The Healing Power of Family Play

  • Dr. Charlotte Reznick PhD
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 19, 2010
      If you are having trouble viewing this message, please go to http://community.icontact.com/p/wwwimageryforkids/newsletters/powerofyourchildsimagination/posts/the-healing-power-of-family-play

      [1]

      DEAR COMMUNITY,

      The Healing Power of Family Play

      Many years ago I happened upon a magical island in the Mediterranean where
      families from all parts of Europe took their holidays. The beaches have the
      warmest, clearest aqua waters, there are fascinating prehistoric "taula" ruins,
      a bit like Stonehenge sprinkled about, and the old towns take me back to a
      charming other time. I've been fortunate to return almost every year, except
      the last four while intensely writing and sharing my book with the world. So
      when I was able to return this summer, I was struck by the delightful healing
      possibilities of family play..

      Across the island beaches so many languages were spoken, it was hard to keep
      up. My Spanish was not close enough to Italian, my basic French is barely
      similar to Catalan, and I'm lost for German and Dutch. Even the English accents
      were difficult to decipher. Not understanding what the families around me were
      saying proved perfect. Because I could only observe the interactions of the
      families - their faces, movements, joy, laughter - without the distractions of
      words, I could focus on perhaps an even deeper communication.

      I saw a giant, gentle German bringing his hesitant 3-year-old into the waves,
      sharing the excitement of the unexpected while keeping him safe. Sitting
      nearby, an Italian mom tenderly rubbed sunscreen on her little girl's back. In
      a secluded cove, a French father played "chef de cuisine" with his 9-year-old
      daughter. Carefully and slowly, the little girl made sand crepes for breakfast,
      lunch, and dinner, while her dad patiently waited and gratefully accepted her
      masterpiece meals. Other families built sand castles, complete with moats and
      bridges as if they were building an amazing architectural wonder. And the teens
      were jumping off high cliffs into the sea below - from heights I had to almost
      close my eyes to.

      But what I noticed most, was that the families were happy. They were in the
      moment, totally loving, and enjoying each other. There was nary a video game to
      be found. Their two or three weeks of fun in the sun allowed a balance to their
      busy lives back home. But for how long? I realized the importance of sharing
      family play time... all year. No hidden agenda, nothing to learn or teach. Just
      have fun.

      Now that school is starting, consider making a commitment to your family's play
      time happiness. Here are 5 tips for success... [2]Read more

      SPECIAL EVENT . . .

      [3]Mindful Awarenss Research Center (MARC) Workshop at UCLA:

      October 16 (1-5 pm)

      [4]The Healing Power of

      [5]Children's Imagination

      Can you calm a four-year-old's nightmares, a six-year-old's fright of the first
      day of school, a nine-year old's terrible temper, or a 13-year-old's chronic
      headaches? This fall I'm offering a rich visual and experiential workshop on
      how to harness the healing powers of a child's imagination. Nine simple
      imagination tools will be shared to help you empower the children you care
      about cope with stress and anxiety by accessing their natural strengths and
      resources.

      You will walk away knowing how to teach children you either live with or work
      with to fish for the food of the soul, of the growing Self, with the tools of
      imagination. In the workshop, we'll cover how to help children:

      * Love, accept, and appreciate themselves

      * Reduce pain and heal other physical ailments

      * Overcome fears, such as fear of the unknown,

      abandonment, doctors, disasters, and dying

      * Deal with bedtime issues such as insomnia

      and bedwetting

      * Cope with death, divorce, and other losses

      * Handle anger, hurt, and frustration

      * Achieve success at school and in sports

      * Live peacefully with siblings and parents

      If you would like to transform the lives of children that you care about, if
      you'd like to help them access their innate wisdom and intuition... [6]then
      join us[7]!

      Early Registration Discount (till Sept. 15)

      Attendees will receive a copy of The Power of Your Child's Imagination: How to
      Transform Stress and Anxiety into Joy and Success (Perigee/Penguin, 2009).

      DATE: Saturday, October 16

      TIME: 1:00 - 5:00 PM

      PLACE: UCLA's Neuroscience Research Building

      COST: $50 EARLY DISCOUNT: $35

      CEUs available for LCSWs, MFTs, RNs. CEUs for Psychologists and MDs pending.

      [8]For more info and to register

      Summertime Gift Packs for Kids and Parents (25% off)
      Available for a few more days...

      Give the gift of deep relaxation and self-love to the children and parents in
      your life.

      Kids Gift Pack: Empower your child with easy, effective, and creative skills
      for thriving in our challenging world. Tap into the positive power of your
      child's imagination and access their natural strength and confidence. Choose
      any combination of two CDs (or more). An added bonus is the "Listen to your
      heart..." heart lovey - helps reduce stress just by holding it. [9]Learn More
      and Order Here

      Parent Gift Pack: Contains the LA Times best selling book, The Power of Your
      Child's Imagination: How to Transform Stress and Anxiety into Joy and Success
      sharing secrets to empower children to reach their potential, plus The Cave of
      Great Wisdom Parent Support CD, lovinging created and especially designed for
      parents to be guided to a sanctuary of inner peace. The "Listen to your
      heart...." heart lovey is an added bonus stress reducer. [10]Learn More and
      Order Here.

