Herb'n Home Natural Living & Indigo Child Inspired News - May 2007

  • herbnhome
    Message 1 of 1 , May 4, 2007
      Herb'n Home May 2007 May 2007 - Vol 7, Issue 5 In This
      Issue Inspiration of the Month
      <http://us.f569.mail.yahoo.com/ym/ShowLetter?MsgId=7544_17134642_27857_1\
      486_25386_0_522354_91209_184133223&Idx=0&YY=7495&y5beta=yes&y5beta=yes&i\
      nc=100&order=down&sort=date&pos=0&view=a&head=b&box=Inbox#article1> My
      Mom's Cornbread
      <http://us.f569.mail.yahoo.com/ym/ShowLetter?MsgId=7544_17134642_27857_1\
      486_25386_0_522354_91209_184133223&Idx=0&YY=7495&y5beta=yes&y5beta=yes&i\
      nc=100&order=down&sort=date&pos=0&view=a&head=b&box=Inbox#article2>
      Letter to the Editor
      <http://us.f569.mail.yahoo.com/ym/ShowLetter?MsgId=7544_17134642_27857_1\
      486_25386_0_522354_91209_184133223&Idx=0&YY=7495&y5beta=yes&y5beta=yes&i\
      nc=100&order=down&sort=date&pos=0&view=a&head=b&box=Inbox#article3>
      Herbs in History
      <http://us.f569.mail.yahoo.com/ym/ShowLetter?MsgId=7544_17134642_27857_1\
      486_25386_0_522354_91209_184133223&Idx=0&YY=7495&y5beta=yes&y5beta=yes&i\
      nc=100&order=down&sort=date&pos=0&view=a&head=b&box=Inbox#article4>
      Letter from the Editor
      <http://us.f569.mail.yahoo.com/ym/ShowLetter?MsgId=7544_17134642_27857_1\
      486_25386_0_522354_91209_184133223&Idx=0&YY=7495&y5beta=yes&y5beta=yes&i\
      nc=100&order=down&sort=date&pos=0&view=a&head=b&box=Inbox#article5>
      Kitchen Pharmacy: MSG
      <http://us.f569.mail.yahoo.com/ym/ShowLetter?MsgId=7544_17134642_27857_1\
      486_25386_0_522354_91209_184133223&Idx=0&YY=7495&y5beta=yes&y5beta=yes&i\
      nc=100&order=down&sort=date&pos=0&view=a&head=b&box=Inbox#article6>
      Herbs in the NEWS
      <http://us.f569.mail.yahoo.com/ym/ShowLetter?MsgId=7544_17134642_27857_1\
      486_25386_0_522354_91209_184133223&Idx=0&YY=7495&y5beta=yes&y5beta=yes&i\
      nc=100&order=down&sort=date&pos=0&view=a&head=b&box=Inbox#article7>
      Kid's Corner: Robin Meditation
      <http://us.f569.mail.yahoo.com/ym/ShowLetter?MsgId=7544_17134642_27857_1\
      486_25386_0_522354_91209_184133223&Idx=0&YY=7495&y5beta=yes&y5beta=yes&i\
      nc=100&order=down&sort=date&pos=0&view=a&head=b&box=Inbox#article8>
      Book of the Month
      <http://us.f569.mail.yahoo.com/ym/ShowLetter?MsgId=7544_17134642_27857_1\
      486_25386_0_522354_91209_184133223&Idx=0&YY=7495&y5beta=yes&y5beta=yes&i\
      nc=100&order=down&sort=date&pos=0&view=a&head=b&box=Inbox#article9>
      Global Sister Goods
      <http://us.f569.mail.yahoo.com/ym/ShowLetter?MsgId=7544_17134642_27857_1\
      486_25386_0_522354_91209_184133223&Idx=0&YY=7495&y5beta=yes&y5beta=yes&i\
      nc=100&order=down&sort=date&pos=0&view=a&head=b&box=Inbox#article10>
      Website of the Month
      <http://us.f569.mail.yahoo.com/ym/ShowLetter?MsgId=7544_17134642_27857_1\
      486_25386_0_522354_91209_184133223&Idx=0&YY=7495&y5beta=yes&y5beta=yes&i\
      nc=100&order=down&sort=date&pos=0&view=a&head=b&box=Inbox#article11>
      Artist of the Month
      <http://us.f569.mail.yahoo.com/ym/ShowLetter?MsgId=7544_17134642_27857_1\
      486_25386_0_522354_91209_184133223&Idx=0&YY=7495&y5beta=yes&y5beta=yes&i\
      nc=100&order=down&sort=date&pos=0&view=a&head=b&box=Inbox#article12>
      Healing Power of PEWTER
      <http://us.f569.mail.yahoo.com/ym/ShowLetter?MsgId=7544_17134642_27857_1\
      486_25386_0_522354_91209_184133223&Idx=0&YY=7495&y5beta=yes&y5beta=yes&i\
      nc=100&order=down&sort=date&pos=0&view=a&head=b&box=Inbox#article13>
      Please visit... NEW! - IN THE NEWS!
      <http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?t=yzidt6bab.0.0.6sglptn6.0&p=http%3A%2F%2Fherbnit\
      es.tripod.com%2Finthenews%2F>
      The Dream Angels
      <http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?t=yzidt6bab.0.0.6sglptn6.0&p=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.the\
      dreamangels.com>
      Herb'n Home Ebay
      <http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?t=yzidt6bab.0.0.6sglptn6.0&p=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.eba\
      ystores.com%2Fherbnhome%3Frefid%3Dstore>
      Herb'n Home Discount Books
      <http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?t=yzidt6bab.0.0.6sglptn6.0&p=http%3A%2F%2Fshops.h\
      alf.ebay.com%2Fherbnhome_W0QQ>
      Dear Members,
      Happy Mother's Day to all mothers everywhere!

