Re: [The Indigo Network] improving schools

  • Lily
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 7, 2006
      I'm with you Ty, and so are many others. Alternative schools like Waldorf,
      Montessori, Sudsbury are gaining in popularity and availability. Even some few
      public schools are taking on these inovative approaches to education. And many
      people are home schooling with great success using many methods and
      curriculea.

      You just have to dig to find them, I was lucky - my daughter will graduate from
      a Waldorf School this coming June with 22 others. There are about 15 Waldorf
      High Schools in the country and more around the world. Every year new Waldorf
      K-8 schools are going up and the public Waldorf schools have long waiting
      lists. I gave up a lot of things to get this education for my daughter who
      started in Kindergarten - but it has been worth every penny. I dream of the
      day all children can have this kind of education.

      It gives me so much hope knowing that, around the world, Waldorf schools are
      educating thousands of children and have been for 75 years. And these numbers
      are growing and they are fine people, doing good work.

      Namaste,

      Lily

      Quoting tylermazzeo <tylermazzeo@...>:

      > I have been a public school teacher for 16 years. Modern public
      > education in the United States is completely lost in Minos' Maze.
      > We have also lost Ariadne's golden cord. Through endless testing,
      > labels, misguided research and less than dismal leadership, we are
      > blindly and foolishly rushing further and further into the maze
      > towards our inevitable demise at the horns of the minotaur.
      > There is an undeniable crisis in public education today. The ever
      > increasing chasm between societal changes, largly due to
      > technological advances, and our schools is unbridgeable with our
      > present methods.
    • tyler Mazzeo
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 7, 2006
        Lily, thank you for your very encouraging email. I am intensly interested to know more about the waldorf schools. If it is not too much trouble for you, would you mind telling me a little bit about the kinds of things your daughter has learned at the Waldorf school? How much is tuition a year at the Waldorf schools? I have no doubt that they produce fine individuals, but are there statistics about success rates or what Waldorf graduates do?
        I word in an impoverished community, 100% free lunch, 98% hispanic, many many immigrants. However, my 11 year old students have developed curriculum ideas, vocabulary models, learning heirarchies and charts that express more intelligence than anything I have yet seen produced by educators. The human potential is untapped where I work and the violence and subjegation is criminal, but becuase it is the status quo, nobody can see the naked empress.
        By the way, my personal classroom homepage has as its username, Artemis.
        THanks again for the uplifting note, I really feel alone in my opinions and endeavors, maybe I am not as alone as I think, Sincerly ty

      • lbb116
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 31, 2006
          Tyler.....

          I saw this post asking about information on Waldorf. My daughter has
          just spent a year and a half at a Waldorf school. We left public
          school after 1st grade because she was miserable. The school system
          was very over crowded and she, being an indigo, had very strong
          opinions about how she should be taught. It didn't go over too well
          with her 1st grade teacher. The principal got to know my daughter
          really well.

          After visiting the indigochild.com site and saw that waldorf and
          montessori schools might be a good alternative, we applied to
          Montessori, but there weren't any openings. After visiting Waldorf,
          it seemed it might be a good fit. We knew up front that they delayed
          teaching reading unitl 2nd grade. This didn't concern us since, she
          was a strong reader -- already tested to be reading at the 3rd grade
          level.
          We liked that they had a morning recess after snack and an afternoon
          recess after lunch every day. At her old school lunch was at 10:30!!!
          They very often didn't get recess. She would have handwork class where
          she learned to knit. So far, she's knitted a cat, a horse and a flute
          case. She would have russian and german classes. PE seemed to be in
          the form of a movement class called eurythmy. Language arts, writing,
          history, and math seemed to be rolled up into one block called "main
          lesson". Math was on the schedule only once a week. When I
          questioned this, I was told that they had a "holistic" approach to
          math and it was "folded" into the whole curriculum. Even so, after
          the rushed, over-the-top, pushed down curriculum of public school,
          this seemed to be a kinder, gentler approach to education. Like we
          remembered when we were in grade school. It felt like we were giving
          her childhood back to her.

          The first several months was a big adjustment for her. They have a
          policy about keeping the outside out of school. No character based
          clothing, lunch boxes and no black clothing. They even encourage
          parents to get rid of the TV. That meant she couldn't wear her beloved
          light-up sneakers or bring her Barbie lunchbox to school. She also
          endured quite a bit of teasing and friction from the other kids
          (mostly from a few boys). They delighted in pointing out everytime
          she did something wrong. Slowly she adapted, let go of all the pent
          up anger from 1st grade and began making friends and fitting in. It
          is to the credit of the school and the parents that everyone stood by
          her and refused to let the teasing go unnoticed or uncorrected. She
          loved the school, however we became very concerned that her teacher
          was unqualified (she had absolutely no teaching credentials or
          experience), and the curriculum was a little too lax. There are no
          text books, the children copy off the blackboard into their "main
          lesson" books, using crayons at first and then moving to pencils. At
          the end of the chaotic year, many parents were on the fence about
          returning, as were we. Two actually did not. We did reluctantly, we
          felt we had no other alternative, Montessori would not have any
          openings until the 4th grade. We did not want to put her back in
          public schools. So we returned this school year with much misgivings
          and apprehension. The teacher still did not have control of the
          class, several boys were ADD and she could not handle them.

          In October, we visited the local Montessori. My daughter met with the
          4th grade teacher, at my request, to determine where she was
          academically and how much catch-up we'd have to do to get her ready
          for the 4th grade. We were told she "would not be a good fit". We
          then had her tested at Huntington Learning Center. She was 1 1/2
          years behind academically. She was behind in reading comprehension
          and mathematics. She was struggling with not only multiplication but
          subtraction (multi-digit with borrowing).

          After getting that grim news, we made the decision to contract with
          Huntington to tutor her in reading and math. According to their
          evaluation it will take approx. 153 hours to bring her up to speed.
          So We've withdrawn her from Waldorf. She'll go to Huntington in the
          mornings for 2 hours every day Mon-Fri and I'll homeschool her in the
          rest of the 3rd grade curriculum ... spelling, cursive, science,
          social studies.

          We are not the only parents who pulled their kids out of Waldorf
          because of lack of academics. The parents that pulled their kids out
          of her class last year did it because of academics or lack of.
          Waldorf sounds good on paper and at visitation. But the fact is the
          kids simply aren't getting the basics when they need them. I talked
          to the all-girls middle school where Waldorf girls are supposed to
          matriculate in 5th grade and I was told that they have to be "caught
          up in math." The Admissions director told me this.

          This is something to be aware of and consider if you are looking at
          Waldorf.

          Lorie

          BTW, it will cost us as much as a full years tuition at Waldorf to
          have Huntington tutor her. We chose to do this because all their
          teachers are certified and accredited. And, they are experienced in
          bringing kids up to speed. Waldorf has been a very expensive lesson
          for all of us.

          --- In indigo-schools@yahoogroups.com, tyler Mazzeo <tylermazzeo@...>
          wrote:

          > Lily, thank you for your very encouraging email. I am intensly
          interested to know more about the waldorf schools. If it is not too
          much trouble for you, would you mind telling me a little bit about the
          kinds of things your daughter has learned at the Waldorf school? How
          much is tuition a year at the Waldorf schools? I have no doubt that
          they produce fine individuals, but are there statistics about success
          rates or what Waldorf graduates do?
          > I word in an impoverished community, 100% free lunch, 98%
          hispanic, many many immigrants. However, my 11 year old students have
          developed curriculum ideas, vocabulary models, learning heirarchies
          and charts that express more intelligence than anything I have yet
          seen produced by educators. The human potential is untapped where I
          work and the violence and subjegation is criminal, but becuase it is
          the status quo, nobody can see the naked empress.
          > By the way, my personal classroom homepage has as its username,
          Artemis.
          > THanks again for the uplifting note, I really feel alone in my
          opinions and endeavors, maybe I am not as alone as I think, Sincerly ty

        • lbb116
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 31, 2006

            wrote:

            > Lily, thank you for your very encouraging email. I am intensly
            interested to know more about the waldorf schools. If it is not too
            much trouble for you, would you mind telling me a little bit about the
            kinds of things your daughter has learned at the Waldorf school? How
            much is tuition a year at the Waldorf schools? I have no doubt that
            they produce fine individuals, but are there statistics about success
            rates or what Waldorf graduates do?
            > I word in an impoverished community, 100% free lunch, 98%
            hispanic, many many immigrants. However, my 11 year old students have
            developed curriculum ideas, vocabulary models, learning heirarchies
            and charts that express more intelligence than anything I have yet
            seen produced by educators. The human potential is untapped where I
            work and the violence and subjegation is criminal, but becuase it is
            the status quo, nobody can see the naked empress.
            > By the way, my personal classroom homepage has as its username,
            Artemis.
            > THanks again for the uplifting note, I really feel alone in my
            opinions and endeavors, maybe I am not as alone as I think, Sincerly ty

          • Lily
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 1, 2007
              Greetings,

              As the parent of a 14 year Waldorf Student I feel the need to reply to this
              letter about the lack of academics in Waldorf education. It simply isn't true.
              It is just that the academics are hidden (so to speak) in the lower grades.
              Reading isn't stressed in the lower grades either and it is because different
              students "get" reading at widely different ages. For example, my daughter
              didn't really read, couldn't, until seventh grade, 13 years-old. Today she is
              a senior with a B+ average in a Waldorf high school that is considered to be an
              "honors" program (whatever that means) and colleges are dying to get her.

              The waldorf program is designed around developmental needs, not societal or
              parental needs. Albert Einstein is quoted as saying that "imagination stops
              once a child starts to read" and I believe it is because they are getting
              someone else's ideas and pictures of reality instead of making up their own.

              My daughters friends, some who have been in the same class with her for 14
              years, are some of the finest, brightest, kindist, self-motivated and
              intelligent people I've ever met and they will save the world.

              A parents (or teacher's) job is not to impart information to their child, their
              job is to clear away distractions (TV, bad food, pressure, worry,etc.) so that
              they can discover what they already know. And each child is different and
              Waldorf respects, honors and loves that individuality in all it's wonderous
              forms.

              A good book is "You are your child's first teacher" by Rahima Baldwin.

              Don't compare Waldorf/Steiner schools to other school systems, there is no
              comparison.

              As a parent, past teacher & staff member of a Waldorf school I have learned as
              much from the experience as has my beautiful daughter and her outstanding class
              and schoolmates.

              Namaste,

              Lily

              Namaste,

              Lily
            • Lily
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 1, 2007
                Tyler,

                Waldorf schools in the U.S. are very expensive but most do offer some form of
                tuition assistance. I never knew from year to year how we were going to pay
                for it, but blieveing it to be the best school for all of us, we have managed
                it and my daughter graduates this spring (and is paying for her own college,
                thank you very much). We felt that with a quality primary and secondary
                education under her belt she would be prepared for whatever the world threw at
                her.

                There are Waldorf-type charter and public schools about and more staring every
                day so look for those.

                AWSNA (Association of Waldorf Schools of North America) has a website that will
                lead to lots of Waldorf info. They do not however list public waldorf
                schools.

                Start your own.... Homeschool - there are Waldorf circulum out there. Get a
                few families together and run your own class (homeschooling together) and hire
                a qualified Waldorf teacher to teach. That worked very well for a friend.

                It's all about priorities - if your child's education is a priority, you will
                find a way.

                Namaste,

                Lily

                Namaste,

                Lily
              • Peter Marko

                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 2, 2007
                    Lorie, thankyou for sharing your story with me, I really appreciate it. I think you sent it to me a few weeks ago and when I replied to thank you, it was returned. I hope you get this note. You sound like very caring parents, i feel lucky for your daughter however you choose to educate here. Thanks again, ty.

                    lbb116 <lorie_b@...> wrote: Tyler.....

                    wrote:

                    > Lily, thank you for your very encouraging email. I am intensly
                    interested to know more about the waldorf schools. If it is not too
                    much trouble for you, would you mind telling me a little bit about the
                    kinds of things your daughter has learned at the Waldorf school? How
                    much is tuition a year at the Waldorf schools? I have no doubt that
                    they produce fine individuals, but are there statistics about success
                    rates or what Waldorf graduates do?
                    > I word in an impoverished community, 100% free lunch, 98%
                    hispanic, many many immigrants. However, my 11 year old students have
                    developed curriculum ideas, vocabulary models, learning heirarchies
                    and charts that express more intelligence than anything I have yet
                    seen produced by educators. The human potential is untapped where I
                    work and the violence and subjegation is criminal, but becuase it is
                    the status quo, nobody can see the naked empress.
                    > By the way, my personal classroom homepage has as its username,
                    Artemis.
                    > THanks again for the uplifting note, I really feel alone in my
                    opinions and endeavors, maybe I am not as alone as I think, Sincerly ty

                  • lbb116
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jan 4, 2007
                      Yeah, that's what I was told too. My daughter is very, very bright.
                      On paper, the curriculum, her 3rd grade was teaching appropriate math
                      (advanced addition, subtraction and beginning multiplication and
                      division). However, she struggled because she wasn't getting enough
                      of the subject on a weekly basis or the teacher simply wasn't able to
                      teach. Her teacher is not certified, she doesn't even have a degree
                      in early education. My concern, as are many who left Waldorf, is that
                      when my daughter was ready to leave Waldorf, for high school, she
                      would be so far behind that she would be set up for failure from the
                      first day. College was a concern too. There are many who have left
                      waldorf emotionally scarred due to the teachers anthroposophic
                      beliefs, rightly or wrongly interpreted or inability to fit into
                      mainstream society or schools.

                      All I am saying, go with eyes open. It is an alternative school. If
                      your child is special needs, ie ADD or ADHD or very sensitive or
                      emotionally fragile, then this nurturing environment is probably the
                      right one. However, if your child is indigo, bright and gifted and is
                      miserable in public schools because of personality conflicts, and you
                      are not willing to do the extra required to keep his/her academics up
                      to speed so when (s)he matriculates to another school, be aware, they
                      will most probably be behind in more than the Waldorf school will
                      admit. This information comes from Waldorf alumns and their parents,
                      not just my personal experience. Also, those famous people who've
                      been at Waldorf, not all had a happy experience. David Gilmour, of
                      Pink Floyd, put his kids in Waldorf, partly to his memory of his
                      education in public schools. He pulled them out because he too was
                      concerned. His 14 year old daughter struggled in a conventional
                      school and had to be put back a grade and still struggled.

                      Waldorf doesn't require its teachers to be certified or to even have a
                      teaching background or degree. Waldorf is not accredited by any other
                      body than itself. They do not grade or test, so there is no way to
                      determine if their graduates will be able to go on to another high
                      school or to college, as they insist. Each Waldorf is different in
                      their competency and success, since some have actual certified trained
                      teachers. My daughter did not and that teacher would follow her all
                      the way up through 7th grade or beyond. They plan to add 7th grade
                      next year and continue to add grades as long as there is interest. I
                      doubt my daughter would be in an "honors" program when she got to high
                      school with her current teacher. Also, most Waldorf schools struggle
                      financially, the one we left certainly does. So it makes me wonder,
                      where they would get the capital needed to fund an acceptable high
                      school science lab?

                      All I am saying is, please ask a lot of questions. Does the teacher
                      have a degree in education? Is (s)he certified, and not just in
                      Waldorf? Google Waldorf critics. A waldorf education is not cheap.
                      As it stands, I paid $14,000 for my daughter to learn how to knit,
                      play with bees wax and paint with real watercolors. I consider the
                      rest of her education a total waste, She already knew how to read and
                      write. She did learn about some saints and legends -- their version
                      of history. I may not even get a refund of the remainder of this
                      year's tuition. That battle has yet to be fought.

                      --- In indigo-schools@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Marko"
                      <peter.j.marko@...> wrote:

                      > Well said, Lily - thank you!
                      > Peter
                      >
                      > Lili wrote"
                      > Greetings,
                      >
                      > As the parent of a 14 year Waldorf Student I feel the need to reply
                      to this
                      > letter about the lack of academics in Waldorf education. It simply isn't
                      > true.
                      > It is just that the academics are hidden (so to speak) in the lower
                      grades.
                      > Reading isn't stressed in the lower grades either and it is because
                      > different
                      > students "get" reading at widely different ages. For example, my
                      daughter
                      > didn't really read, couldn't, until seventh grade, 13 years-old.
                      Today she
                      > is
                      > a senior with a B+ average in a Waldorf high school that is
                      considered to be
                      > an
                      > "honors" program (whatever that means) and colleges are dying to get
                      her.

                      > The waldorf program is designed around developmental needs, not
                      societal or
                      > parental needs. Albert Einstein is quoted as saying that
                      "imagination stops
                      > once a child starts to read" and I believe it is because they are
                      getting
                      > someone else's ideas and pictures of reality instead of making up
                      their own.