      With love and light,

      Featured Teacher

      Imagery International
      Annual Conference

      Imagery International, a wonderful professional organization of guided imagery
      practitioners, is having their Second Annual Conference, IMAGERY FOR THE
      FUTURE: llluminating Lives, October 22-24 at Vallenbrosa Center, Menlo Park,
      CA. Six outstanding workshops and an experiential imagery practice session will
      be offered. The event is co-sponsored by Beyond Ordinary Nursing and offers 11
      CEUs for nurses, social workers and MFTs . Do yourself a favor and register
      today.[11] More info and to register.

      About Dr. Charlotte Reznick
      Charlotte Reznick PhD specializes in helping children and adolescents develop
      the emotional skills necessary for a happy and successful life. She is a
      licensed educational psychologist and Associate Clinical Professor of
      Psychology at UCLA. Dr. Charlotte is the creator of Imagery For Kids^TM:
      Breakthrough for Learning, Creativity, and Empowerment and is the author/
      producer of several therapeutic CDs for children, teens, and parents. An
      international workshop leader on the healing power of children's imagination,
      she maintains a private practice in Los Angeles, California. Visit
      [12]www.ImageryForKids.com

      THE POWER OF YOUR CHILD'S IMAGINATION

      BOOK LAUNCH

      Aug. 23
      Radio Interview
      Chuck & Don Show

      KMA 960 AM / 99.1 FM (Iowa,Nebraska)
      Host Chuck Morris & Don Hansen
      9:38-9:48 am (Central)

      7:38-7:48 am (Pacific)

      [13](Link to show)

      Aug. 25

      Radio Interview

      Mills Crenshaw Show

      K-Talk Radio
      KTKK 630 AM (Utah)

      Host Mills Crenshaw

      10:00-10:15 am (Mtn)

      9:00-9:15 am (Pacific)

      [14](Link to show)

      Aug. 27

      Radio Interview

      The Idea Exchange WBEV-AM 1430 (SE Wisconsin)

      Host Brenda Murphy

      8:05-8:20 am (Pacific)

      10:05-10:20 am (Central)

      [15](Link to station)

      Radio Interview

      Tim & Dean Show

      KMA 960 AM (Iowa, Nebraska)

      Hosts Tim Wayne & Dean Adkins

      11:40-11:50 am (Pacific)

      1:40-1:50 pm (Central)

      [16] (Link to show)

      Sept. 11
      Radio Interview
      Body Talk

      KTIP-AM 1450 (CA)
      Host Mimi Stoneburner
      2:00 - 3:00 pm (Pacific)
      (repeats 9/19 4-5 pm)

      [17](Link to show)

      Sept. 13

      Radio Interview

      Paradise Radio Network

      WCBQ-AM 1340 &

      WHNC-AM 890 (NC)
      Host Dr. Alvin Augustus Jones
      6:40-6:49 am (Pacific)
      9:40-9:49 am (East)
      [18](Link to show)

      Sept. 16
      Radio Interview
      The Sheila Show
      KNRY-AM 1240
      (Monterey. CA)
      Host Sheila Gayle
      6:00-7:00 pm (Pacific)
      [19](Link to show)

      Sept. 17
      Radio Interview
      Writers Voices Live Talk Radio
      KRUU 100.1 FM (Iowa)
      Hosts Monica Hadley & Caroline Kilboum

      11:00 am-12:00 noon (Pacific)
      1:00-2:00 pm (Central)
      [20](Link to show)

      Oct. 4
      Radio Interview
      The Way of the Toddler Show
      KKNW 1150 AM & 98.9HD FM/ CBS Radio (Seattle)
      Host Leta Hamilton
      9:00-10:00 am (Pacific)
      [21](Link to show)

      Oct. 13
      School Presentation
      Westwood Charter Elementary
      7:30-9:00 pm
      Westwood, CA

      Oct. 16

      Public Training & Workshop
      Mindful Awareness Research Center (MARC) at UCLA 1:00-5:00 pm
      CEUs available
      Phone: 310/206-7503[22]
      [23](To enroll)

      COMING IN 2011

      Jan. 11

      School Presentation

      Turning Point School

      8:30-1:00 am

      Culver City, CA

      Imagery For Kids | 11911 San Vicente Blvd. | Suite 240 - Brentwood | Los
      Angeles, CA 90049

      Counseling Services, Guided Imagery, and Meditation Training offered to clients
      living in: Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Pacific Palisades, Malibu, Beverly Hills,
      Beverly Glen, Culver City, Brentwood, Westwood, Marina Del Rey, Mar Vista,
      Encino, Sherman Oaks, Topanga Beach and Topanga Canyon, Ocean Park, Hancock
      Park, West Hollywood.

      Consultation, Workshops, Trainings and Speaking Offered Worldwide: U.S.,
      Europe, Asia, Australia, South America, Africa.

      All Content Copyright ©2010 Charlotte Reznick PhD, All rights reserved.