      Remember - we are all mothers to someone. Anyone who has been touched
      with our kind love and kind touch has felt the love of a mother from you
      and has been a better person because of it.

      This month I am making a special "mother's" offer that you can use with
      your mother, sister or friend. For the entire month of May if you
      purchase one online class from www.thedreamangels.com
      <http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?t=yzidt6bab.0.0.6sglptn6.0&p=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.the\
      dreamangels.com> you can get one for free to send to any "mother" you
      wish.

      You can also get the same "special" with online consultations. For each
      online consultation that you purchase I will send an online consultation
      to any mother you want. Each "online gift certificate" will be sent
      through the E- cards created by our "Artist of the Month" (see below).

      Happy Mother's Day!
      Blessings & Health,
      Kristie Karima Burns, MH, ND
      Inspiration of the Month In honor of all the mothers out there
      who are perhaps estranged from their child in some way...please read
      this children and mothers...
      People are often unreasonable and self-centered. Forgive them anyway.

      If you are kind, people may accuse you of ulterior motives. Be kind
      anyway.

      If you are honest, people may cheat you. Be honest anyway anyway.

      If you find happiness, people may be jealous. Be happy anyway.

      The good you do today may be forgotten tomorrow. Do good anyway.

      Give the world the best you have, and it may never be enough. Give your
      best anyway.

      For you see, in the end, it is between you and God. It was never between
      you and them anyway.

      - Mother Teresa- My Mom's Cornbread In honor of mother's day
      I thought I would share with you my absolute favorite recipe as a child!
      I LOVED these corn muffins and not just because they tasted good. They
      are cooked in a cast iron muffin pan and shaped like corn. If you have
      ever used cast iron you know that it is very healthy and also adds a
      wonderful taste to your cooking. Try these out and you will see. The
      cast iron muffin pan is the best but if you don't have one you can also
      cook these in a cast iron skillet or a regular muffin pan.
      Southern Corn Sticks

      1 1/2 cups yellow cornmeal
      1/2 cup flour
      1 teaspoon salt
      1 teaspoon baking powder
      1/2 teaspoon baking soda
      1 tablespoon sugar, if desired
      1 egg, slightly beaten
      1 1/4 cups milk
      1/4 cup melted butter or vegetable oil
      melted butter for brushing

      PREPARATION:
      Preheat oven to 425°. Grease corn stick pan with oil; place in the
      oven while making batter. In mixing bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, salt,
      baking powder, and soda; stir to blend. If you like your cornbread a
      little sweeter, add the 1 tablespoon of sugar. IN another bowl wisk
      together the egg, milk, and melted butter or oil; add to dry
      ingredients, stirring just until moistened. Spoon batter into the
      preheated corn stick pan, filling each mold about 3/4 full. Bake for 12
      to 15 minutes, or until golden brown. Let cool 5 minutes then carefully
      remove from pan. Brush with melted butter, if desired. Makes about 18
      corn sticks, or more if using a mini corn stick pan.

      This recipe should make about 12 muffins, baked in greased or sprayed
      (cooking oil spray) muffin cups at the same temperature for about 20 to
      25 minutes.
      Affordable Cast Iron Cornbread Pan...
      <http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?t=yzidt6bab.0.0.6sglptn6.0&p=http%3A%2F%2Fcgi.eba\
      y.com%2Fws%2FeBayISAPI.dll%3FViewItem%26sspagename%3DSTRK%253AMESE%253AI\
      T%26viewitem%3D%26item%3D180111593373%26rd%3D1%26rd%3D1> Letter
      to the Editor Dear Editor,

      I pray you are well. I was wondering if you would be able to help me
      with natural remedies. My son (2 ½ years old) gets sick all the time.
      Even if I take him out on a windy day, he will get a runny nose and
      start to develop a fever. Right now he has a bad cough and a fever. He
      has been put on two inhalers, Abuterol, and something else that I can't
      remember right now (to prevent asthma and bronchitis). Last time, he was
      also given antibiotics.

      What are some natural remedies that I can use to help his situation?
      Also, what else can I do on a daily basis for his normal eating habit
      and intake.

      Thanks,

      BJ
      Dear BJ,

      Some general advice I can give you about the situation:

      1. Try to give him some Elderberry syrup daily. It tastes YUMMY and is
      great for coughs, colds, fevers, breathing issues, etc...if it seems to
      work well for him, continue. If not, then you might need to try
      something else. You can find Elderberry at your local health food store.

      2. As far as daily diet - someone with his conditions should have a
      balanced diet very low in milk & bread products. Also, he should not
      drink boxed juices - only fresh and should not consume a lot of sugar.

      You may want to get him tested for allergies.

      If you would like a complete consultation I do online consultations for
      children as well as adults. You can find all the information at the link
      below.

      It is hard for me to give too much advice without more information. So I
      hope what I could offer was helpful!

      Blessings & Health,
      Kristie Karima Burns, Mh, ND
      Online Herbal & Naturopathic Consulting...
      <http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?t=yzidt6bab.0.0.6sglptn6.0&p=http%3A%2F%2Fherbnit\
      es.tripod.com%2Ftheherbnhomenetwork%2Fid1.html> Herbs in History
      Herbs in History
      Feverfew

      Chrysanthemum Parthenium L.

      Legends, Myths and Stories

      There is a legend about feverfew, that this herb saved the life of a
      person who fell off the famous temple in ancient Greece, the Parthenon.
      Hence, the name parthenium. Letter from the Editor I was in a
      chocolate shop today and I saw a cartoon - the doctor was saying
      "finally I can prescribe you something that is easy to take and good for
      your heart"

      The lady replied "So are we going with red wine or dark chocolate this
      time?"

      It brought to light a good point - as long as we think healing is
      something awful to endure we will remain unhealthy. We need to enjoy our
      healing.

      Blessings & Health,
      Kristie Karima Burns, MH, ND
      Kitchen Pharmacy: MSG The Kitchen Pharmacy
      Often times I am asked what the best foods to eat are or what foods one
      should avoid. However, over time I have come to realize that it is not
      so much the FOODS themselves as what is IN them. MSG is one such
      ingredient that we should avoid, but is found in very surprising places.

