Helping Children Comprehend and Cope with Catastrophe

  • Dr. Charlotte Reznick PhD
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 18, 2010
      If you are having trouble viewing this message, please go to http://community.icontact.com/p/wwwimageryforkids/newsletters/powerofyourchildsimagination/posts/helping-children-comprehend-and-cope-with-catastrophe

      Dear Community,
      Helping Children Comprehend
      and Cope with Catastrophe
      My heart breaks as I watch continued coverage of the devastation in
      Haiti. Here's my small part in helping your children cope with what they
      see on the news from my article for Psychology Today's blog.
      The emotional effects on children of a large-scale catastrophe or
      disaster, such as the recent earthquake in Haiti, can be tremendous. Even
      though this tragedy was not on our home turf, our children can feel
      especially helpless when they see images of homeless and injured Haitian
      children and orphans on the news. Kids also absorb worry and sadness from
      their parents, or from classmates who have family ties in Haiti.
      One of the difficulties experienced by parents is that they have not had
      adequate time to deal with their own reactions when they are called upon to
      deal with the impact on their children. Emotional reactions vary in nature
      and severity from child to child. Their responses to a disaster are
      determined by age, previous experiences, temperament and personality, and
      the immediacy of the disaster to their own lives.
      If you know a child who is showing signs of worry, stress, or fear that
      may be related to the Haitian earthquake and its aftermath – such as
      stomachaches, sleeplessness, bedwetting, or moodiness – I'd like to offer
      some ideas about how to help kids comprehend and deal with such a
      Tips to Help a Child Cope / How Kids Can Help Haiti

      Read more

      Help Transform The Lives Of Kids and Receive 80+ Free Bonus Gifts
      When you order The Power of Your Child's Imagination: How to Transform
      Stress and Anxiety into Joy and Success (Perigee/Penguin, 2009) on line.
      - [http://www.imageryforkids.com/book/] Order Here

      Special Gold Package Discount Offer
      for the companion relaxation CDs
      is at [http://www.imageryforkids.com/bookpromoGold2.html] Imagery For
      [http://www.imageryforkids.com/shop.html] Other therapeutic CDs at
      ImageryFor Kids.
      Please share these offers with friends, family, and anyone you feel would
      benefit from helping transform the lives of children!

      Agape Spiritual Center
      Special Workshop Presentation: This coming Sunday
      January 24th (2:00-5:00 PM) I'm honored to offer a donation only workshop
      at Agape Spiritual Center in Culver City, CA. If you're in the Los Angeles
      area this is a rare opportunity to experience a full 3-hour workshop about
      The Healing Power of Children's Imagination.
      In the workshop, we’ll cover how to help a child:

      - Love, accept, and appreciate himself
      - Reduce pain and heal other physical ailments
      - Overcome fears, such as fear of the unknown, abandonment, doctors,
      disasters, and dying
      - Deal with bedtime issues such as insomnia and bedwetting
      - Cope with death, divorce, and other losses
      - Handle anger, hurt, and frustration
      - Achieve success at school and in sports
      - Live peacefully with siblings and parents You will walk away knowing
      how to teach children to fish… for the food of the soul, of the growing
      Self, with the tools of imagination. If you'd like to transform the lives
      of children that you care about, if you’d like to help them access their
      innate wisdom and intuition… then join us.

      Click here for more info

      Dr. Charlotte Helps Kids Relieve Stress on TV
      Happy to share a video clip from my recent interview on ABC TV, Good
      Morning America's (Families & Parenting) show seen nationwide (check your
      local listings for ABC News Now). Hope you enjoy
      [http://abcnews.go.com/Video/playerIndex?id=9556254] Click here to view

      With love and light,
      Dr. Charlotte

      featured teachers
      Think or Sink
      by Gina Mollicone-Long
      Are you ready to make 2010 your biggest year ever? This book is
      not about New Year’s resolutions – it's about New Year’s REVOLUTIONS!
      Discover one choice that can change everything. Best-selling author Gina
      Mollicone-Long has been transforming lives for over a decade now. She
      claims that she has never seen a problem that can’t be solved in 12 hours
      or less. Now she’s put her secrets into her newest book called THINK OR
      SINK. The techniques are easy to understand and can make a difference in
      your life. When you buy a copy TODAY you will get over 100 gift bonuses
      from some of the leading success experts and best-selling authors like Bob
      Proctor, Mark Victor Hansen, Marci Shimoff, Peggy McColl and John Gray
      (including yours truly) just to name a few. These bonuses are worth
      thousands. Check out [http://www.ginaml.com/think/]
      http://www.ginaml.com/think now.