                      > My daughters friends, some who have been in the same class with her
                      for 14
                      > years, are some of the finest, brightest, kindist, self-motivated and
                      > intelligent people I've ever met and they will save the world.
                      >
                      > A parents (or teacher's) job is not to impart information to their
                      child,
                      > their
                      > job is to clear away distractions (TV, bad food, pressure,
                      worry,etc.) so
                      > that
                      > they can discover what they already know. And each child is
                      different and
                      > Waldorf respects, honors and loves that individuality in all it's
                      wonderous
                      > forms.
                      >
                      > A good book is "You are your child's first teacher" by Rahima Baldwin.
                      >
                      > Don't compare Waldorf/Steiner schools to other school systems, there
                      is no
                      > comparison.
                      >
                      > As a parent, past teacher & staff member of a Waldorf school I have
                      learned
                      > as
                      > much from the experience as has my beautiful daughter and her
                      outstanding
                      > class
                      > and schoolmates.
                      >
                      > Namaste,
                      >
                      > Lily

                    • Lily
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jan 5, 2007
                        Lorie,

                        I'd like to respond to your e-mail point-by-point as you bring up some valid
                        concerns.

                        Quoting lbb116 <lorie_b@...>:

                        > Yeah, that's what I was told too. My daughter is very, very bright.
                        > On paper, the curriculum, her 3rd grade was teaching appropriate math
                        > (advanced addition, subtraction and beginning multiplication and
                        > division).

                        Being a Waldorf Class teacher is a very difficult job. It sounds like your
                        daughter's teacher was inexperienced. The Waldorf curriculum calls for
                        teaching the four major operationg (addition, subtraction, multiplication,
                        division) from the beinging. In first grade the children use counting stones
                        (or something similar) and concretely follow along stories that have them
                        adding, subtracting, multipling and dividing with the help of gnomes or
                        somewhat. Each year the exercises become more and more complex as well as more
                        abstract. In year three the children are still very concrete in their thinking
                        and need physical aides to assist. Not all children but most, all are
                        different. They learn math first as a language. In year three the "math"
                        senstences can be of many steps.

                        However, she struggled because she wasn't getting enough
                        > of the subject on a weekly basis or the teacher simply wasn't able to
                        > teach. Her teacher is not certified, she doesn't even have a degree
                        > in early education.

                        It is true that Waldorf schools don't require any specific credential. However,
                        most schools in the US do want to see a BA and Waldorf Training or equaliante
                        experience. The fact is experienced Waldorf teachers are in short supply.
                        School's are openning all over and there are only so many teachers to go
                        around. And there are poor ones as well. Not all teacher's can do the job.

                        I'd also like to note that 3rd grade is a very common time for parents to freak
                        out about - reading, homework, etc.

                        My concern, as are many who left Waldorf, is that
                        > when my daughter was ready to leave Waldorf, for high school, she
                        > would be so far behind that she would be set up for failure from the
                        > first day.

                        The general rule of thumb seems to be that yes they are behind (what does that
                        mean anyway) until 3rd grade and then transfer find into public or main-stream
                        schooling. Now this is very individual. My daughter, for instance, could not
                        have managed in a public school until 9th grade as she didn't read until 7th.
                        Now she is applying to UC Berekley and other top colleges and will get in to
                        one of them even with her disablility. You see my daughter has severe dyslexia
                        but with the support of her teachers and classmates has learned to function in
                        the 2D realm while not loosing touch with her remarkable 3D vision and thought.
                        Writing is still hard for her, but she works at it really hard and keeps
                        getting better. Charlotte (my little one) did very poorly on the SAT and SAT
                        II because she doesn't test well. It doesn't reflect on her intelligence and
                        ability and a lot of colleges are beginning to see that standardized tests
                        don't tell them much about a student.

                        College was a concern too. There are many who have left
                        > waldorf emotionally scarred due to the teachers anthroposophic
                        > beliefs, rightly or wrongly interpreted or inability to fit into
                        > mainstream society or schools.

                        As for fitting into society or "the real world", waldorf students do better than
                        most young people. The do it with confidence, caring and grace. If you have a
                        Waldorf High School nearby, talk to some of the students - they will engage you
                        like few people can.