      Remember a few years ago when it was found that MSG caused allergies and
      all kinds of bad reactions in people so pressure was put on the Chinese
      community to stop using it in all their food. Now you go to any Chinese
      restaurant and they have a sign on their door that says, "NO MSG".

      Meanwhile, however, did you know that other major restaurants are still
      using MSG? I didn't realize this until a couple months ago when I had a
      really bad reaction to Pizza Hut Pizza. It was a typical MSG reaction
      but I looked over my diet of the day and couldn't find any MSG. On a
      whim I Googled MSG & Pizza Hut and found out that they put it in ALL
      their sauces!!! MSG can cause fatigue, migraines, cardiac problems,
      repiratory problems, visual problems and all sorts of mental issues. For
      more information on bad reactions MSG can cause see the website:

      MSG Information
      <http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?t=yzidt6bab.0.0.6sglptn6.0&p=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mig\
      raineweb.com%2Fpage5.html>

      Here is a small list of what restuarants still use MSG:

      FAZOLI'S: Everything here is safe except the meat sauce and products
      containing sausage. I was told by the Home Office that the lasagna
      contains MSG; however the chicken is safe. The only safe salad dressing
      is Italian Lite. If the manager doesn't know the answers to your
      questions, ask him/her to call the Home Office.

      DENNY'S: Eggs, home fries, pancakes and waffles are OK. However, you
      should bring your own syrup for the pancakes. Their current syrup may
      give you a reaction. Many items on the menu have MSG in one form or
      another.

      CRACKER BARREL: Choose eggs, baked potato, grilled cheese sandwich or
      vegetarian platter. Plain house salad may be OK, but bring your own
      dressing. All meats have been treated with Hydrolyzed Protein, based on
      an inspection of package labels in their kitchen. All gravies and salad
      dressings have chicken or beef base, containing MSG in high percentages.

      BOSTON MARKET: This restaurant used to be OK, but now has Hydrolyzed
      Protein or Autolyzed Yeast in almost everything they serve -- a major
      disappointment to MSG-sensitive people.

      OUTBACK STEAK HOUSE: Everything in this restaurant is supposed to be
      MSG-free. Still, stay away from the soups. Salad dressings are OK.

      RUBY TUESDAY'S: Everything here is said to be MSG- free except soups.
      Verify salad dressings. I stick to the salad bar, where everything is
      homemade on the premises. I bring my own salad dressing (Paul Newman's
      Own Italian).

      CHILI'S: This is said to be an MSG-free establishment. I've had no
      reaction to anything I've eaten there, but still use my own salad
      dressing and avoid soups.

      PIZZA HUT: I wrote the Home Office and was sent a list of ingredients.
      It indicated that the only thing I could safely eat was the pizza crust!
      MSG was contained in the sauces, the meat products and the cheese.

      PAPA JOHN'S PIZZA: Here you can safely eat pizza without worrying about
      MSG. I would, however, avoid adding meat products as an extra. Stick to
      the veggies such as mushrooms, peppers, olives, anchovies, etc.

      OLIVE GARDEN: Most all food here is OK, except the soups which have MSG
      in the soup bases. Salad dressings are OK. The Complete Kitchen Pharmacy
      E-book...
      <http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?t=yzidt6bab.0.0.6sglptn6.0&p=http%3A%2F%2Fstore.p\
      ayloadz.com%2Fgo%3Fid%3D36427> Herbs in the NEWS Ginkgo
      compounds and the war on cellulite...