      Psychotherapy Networker
      Symposium 2010
      I’m pleased to be a presenter at this year’s Networker
      Symposium 2010 in Washington DC, March 25-28. I’d like to invite you to
      learn more about the Networker and its commitment to providing the most
      stimulating learning experiences available. Right now, they’re launching
      something new—NETWORKER Plugged-In—a year-round online
      teaching/learning community.
      When you add your name to Networker Plugged-In Resource List
      you’ll receive these Networker resources FREE: “A Week of Silence,” a
      highly personal and insightful article about the struggles and rewards of
      devoting a week to mindfulness by 2010 Symposium keynoter Daniel Siegel
      PLUS an MP3 audio of the Networker’s inspiring Interview with Salvador
      Here’s How To Get Your Free Resources. If you are NEW to the
      Networker, [http://visitor.constantcontact.com/d.jsp?m=1101423675177&p=oi]
      click here
      If you ALREADY receive Networker updates,
      [mailto:presentercontacts@...] email here

      About Dr. Charlotte Reznick
      Charlotte Reznick PhD specializes in helping children and adolescents
      develop the emotional skills necessary for a happy and successful life. She
      is a licensed educational psychologist and Associate Clinical Professor of
      Psychology at UCLA. Dr. Charlotte is the creator of Imagery For Kids^TM:
      Breakthrough for Learning, Creativity, and Empowerment and is the
      author/producer of the several therapeutic CDs for children, teens, and
      parents. An international workshop leader on the healing power of
      children's imagination, she maintains a private practice in Los Angeles,
      California. Visit [http://www.ImageryForKids.com] www.ImageryForKids.com

      The Power
      of Your Child's Imagination
      Jan 15-20
      The Wise Counsel Podcast
      Host David Van Nuys PhD
      Featured interview from 1/15-1/30
      [http://www.mentalhelp.net/poc/view_index.php?idx=119&w=9] Link to show
      Jan 20
      Radio Interview
      10 am PST / 11 am MST
      Moms the Word - KLZ 560 AM
      Hosts Maureen Brown
      and Maura Ridder
      [http://www.momsthewordshow.com] momsthewordshow.com
      [http://www.560thesource.com] 560thesource.com
      Jan 21
      School Presentation
      Kenter Canyon
      Elementary School PTA
      8:30 - 10:00 AM
      Brentwood, Los Angeles
      Jan 22
      School Presentation
      Westland School
      10:00 - 11:30 AM
      Los Angeles, CA
      Jan 24
      Public Workshop
      Agape International Spiritual Center
      2:00 - 5:00 PM
      Culver City, CA

      Jan 29
      Radio Interview
      3:00 - 3:30 PM PST
      BBS Radio
      The Donna Seebo Show
      [http://www.bbsradio.com/bbs_talk_radio_station1.php] Link to show
      Feb 11
      School Presentation
      New Roads Elementary
      6:30 - 8:30 PM
      Santa Monica, CA
      Feb 13
      Radio Interview
      Holistic Children Radio Show
      Host: Cathi Curen
      9:00 - 9:30 AM (Pacific)
      [http://holisticchildrenradio.homestead.com/index.html] Link to show
      Feb 18
      School Presentation
      Westmark School
      eve (TBA)
      Encino, CA
      Feb. 25
      Public Talk & Booksigning
      Village Books
      7:30 pm
      Pacific Palisades, CA
      March 6
      Workshop at Conference
      Anxiety Disorders
      Association of America
      10:30-12:00 noon
      Baltimore, MD

      Link to conference
      March 8
      School Presentation
      California Association
      of Independent Schools
      CAIS Regional Meeting
      11:00-12:30 pm
      Campbell Hall School
      North Hollywood, CA
      March 27
      Workshop at Conference
      Psychotherapy Networker
      3:00-5:00 PM
      Washington DC
      [http://www.psychotherapynetworker.org/] Link to conference

      Coming Soon
      Radio Interview
      Men and Women of the World
      Host: Helga Sitkin
      2:00 - 2:15 PM (Pacific)
      KCLA 99.3 FM & KALS 97.1 FM
      [http://www.kclafm.com/] Link to show
      Radio Interview
      KTKK AM 630
      Airs Salt Lake City, UT
      Host: Linda Strasburg
      2:30 - 3:00 (Mountain)
      1:30 - 2:00 (Pacific)
      [http://www.k-talk.com/] Link to show
      Radio Interview
      Health Radio Network
      Feelin' Just Ducky
      Host: Barbara Alexander
      [http://www.moneydots.com/] Check here for time listings

      Imagery For Kids | 11911 San Vicente Blvd. | Suite 240 - Brentwood
      | Los Angeles, CA 90049
      Counseling Services, Guided Imagery, and Meditation Training offered to
      clients living in: Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Pacific Palisades, Malibu,
      Beverly Hills, Beverly Glen, Culver City, Brentwood, Westwood, Marina Del
      Rey, Mar Vista, Encino, Sherman Oaks, Topanga Beach and Topanga Canyon,
      Ocean Park, Hancock Park, West Hollywood.
      Consultation, Workshops, Trainings and Speaking Offered Worldwide: U.S.,
      Europe, Asia, Australia, South America, Africa.
      All Content Copyright ©2009 Charlotte Reznick PhD, All rights reserved |
      Photo of Dr. Reznick by Dana Patrick | Design by
      [http://www.mckinleybrown.com] McKinleyBrown

      This message was sent by: Imagery For Kids, 11911 San Vicente Blvd.
      Suite 240 - Brentwood
      , Los Angeles, CA 90049

      Email Marketing by iContact: http://freetrial.icontact.com

      Manage your subscription:

      Forward to a friend:

      Comment on this message in the iContact Community:

      Receive our messages as an RSS feed: