Giving is Good For Your Health

  • Dr. Charlotte Reznick PhD
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 30, 2009
      If you are having trouble viewing this message, please go to http://community.icontact.com/p/wwwimageryforkids/newsletters/powerofyourchildsimagination/posts/giving-is-good-for-your-health

      Dear Community,
      Giving is Good For Your Health
      O Magazine is always in my office waiting room. It's upbeat, uplifting,
      and often inspirational. This month there is a wonderful article, "You
      Give, You Get" by Stephen Post PhD and Jill Neimark which relates to many
      of the Holiday Stress Busters I wrote about last time.
      They report research on the positive effects of giving - or even thinking
      about giving. Here are a few items that particularly touched me. See page
      227 in the December issue for more.
      "It's the thought that counts. Simply contemplating generosity boosts
      your immunity. When Harvard students watched a film about Mother Teresa
      tending to orphans, the number of protective antibodies in their saliva
      surged; when the students were asked to focus on times when they'd been
      loved by or loving to others, their antibody levels stayed elevated for an
      hour. In another study, the brain's pleasure centers lit up when people
      made check marks next to a list of organizations to which they wanted to
      donate."
      "Lend an ear, help your heart. Being generous with your attention can
      reduce your risk of heart attack. Cardiac arrest is highly correlated with
      the amount of self-reference ("I", "me," "my") in a person's speech. The
      best advice? Listen to and connect with others - social ties lower your
      risk of dying from heart disease."
      "Lend a hand, lower your pain. People suffering from chronic pain
      report decreased intensity, and less disability and depression, when they
      reach out to others in similar pain. In one study, pain was reduced by 13
      percent. Scientists believe the release of endorphins explains the
      phenomenon."
      "Goodness nose. In a study conducted at Carnegie Mellon Univeristy,
      people who were socially connected reported catching fewer colds.
      Volunteering is, of course, one of the simplest ways to connect."

      These truths have inspired me to want to tape into my continued deep desire to empower children. I want to give more; I hope you do too.
      So here it is - My Gifts to you include:
      FREE White light meditation
      for children of all ages. (That includes you! )
      Go to [http://www.imageryforkids.com/gift.html]
      www.ImageryForKids.com/gift.html, take 6 minutes out of your busy day and
      be transported to a sanctuary of inner peace.

      Deep Discounts on
      Holiday Gift Packs - 25% Off!
      Only here for a short time, please take advantage of the Special
      Discount Stress-Reducing Holiday Gift Packages for Kids and Parents. Give
      the gift of deep relaxation and self-love to the children and parents you
      care about. [Free Gift Wrapping included.]
      [http://www.imageryforkids.com/holidaySpecial.html] The Holiday Gift Pack
      for Kids -25% Off!
      [Basic Holiday Gift Pack for Kids
      contains 2 CDs and a Heart Lovey]
      Pick an extra CD or two and get 25% off each additional CD!
      Your choice of GIFT WRAPPING.

      These indispensable CDs will empower your child with easy, effective, and
      creative skills for thriving in our challenging world - tapping into the
      positive power of their imagination and accessing their natural strengths
      and confidence. Choose the combination that works best for you! An added
      bonus is the "Listen to your heart..." heart lovey - helps reduce stress
      just by holding it.
      [http://www.imageryforkids.com/holidaySpecial.html] Learn More and Order
      Here

      [http://www.imageryforkids.com/holidaySpecial.html] The Holiday Gift Pack
      for Parents - 25% Off!
      (Book, CD, & Heart Lovey)
      Your choice of GIFT WRAPPING.

      Receive The Power of Your Child's Imagination: How to Transform Stress
      and Anxiety into Joy and Success (Perigee/Penguin, 2009), a LA Times best
      selling book, offering nine tools to help your child achieve peace and life
      success, along with The Cave of Great Wisdom CD. Especially designed for
      parent support, you will be guided to a sanctuary of inner peace and
      connect with new found wisdom through soothing words and gentle music,
      awakening your rich and creative inner resources. As a bonus, the "Listen
      to your heart..." heart lovey - is an added reminder to trust yourself..
      [http://www.imageryforkids.com/holidaySpecial.html] Learn More and Order
      Here

      80+ Free Bonus Gifts
      When you order The Power of Your Child's Imagination: How to Transform
      Stress and Anxiety into Joy and Success (Perigee/Penguin, 2009) on line.
      [http://www.imageryforkids.com/book/] Order Here

      With love and light, Dr. Charlotte

      featured Teachers
      Imagery International Imagery International is a
      non-profit association whose members are passionate practitioners of guided
      imagery. Whether in hospitals, healing centers, consulting businesses, or
      private practice, member practitioners have joined forces through this
      association to promote the use of guided imagery and the powerful capacity
      of all humans to heal through the focused and skilled application of the
      imagination. Download a current copy of their journal
      [http://www.imageryinternational.org/imaginews.htm] ImagiNews at
      [http://www.imageryinternational.org/newsletters/sept09issue.pdf]
      www.imageryinternational.org. Go to [http://www.imageryinternational.org/]
      www.imageryinternational.org for more info.
      Sunday Dec. 6th at 5:30-6:30 PST I'll be leading a tele-class
      on "The Healing Power of Children's Imagination." I invite you all to
      attend. To sign up email: [mailto:iioffice@...]
      iioffice@...