      Cellulitis is a condition associated with chronic venous insufficiency
      and venous stasis. Symptomatic relief can be achieved by topically
      applying substances that promote skin microcirculation and lipolysis.
      Since lipolysis is a process regulated by cAMP levels, the use of
      compounds that stimulate adenylate cyclase or that inhibit cAMP
      phosphodiesterase is one potential method of increasing lipolytic
      activity. A Ginkgo biloba fraction rich in dimeric flavonoids appears to
      exert anti- inflammatory and vasokinetic properties. Identified as GBDF,
      the fraction contains amentoflavone and biflavonoids including
      bilobetin, sequoiaflavone, ginkgetin, isoginkgetin and sciadopitysin,
      all of which differ in the position and number of methylated hydroxyl
      groups. In laboratory assays, GBDF inhibited cAMP phosphodiesterase
      (PDE) in a concentration dependent fashion. Degree of inhibition by
      individual biflavone compounds was inversely proportional to the number
      of methoxy groups on the compound, with sciadopitysin showing almost no
      anti-PDE activity and amentoflavone and bilobetin showing the most
      activity. Further studies are being undertaken to investigate the effect
      of these compounds on the biochemistry of intact fat cells.

      Taken from: Bosisio S. Biflavones of Ginkgo biloba in cosmetics.
      Fitoterapia Kid's Corner: Robin Meditation This is a wonderful
      nature activity to do with children - nature meditation! This is how you
      do it:

      1. Take your child outside. It does not have to be at a park or nature
      preserve or any special place. We did this in our backyard.

      2. Sit somewhere - on the ground, a chair, anywhere that you will be
      very comfortable without moving for about 15 minutes.

      3. Pick a bird to watch for that 15 minutes. If your bird flies too far
      pick another one. As you are watching the bird, imagine you ARE the
      bird. You are flying to the ground. You need material for a nest...oh,
      you are bringing it to the nest...it is a bit heavy...let's rest for a
      bit. Look around...is there any danger? Does anyone see me slip into
      this roof gap...? etc....you must ONLY think like the bird for 15
      minutes.

      You will be amazed at how relaxing and meditative this activity is -
      even for adults. Try it while you are waiting in traffic someday or in a
      line or somewhere you are feeling stressed or bored. It works miracles!
      For more ideas register for a free trial at:
      <http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?t=yzidt6bab.0.0.6sglptn6.0&p=http%3A%2F%2Fherbnit\
      es.tripod.com%2Finternationalwaldorf%2F> Book of the Month
      Everyone always writes about new books that have come out - you can find
      that information in any health magazine or online e-zine. However, as
      each new book arrives the old classics get shoved farther and farther
      off the shelves until they are forgotten. I find this sad because many
      of the best books (meaning they have the most complete information,
      ideas and/or organization) are older books you can only find in
      re-print, at the library or the used book store. If you have any
      suggestions of your own please e-mail me! And if you can't find the book
      I have mentioned this month (online or in your library or an old
      book-shop) please e-mail me. Perhaps I can help!
      The Book of Virtues: A Treasury of Great Moral Stories
      by William Bennet

      I have had this book on my shelf for years and it seems I am always
      reaching for it - to share a story with someone that illustrates a
      point. Sometimes instead of giving lectures to your friends, spouse,
      roomate, friend or child the best way to share wisdom is through a
      story.

      This book contains hundreds of classic very short stories FILLED with
      wisdom and organized by virtue. These are not sappy "and this is what we
      learned today dear" stories. These are classic, very well known and
      well- written stories. Some have been handed down for generations and
      some are from classic literature. No home should be without this book!
      Global Sister Goods (Note: I do not sell advertising. The opinions
      in this column are entirely my own)

      Note: Last month I mentioned a wonderful tea press that I found at
      Starbucks - for those of you who are boycotting Starbucks (I got a few
      notes from you) I found the wonderful tea press at another website:
      Bodum Tea Press
      <http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?t=yzidt6bab.0.0.6sglptn6.0&p=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bod\
      umusa.com%2Fshop%2Fline.asp%3FMD%3D1%26GID%3D6%26LID%3D9%26HID%3D1205%25\
      2D01B%26CHK%3D%26SLT%3D%26mscssid%3DHS1TS2S2FXNC9NRNCTKW925D8DUJ9DC7>

