed with all the healing, deeply relaxing scripts
      that are found in the subject chapters of The Power of Your Child's
      Imagination: How to Transform Stress and Anxiety into Joy and Success
      (Perigee/Penguin). It's a terrific tool for parents and professionals to help
      kids tap into and develop the positive power of their imagination. Dr.
      Reznick's soothing voice along with the complementary musical background make a
      powerful combination. Mix and match what works for your family.

      Here's what you'll receive on these indispensable CDs.

      First CD:

      1. Loving Yourself From Day One (14:43)

      2. Health and Healing (10:27)

      3. Freezing Warts with Ice Cream (4:10)

      4. Feeling Safe (10:18)

      5. Blanket of Sleep (12:58)

      Second CD:

      1. Blanket of Sleep... For a Dry Bed (15:35)

      2. Grief Comfort (13:58)

      3. Meadow of Peace and Gentleness (12:51)

      4. Goals and Achievement (11:32)

      5. Connecting From the Heart (12:33)

      [7]Listen to audio sample

      [8]Learn more and order here

      Imagery International loves these CDs!

      "I think that the book and companion CD set are not only a great resource for
      parents, but for therapists, and other professionals working with children who
      are interested in learning how to tap into the power of imagery"

      Jane Butterworth, MFT

      [9]Read the full review

      With love and light,

      Featured Teachers

      Stages of Life + Soul Movement
      Teleclass Series

      with Barbara J. Semple

      Stages of Life + Soul Movement is an intimate series of teleclasses presented
      by self-healing activiist and best selling author, Barbara J. Semple with very
      special guests. I'm pleased to be part of these amazing teleclasses. Beginning
      November 11th, Stages of Life brings you 11 experts and 12 classes of
      uncomplicated information as well as energy self help to nurture healing
      interaction with your own creative soul. I'll be a guest for Stage 3's class on
      Middle Childhood. And the renown Dr. Bernie Siegel will be a guest in the last
      class, Death and Dying. Oriental wisdom says that if the child is experiencing
      discomforts, care for the parent. Stages of Life will look at this in details.

      [10]Find out more here.

      About Dr. Charlotte Reznick
      Charlotte Reznick PhD specializes in helping children and adolescents develop
      the emotional skills necessary for a happy and successful life. She is a
      licensed educational psychologist and Associate Clinical Professor of
      Psychology at UCLA. Dr. Charlotte is the creator of Imagery For Kids^TM:
      Breakthrough for Learning, Creativity, and Empowerment and is the author/
      producer of several therapeutic CDs for children, teens, and parents. An
      international workshop leader on the healing power of children's imagination,
      she maintains a private practice in Los Angeles, California. Visit
      [11]www.ImageryForKids.com

      THE POWER OF YOUR CHILD'S IMAGINATION

      PRESENTATION POSSIBILITIES

      Bring Dr. Charlotte to your School or Organization... available worldwide

      Give the gift of the Nine Imagination Tools to develop inner resources and
      thrive in our challenging world.

      "The Healing Power of Children's Imagination
      "How to Be Your Own Stress-Reduction Therapist"

      Contact:
      Diane Carter, Assistant Email DianeCarter7@... or Phone 818/634-6696 or
      Dr. Charlotte directly DrReznick@...

      BOOK LAUNCH

      Nov. 10
      Radio Interview
      Holistic Answers to Mental Health
      Host Aileen Nealie
      10:00-11:00 am (Pacific)
      [12](Link to show)

      COMING IN 2011

      Jan. 11
      School Presentation
      Turning Point School
      8:30-1:00 am
      Culver City, CA

      Jan. 12
      School Presentation
      Roosevelt Elem. School
      7:00-8:00 pm
      Santa Monica, CA

      Imagery For Kids | 11911 San Vicente Blvd. | Suite 240 - Brentwood | Los
      Angeles, CA 90049

      Counseling Services, Guided Imagery, and Meditation Training offered to clients
      living in: Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Pacific Palisades, Malibu, Beverly Hills,
      Beverly Glen, Culver City, Brentwood, Westwood, Marina Del Rey, Mar Vista,
      Encino, Sherman Oaks, Topanga Beach and Topanga Canyon, Ocean Park, Hancock
      Park, West Hollywood.

      Consultation, Workshops, Trainings and Speaking Offered Worldwide: U.S.,
      Europe, Asia, Australia, South America, Africa.

      All Content Copyright ©2010 Charlotte Reznick PhD, All rights reserved.