Disinfo About Grouply

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 4, 2008
      I have now blocked my groups, indigo-parents,
      indigo-children, and alternacare from being
      accessed by Grouply, and from receiving Gouply
      invitations, because I'm weary of all the commotion it causes.

      BLOCK YOUR YAHOO GROUP (takes 1 minute)
      http://www.grouply.com/owner_controls.php

      As a group owner, I had read a lot of stuff about
      Grouply, and there are a lot of "scary" misconceptions about Grouply.

      I read all the shock that was being posted about
      it, and got all worried, and then I read the Grouply site.
      I'm not worried about Grouply anymore.

      Here are some snippets from Grouply - its good to
      read the whole page and be accurately informed about Grouply
      http://blog.grouply.com/protect/

      How does Grouply protect the confidentiality of my group messages?

      As part of Grouply’s service to provide a better
      interface to your existing online groups, Grouply
      offers you the ability to post and read group
      messages on the Grouply website. Grouply, like
      Gmail and all email-reading systems, has a
      security mechanism to ensure that you get to see
      only the messages you are supposed to. You must
      be a member of a given group in order to see that
      group’s messages in Grouply. This restriction
      applies to Grouply employees as well. A Grouply
      employee cannot access a group’s messages unless she belongs to the group.
      ~~~~~~~~~~
      As of May 2008, you
      <http://blog.grouply.com/grouply-social-inbox/>no
      longer need to provide your Yahoo password to use Grouply.
      ~~~~~~~~~~
      Someone is spreading false anti-Grouply rumors in
      one of my groups. What should I do?

      Certainly everyone is entitled to their opinion
      about what constitutes a useful internet service.
      Unfortunately, sometimes the line is crossed, and
      several Grouply users have reported encountering
      anti-Grouply postings in their groups with false
      statements being presented as facts, not opinions. Examples include:
      * “Grouply automatically spams everyone in the group…”
      * “Grouply is a phisher and an identity thief…”
      * “Grouply makes private group information public…”
      * “Grouply is a scam…”

      Spreading false rumors (see
      <http://blog.grouply.com/protect/#spammer>I heard
      that Grouply is a spammer… for more examples)
      puts the author and the entire group at risk.
      <http://info.yahoo.com/legal/us/yahoo/utos/utos-173.html>Yahoo’s
      Terms of Service (TOS) prohibits “mak[ing]
      available any Content that is … defamatory … [or]
      libelous…”. Yahoo has shut down user accounts or
      entire groups when the TOS is violated.

      If you encounter any defamatory statements about
      Grouply, you might want to remind the group owner
      about Yahoo’s TOS and point them to
      <http://blog.grouply.com/protect/>http://blog.grouply.com/protect/
      for “the facts” about Grouply.

      ~~~~~~~~
      I am the owner of a group, and I would like to
      prevent members from posting invitations to Grouply.
      ~~~~~~~~
      I do not want my group members to use Grouply to
      access a group that I own. What do I do?