      And now for something new...
      As I was out surfing for great treasures last week I ran across this
      wonderful website that supports women's work by encouraging them to make
      and sell things on the site. This is a wonderful way to celebrate
      Mother's Day - buy something for your mother from this site - that way
      you are making your mother happy and someone else's mother too :) Global
      Sister Goods
      <http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?t=yzidt6bab.0.0.6sglptn6.0&p=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.glo\
      balsistergoods.com%2F%3Fgclid%3DCJ6XmaKp3osCFSAMIgodr3d9Wg>
      Website of the Month Website of the Month
      More frequently we are searching out herbal and natural remedies but
      sometimes we forget our pets would enjoy those same remedies. I found a
      wonderful website that lists some of the uses of Bach Remedies for your
      pet. I have used natural healing on all of our pets - even the hamsters!
      Bach Remedies for Pets
      <http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?t=yzidt6bab.0.0.6sglptn6.0&p=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pet\
      synergy.com%2Fflower.html%23C2> Artist of the Month A friend
      of mine sent me such a beautiful e-card last month I could not believe
      it was "just an e-mail card". The art in it was so gorgeous and the
      animation was not "silly" or "clever" - it was MAGICAL! If you want to
      send someone a unique e-card visit this artist's website. I did, after I
      received my card, and was surprised at what I found! Artist's E-card
      Site - Nature Themes
      <http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?t=yzidt6bab.0.0.6sglptn6.0&p=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.jac\
      quielawson.com> Healing Power of PEWTER DID YOU KNOW....That
      Pewter has Healing Power?

      I've always liked the look and feel of pewter. One of my favorite items
      to touch on my grandmother's shelf when I was a child was made of pewter
      - a small figurine. It turns out that carrying that figurine around as a
      talisman may have been a good idea...
      Tin, the main component of pewter, is extracted from a mineral called
      "cassiterite" or tinstone and is found, in nature, mixed with other
      undergroung mineral deposits. The procedures needed to separate the
      tinstone from the other minerals are demanding. Cassiterite is also used
      as a gemstone and collector specimens when quality crystals can be
      found.

      CASSITERITE
      Cassiterite is a metallic gray to black mineral/crystal & a 1st charka
      gem. Cassiterite is a stone for personal protection. Being metallic,
      Cassiterite acts somewhat like Hematite, shielding and protecting one
      from negative energy. It basically reflects back negativity to the
      sender. Being Cassiterite is dark, shiny and black, it is used as a
      grounding stone when one feels flighty or out of sink with the energy of
      the Earth. Use this stone to get your energy back into balance, a good
      idea is to take your Cassiterite out into nature with you and allow it
      to bond with the gentleness of the Earth and to you.

      Cassiterite is also used to dispel energy relating to disapproval, it
      encourages optimism.

      If you already have some nice pewter items - get them out and enjoy
      them!

      If not... have provided a link below where you can buy some very nice
      discounted pewter items. I linked you to one item, but you can link from
      there to candle holders, fairy goblets and more. . Buy Discount Pewter
      Figurines, Candle Holders & Talismans
      <http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?t=yzidt6bab.0.0.6sglptn6.0&p=http%3A%2F%2Fcgi.eba\
      y.com%2Fws%2FeBayISAPI.dll%3FViewItem%26sspagename%3DSTRK%253AMESE%253AI\
      T%26viewitem%3D%26item%3D180110919718%26rd%3D1%26rd%3D1>
      This newsletter is sent out free every month. However, it survives only
      because of your donations! If you enjoy this newsletter and have not yet
      made a donation please visit the donation page. You can donate any
      amount from $2.00 - $20.00 for the year.

      Donation Page
      <http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?t=yzidt6bab.0.0.6sglptn6.0&p=http%3A%2F%2Fs1.amaz\
      on.com%2Fexec%2Fvarzea%2Fts%2Fmy-pay-page%2FP2YW6I23ZJ1KS1>

      Blessings & Health, Kristie Karima Burns, Mh, ND
      Kristie Karima Burns, MH, ND Indigo Child
      email: herbnhome@...
      <http://us.f569.mail.yahoo.com/ym/Compose?To=herbnhome@...> web:
      http://www.herbnhome.com
      <http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?t=yzidt6bab.0.0.6sglptn6.0&p=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.her\