Re: [The Indigo Network] Child hates school

  • Lily
    Message 1 of 4 , May 24, 2006
      This is a serious and difficult problem. I think you instinct to homeschool
      your daughter was the correct one and I'm saddened you did not receive the
      support you needed to continue. The psychologist was a good idea, but you have
      to find one that respects your values and has knowledge about child development.
      Most therapists have no understanding of child development let alone experience
      with modern children and their challanges.

      Educate yourself and work on bringing your daughter's father around. This is a
      tough time in any girls life and that could be what is happening with your
      daughter. A trully excellent book is "Ophelia Speaks" (or the title is close
      to it) that talks about the pre-adolescent girl and how society lets her down.

      You can look into private schools that have a liberal take on education such as
      the Waldorf Schools but they can be quite expensive though most offer financial
      assistance.

      School, as practised generally, is detrimental to most childrens gowth,
      physically, mentally, spiritually, IMHO.

      Do what your heart tells you to do, you will find a way. Teach her to love
      learning. Talk to her about your development, the good and the bad. Let her
      know that there is nothing wrong with her.

      Best Wishes,

      Lily

      Quoting isamartire <isamartire@...>:

      > I have been member for some time now, but this is the first time that
      >
      > I have posted a message.
      >
      > I am hoping that someone could give me some advice.  My daughter
      >
      > absolutely hates to go to school. She is in sixth grade. When she was
      >
      > in the fourth grade, we took her out of school and I was hoping to
      >
      > homeschool her, but I felt she needed to be away from the school
      >
      > environment and wait until her desire to learn comes naturally.  At
      >
      > the end of summer vacation, her father insisted that she return to
      >
      > school.
    • patricia tidmore
      Message 2 of 4 , May 26, 2006
        I have been unschooling my 3 boys for 3 yrs now and have enjoyed
        the new life we have found together because of having them home
        with me.
        If you would like to learn about unschooling you can read about it
        by just googling unschooling or join unschoolingbasics yahoo group.
        You can also email me privately.

        isamartire <isamartire@...> wrote:
        I have been member for some time now, but this is the first time that
        I have posted a message.
        I am hoping that someone could give me some advice. My daughter
        absolutely hates to go to school. She is in sixth grade. When she was
        in the fourth grade, we took her out of school and I was hoping to
        homeschool her, but I felt she needed to be away from the school
        environment and wait until her desire to learn comes naturally. At
        the end of summer vacation, her father insisted that she return to
        school. Last year, in fifth grade, she refused to go to school many
        times and her attendance was very poor. We hired a psychologist but I
        felt that she pushed the school's agenda too much and I felt she was
        not very enlightened about my daughter's temperament. She insinuated
        that I was over protecting her. My daughter has improved this year,
        but I feel that her spirit is being broken. I do let her stay home
        from school when she is very stressed. She has cried many nights
        when she thinks of going back to school. My daughter is very bright
        and her marks are very good, but school bores her and she doesn't
        really enjoy being with her peers too much. I don't know what else to
        do for her. We both feel trapped because we feel there is no
        alternative. I am presently living with my daughter's father, but
        what are my options as a single parent homeschooling an only child?

        Help support the continuance of this free group.
        Subcribe to Children of the New Earth Online today.
        http://tinyurl.com/asfgm or
        PlanetLightworker
        http://tinyurl.com/7zyna
        Buy Books, Relaxation CDs and other resources inspired by children
        Indigo Dreams - Resources for Indigo Children by Lori Lite
        http://tinyurl.com/azehx
        Make donation: http://www.paypal.com to kareneck@...

        Graduate school education High school education Home school education Middle school education New york school education School education in california

        ---------------------------------

        "I am learning all the time,the tombstone will be my diploma"-Eartha Kitt

        "Anyone can memorize facts and figures...the REAL way to learn is to get out and experience life and follow your curiosity!!"
        -Quote from the movie Curious George

        On March 18, 2003, two days before her son launched the
        invasion of Iraq, Barbara Bush appeared on Good Morning
        America. Our nation's "First Mother" asked Diane
        Sawyer, "Why should we hear about body bags and death
        and how many? . . . Oh, I mean, it's not relevant. So
        why should I waste my beautiful mind on something like
        that."
        Like mother, like son.