                        In years that I struggled to make school payments, I'd talk to the high
                        schoolers. They weren't afraid of adults or distainful. They were poised and
                        self-possesed. I envy them their secure sense of self.

                        > All I am saying, go with eyes open. It is an alternative school. If
                        > your child is special needs, ie ADD or ADHD or very sensitive or
                        > emotionally fragile, then this nurturing environment is probably the
                        > right one.

                        However, if your child is indigo, bright and gifted and is
                        > miserable in public schools because of personality conflicts,

                        Personality conflicts are part of life and children need to learn to deal with
                        them not run from them. Children in a Waldorf class learn to appreciate and
                        work with people they like and dislike. They can't hide from "difficult"
                        people . The teachers model and subtlely work with the children on social
                        skills. What they don't do is demand.

                        and you
                        > are not willing to do the extra required to keep his/her academics up
                        > to speed so when (s)he matriculates to another school, be aware, they
                        > will most probably be behind in more than the Waldorf school will
                        > admit. This information comes from Waldorf alumns and their parents,
                        > not just my personal experience.

                        Also, those famous people who've
                        > been at Waldorf, not all had a happy experience. David Gilmour, of
                        > Pink Floyd, put his kids in Waldorf, partly to his memory of his
                        > education in public schools. He pulled them out because he too was
                        > concerned. His 14 year old daughter struggled in a conventional
                        > school and had to be put back a grade and still struggled.

                        Many people leave Waldorf for many different reasons and I can't comment on
                        David Gilmour's experience. My experience seems to be that it is often because
                        of parent's problems with the school/teacher/children and not the child's.

                        I was told by two specialists when my daughter was diagnosed that she shouldn't
                        been in a Waldorf shcool. One therapist had her own children in the same
                        school. But we (my husband, daughter and I) decided it was more important that
                        she was happy and enjoyed learning then if she ever learned to read so she
                        stayed in Waldorf and slowly, very slowly, it came - when her brain was ready.

                        > Waldorf doesn't require its teachers to be certified or to even have a
                        > teaching background or degree. Waldorf is not accredited by any other
                        > body than itself.

                        Some Waldorf schools are accredited and some not. I think only private high
                        schools are accredited. My daughter's school regularly gets the best and
                        longest accreditation from the Western Schools something or other.

                        They do not grade or test, so there is no way to
                        > determine if their graduates will be able to go on to another high
                        > school or to college, as they insist.

                        This is true for the most part in the lower 8 grades. Instead of grades parents
                        get detailed narrative reports from all their child's teacher. Not only the
                        class teacher, but the speciality teachers. The children are taught by a team
                        of several teachers. In the middle grades some teachers have qiuzes and tests
                        for practice at taking tests and TO MAKE PARENTS HAPPY.

                        Each Waldorf is different in
                        > their competency and success, since some have actual certified trained
                        > teachers. My daughter did not and that teacher would follow her all
                        > the way up through 7th grade or beyond. They plan to add 7th grade
                        > next year and continue to add grades as long as there is interest. I
                        > doubt my daughter would be in an "honors" program when she got to high
                        > school with her current teacher. Also, most Waldorf schools struggle
                        > financially, the one we left certainly does. So it makes me wonder,
                        > where they would get the capital needed to fund an acceptable high
                        > school science lab?

                        The Waldorf schools do struggle financially, especially young schools. It is a
                        problem that is being addressed at many levels in the community.

                        > All I am saying is, please ask a lot of questions. Does the teacher
                        > have a degree in education? Is (s)he certified, and not just in
                        > Waldorf? Google Waldorf critics. A waldorf education is not cheap.
                        > As it stands, I paid $14,000 for my daughter to learn how to knit,
                        > play with bees wax and paint with real watercolors.

                        Yes Waldorf is expensive, very for a middle class family. It's worth every
                        penny.

                        I consider the
                        > rest of her education a total waste, She already knew how to read and
                        > write. She did learn about some saints and legends -- their version
                        > of history. I may not even get a refund of the remainder of this
                        > year's tuition. That battle has yet to be fought.