      Free yoga for kids classes
      with Shana Meyerson
      Shana will be teaching four free 1/2-hour yoga classes for kids
      on Saturdays, 12/12 and 12/19 at the brand new ucla family commons, located
      at 1221 2nd street inSanta Monica, CA!
      These free classes will be from 9.30-10.00am and 10.00-10.30am
      (ages 4-10 recommended, parents encouraged to join in!). Go to
      [http://www.miniyogis.com/step.htm] www.miniyogis.com/step.htm for more
      info and to sign up for her Free Yoga Tips each week.
      About Dr. Charlotte Reznick
      Charlotte Reznick PhD specializes in helping children and adolescents
      develop the emotional skills necessary for a happy and successful life. She
      is a licensed educational psychologist and Associate Clinical Professor of
      Psychology at UCLA. Dr. Charlotte is the creator of Imagery For KidsTM:
      Breakthrough for Learning, Creativity, and Empowerment and is the
      author/producer of the several therapeutic CDs for children, teens, and
      parents. An international workshop leader on the healing power of
      children's imagination, she maintains a private practice in Los Angeles,
      California. Visit [http://www.ImageryForKids.com] www.ImageryForKids.com

      The Power
      of Your Child's Imagination
      BOOK LAUNCH
      Dec. 1
      Radio Interview
      Frankie Boyer Lifestyle Show
      9:05-9:25 AM (PST) &
      [http://www.frankieboyer.com] Check times & stations here
      or Listen Live on web
      ([http://www.lifestyletalkradio.com/index.shtml] Link to show)
      Dec 6
      Free TeleChat
      for Imagery International
      5:30 - 6:30 PM (Pacific)
      8:30 - 9:30 PM (East coast)
      Email Imagery International at
      [mailto:iioffice@...]
      iioffice@...
      to sign up and for further info
      Dec 10
      Radio Interview
      KGNU FM Tributaries
      88.5 FM in Boulder,
      1390 AM in the Denver area
      Host Robin Claire
      9:00 - 9:30 am (Pacific)
      10:00 - 10:30 (Mtn)
      ([http://www.tributariesradio.org/] Link to show)

      Dec 16
      Radio Interview
      The Parent's Journal
      National Public Radio Stations
      Host: Bobbi Conner
      ([http://www.parentsjournal.com/radioshow] Link to show)

      Jan 8
      Radio Interview
      KOSS Broad Perspective
      News Talk 1380 AM
      Host Vivian Komori
      11:15 AM - 12:00 PM (PST)
      ([http://www.newstalk1380.com/onair_page.php?id=46] Link to show)
      Jan 21
      School Presentation
      Kenter Canyon
      Elementary School PTA
      Brentwood, Los Angeles
      Jan 24
      Public Workshop
      Agape International Spiritual Center
      2:00 - 5:00 PM
      Culver City, CA

      ([http://www.agapelive.com/index.php?anchor=calendar&cal_month=1&cal_year=2010&cal_cat_id=0&sx=0&sy=0&cal_event_id=1476&cal_event_date=1264320000&cal_clipboard_event=]
      Link)
      Feb 11
      School Presentation
      New Roads Elementary
      6:30 - 8:30 PM
      Santa Monica, CA
      March 6
      Workshop at Conference
      Anxiety Disorders
      Association of America
      10:30 - 12 Noon
      Baltimore, MD
      ([http://www.adaa.org/conference&events/AnnualConference.asp] Link to
      conference)
      March 27
      Workshop at Conference
      Psychotherapy Networker
      3:00 - 5:00 PM
      Washington DC
      ([http://www.psychotherapynetworker.org/] Link to conference)
      Coming Soon
      Radio Interview
      KTKK AM 630
      Airs Salt Lake City, UT
      Host: Linda Strasburg
      2:30 - 3:00 (Mountain)
      1:30 - 2:00 (Pacific)
      ([http://www.k-talk.com/] Link to show)
      Radio Interview
      Health Radio Network
      Feelin' Just Ducky
      Host: Barbara Alexander
      [http://www.moneydots.com/] Check here for time listings
      Podcast
      Shrink Rap Radio
      Host David Van Nuys PhD
      10:00 - 11:00 AM
      ([http://www.shrinkrapradio.com/] Link to show)

      Imagery For Kids | 11911 San Vicente Blvd. | Suite 240 - Brentwood
      | Los Angeles, CA 90049
      Counseling Services, Guided Imagery, and Meditation Training offered to
      clients living in: Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Pacific Palisades, Malibu,
      Beverly Hills, Beverly Glen, Culver City, Brentwood, Westwood, Marina Del
      Rey, Mar Vista, Encino, Sherman Oaks, Topanga Beach and Topanga Canyon,
      Ocean Park, Hancock Park, West Hollywood.
      Consultation, Workshops, Trainings and Speaking Offered Worldwide: U.S.,
      Europe, Asia, Australia, South America, Africa.
      All Content Copyright ©2009 Charlotte Reznick PhD, All rights reserved |
      Photo of Dr. Reznick by Dana Patrick | Design by
      [http://www.mckinleybrown.com] McKinleyBrown

      [http://www.imageryforkids.com/learnMore.html]
      This message was sent by: Imagery For Kids, 11911 San Vicente Blvd.
      Suite 240 - Brentwood
      , Los Angeles, CA 90049

      Email Marketing by iContact: http://freetrial.icontact.com

      Manage your subscription:
      http://app.icontact.com/icp/mmail-mprofile.pl?r=34383555&l=19214&s=UEDO&m=330060&c=513905

      Forward to a friend:
      http://app.icontact.com/icp/sub/forward?m=330060&s=34383555&c=UEDO&cid=513905

      Comment on this message in the iContact Community:
      http://community.icontact.com/p/wwwimageryforkids/newsletters/powerofyourchildsimagination/posts/giving-is-good-for-your-health#commentform

      Receive our messages as an RSS feed:
      http://community.icontact.com/p/wwwimageryforkids/newsletters/powerofyourchildsimagination/rss.xml?r=34383555&l=19214&s=UEDO&m=330060&c=513905