      • Nancy Baumgarten
        Message 3 of 4 , May 27, 2006
          Dear Isa Martire! welcome - hey there. I am nancy the mom of a 21 year old
          highly gifted daughter who has been in college since she was in 11 grade.
          the sentence you wrote,

          "My daughter is very bright
          and her marks are very good, but school bores her and she doesn't
          really enjoy being with her peers too much."

          Really grabs my heart, Isa. I just want to share my experience with just
          one daughter. What you are describing is the characteristics of the highly
          to profoundly gifted. The woman who tested my daughter told me that most
          teachers are not taught ANYTHING about the needs of the gifted. The stress
          your daughter is under is WELL KNOWN in the gifted literature, and should be
          taken seriously. Oddly, even parents are often not aware of their
          children's capabilities, sometimes making the humble assumption that they
          couldn't have gifted children. But the main problem is that
          schools/educators parents do not recognize that the emotional stress on
          gifted kids of not getting the education that they deserve is
          tremendous!!!!!

          OH, the second part of this sentence.... her peers - well that is the
          problem - you are not describing her PEERS, you are using that word to
          describe her CONTEMPORARIES. These are two different groups. My own
          daughter simply had no friends(peers) for years. It was very hard to find
          young people who were operating at the same speed of thought etc...

          SO, I highly advise that you get your information on home schooling from
          <http://www.tagmax.org> www.tagmax.org
          which is part of the program at <http://www.tagfam.org> www.tagfam.org
          (look under the mailing lists link)

          An incredible bunch of committed parents who kept me same for 5 years! You
          will get a phenomenal amount of help and informed ideas to help you and your
          daughter.

          Also you might want to look at www.Hoagies.org for some resources as well.

          Let me know if there is anything else I can help with. blessings and GOOD
          LUCK!
          It will change your families life to recognize and validate her NEED for an
          APPROPRIATE education. does she even HAVE an IEP?

          love
          Nancy

          _____

[...]

          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Graduate+school+education&w1=Graduate+s
          chool+education&w2=High+school+education&w3=Home+school+education&w4=Middle+
          school+education&w5=New+york+school+education&w6=School+education+in+califor
          nia&c=6&s=181&.sig=XeERtAmMH6xOclFlfF3kXw> school education High
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=High+school+education&w1=Graduate+schoo
          l+education&w2=High+school+education&w3=Home+school+education&w4=Middle+scho
          ol+education&w5=New+york+school+education&w6=School+education+in+california&
          c=6&s=181&.sig=89oOLkTPWnhxf__b2u72QA> school education Home
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Home+school+education&w1=Graduate+schoo
          l+education&w2=High+school+education&w3=Home+school+education&w4=Middle+scho
          ol+education&w5=New+york+school+education&w6=School+education+in+california&
          c=6&s=181&.sig=1aW-X2S2ZokW3qzZ8RgBsQ> school education
          Middle
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Middle+school+education&w1=Graduate+sch
          ool+education&w2=High+school+education&w3=Home+school+education&w4=Middle+sc
          hool+education&w5=New+york+school+education&w6=School+education+in+californi
          a&c=6&s=181&.sig=ekWG86FHE6rjFjd8jaZHOw> school education New
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=New+york+school+education&w1=Graduate+s
          chool+education&w2=High+school+education&w3=Home+school+education&w4=Middle+
          school+education&w5=New+york+school+education&w6=School+education+in+califor
          nia&c=6&s=181&.sig=aSJE8BjHS18knvLinwtebQ> york school education
          School
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=School+education+in+california&w1=Gradu
          ate+school+education&w2=High+school+education&w3=Home+school+education&w4=Mi
          ddle+school+education&w5=New+york+school+education&w6=School+education+in+ca
          lifornia&c=6&s=181&.sig=gkGybS6R2TNc7Ffa1FldiA> education in california

          _____

          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

          * Visit your group "indigo-schools
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/indigo-schools> " on the web.