                        Handwork is taught because it engages the senses and is a will activity. The
                        child learns they can think something and then make it real!!!!!!!!! Very
                        important. Children 7-14 still require a lot of physical motion to learn. In
                        Knitting teaches shape, number and coorination. It refines the sense of touch
                        and sight. Painting teachs color, shade and tone as well as fluid dynamics.
                        Singing trains the ear. Oh there is so much more to learn the the 3Rs. Waldorf
                        students recite times-tables while they jump rope. Reaserch shows that learning
                        is quicker and easeier if it includes a motion component.

                        I'm sorry you had a bad experience at a Waldorf school. I would check my
                        assumptions about education and do some research about child development and
                        education.

                        Namaste,

                        Lily
                      • Lily
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jan 5, 2007
                          Hi Lorie,

                          I forgot the "emotionally scared" from Waldorf education. The kids I know, have
                          known, etc. love the school. Some don't like classmates or teachers. I've
                          never heard of a child being "emotionally scared" by a waldorf class. Though I
                          have heard of some individual teachers that were abusive to the children in some
                          manner. It is taken care of quickly by the community - believe me.

                          I would love to hear your story.

                          Lily
                        • lbb116
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jan 7, 2007
                            Unfortunately, Waldorf was not the best fit for my child. She is
                            quite creative and artistic and needs that outlet. She takes ballet
                            (since the age of 3), has started with a local theater group and takes
                            art lessons from a local artist. She is thriving at Huntington and
                            catching up in both reading comprehension and in math. Home
                            schooling seems to be going well too, although we've only finished her
                            first week. We're tackling spelling and cursive, science and social
                            studies. We've started with ancient Greece and began with mythology.
                            Monday we'll take a trip to the science museum and study simple machines.

                            It broke my heart to learn that she was struggling in math at Waldorf.
                            She loved the school and enjoyed handwork and eurythemy. However,
                            she's a visual learner and that's not how they teach at Waldorf, at
                            least math anyway. She was totally lost during "mental math"
                            exercises. She needs to see the numbers or at least have "counters".
                            When she was pulled out of Waldorf, she totally hated math. Now,
                            she's becoming excited about it again.

                            It was disturbing and gut-wrenching to see my bright, intelligent and
                            gifted child backslide. Either the program was not challenging enough
                            or the teacher was simply not doing her job. The frustrating part of
                            it all was whenever the parents made suggestions on improving the
                            classroom, we were told it's not according to steiner. The parents
                            just don't seem to have any clout or say unless they're on the board.

                            Public schools are pushing too much too soon and it seems that Waldorf
                            schools are at the opposite end of the spectrum. It was not a good
                            fit for us, my child needed more structure and challenging curriculum.

                            We were desperate last year to find a school for my daughter to help
                            her recover and learn to enjoy school again. We took a leap of faith
                            that Waldorf was the right school. Our choices were limited to
                            Waldorf, public or religious-based. It was a very rough year. She
                            healed emotionally, but she lost what she'd learned in 1st grade. I
                            really don't know if it would have been different if the teacher
                            actually had a teaching background. I've talked to other former
                            waldorf parents (from other schools) and my feeling is it probably
                            wouldn't be much different.

                            My daughter pretty much learned to count to 20 before preschool, knew
                            her alphabet and was learning to recognize words. She learned to read
                            in kindergarten. She has an insatiable thirst for knowledge. When
                            she takes a particular interest in a subject, she soaks it up like a
                            sponge. When she was four, she took an interest in butterflies. She
                            can now identify all the local butterflies by sight. She can also
                            talk about probably 10 or 15 more. It's the same with rocks. She
                            can identify all the variety of quartz as well as several other minerals.

                            > I would check my assumptions about education and do some research
                            > about child development and education.

                            My point exactly... Waldorf is touted to being the perfect alternative
                            for the indigo child. What I have learned is that may not be the case
                            for all indigos. One size doesn't fit all and neither does Waldorf.
                            It is troubling that a school can open its doors with untrained
                            teachers. It is troubling that a school doesn't have to answer to
                            basic standards. I realize it is a private school, but it should at
                            least have to fulfill some basic state licensing requirements and
                            certifications. How many parents are savvy enough to ask all the
                            right questions and do a complete assessment of a non-accredited
                            alternative school?

                            I am not totally bashing Waldorf. I'm simply trying to bring to light
                            some things about the schools -- hiring untrained, non-credentialed
                            teachers.

                            Lorie