Update on Aubrey

  • lbb116
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 24, 2005
      Hello all...

      Our house is still on the market, but Aubrey and I are staying with my
      mom in Richmond during the week so she can go to the Waldorf school
      there. Boy,what a culture shock! Aubrey's first big adjustments were
      no backpacks, no light up sneakers and no clothing and/or lunchboxes
      with characters (i.e. barbie).

      The next one was russian and german classes. She now loves german,
      handwork classes (bees wax modeling, knitting) and they have painting
      with real watercolors every Friday. Second grade is just starting
      lower case letters and she's already writing and reading chapter
      books, so she gets to write whatever she wants after main lesson. She
      usually writes a poem or a story. (Her spelling is still very creative
      though <g>). They eat snacks at 10:00 and lunch at 12:00! and they
      get two recesses every day (after snack and lunch), except for
      Thursdays when they get dismissed at 12:15. Plus, they go outside in
      all weather (barring thunderstorms and blizzards) -- puddles and snow
      will not cancel recess.

      The Waldorf culture is so Mother Jones. Very organic in every sense
      of the words. I am reminded of Abby and Larry on "Dharma and Greg".
      One mother proudly told me she doesn't watch tv. Waldorf has even
      asked that no one wear black (except for accessories like shoes,
      belts, etc.)

      I like the slower pace and the emphasis on the joy of learning and
      movement. I feel like she is being given the gift of being a child.
      What a concept!

      We still haven't checked out the Montisorri school yet. But we plan
      to do that within the next week or two.

      Aubrey seems to be adjusting and likes the school, so we may stay at
      Waldorf. The school currently goes to grade 5. Hopefully grade 6 will
      be added next year and by the time Aubrey is in grade 5, grades 7 and
      8 will have been formed too. She will keep the same teacher in
      Waldorf each year.

      Is there anyone else out there who has a child in Waldorf? I'd be
      interested in hearing from you?

      Lorie
    • Sara Dennison

        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 26, 2005
          I wish I did! In some cities, there are charter
          schools that are private but don't cost money, you'd
          have to look at them on an individual basis, though,
          they're all different. I personall spend more than I
          can afford to put my 2 kids in Montessori. I'm a
          single Mom and can tell you it's very hard, but I
          can't live with myself any other way. Probably
          home-schooling, if you can find someone who is
          like-minded to do it - or if you can change things
          around to do it yourself. Otherwise, I'd love to know
          some alternatives too!

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • lbb116
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 30, 2005
            It wouldn't hurt to ask about scholarships and financial assistance.

            Lorie

            --- In indigo-schools@yahoogroups.com, Sara Dennison
            <sdennison2002@y...> wrote:
            > Does anybody know of schooling options for someone who could never
            afford the tuitions charged for such schools?

            > lbb116 <lorie_b@c...> wrote:
            > Hello all...
            >
            > Our house is still on the market, but Aubrey and I are staying with my
            > mom in Richmond during the week so she can go to the Waldorf school
            > there. Boy,what a culture shock! Aubrey's first big adjustments were
            > no backpacks, no light up sneakers and no clothing and/or lunchboxes
            > with characters (i.e. barbie).
            >
            > The next one was russian and german classes. She now loves german,
            > handwork classes (bees wax modeling, knitting) and they have painting
            > with real watercolors every Friday. Second grade is just starting
            > lower case letters and she's already writing and reading chapter
            > books, so she gets to write whatever she wants after main lesson. She
            > usually writes a poem or a story. (Her spelling is still very creative
            > though <g>). They eat snacks at 10:00 and lunch at 12:00! and they
            > get two recesses every day (after snack and lunch), except for
            > Thursdays when they get dismissed at 12:15. Plus, they go outside in
            > all weather (barring thunderstorms and blizzards) -- puddles and snow
            > will not cancel recess.
            >
            > The Waldorf culture is so Mother Jones. Very organic in every sense
            > of the words. I am reminded of Abby and Larry on "Dharma and Greg".
            > One mother proudly told me she doesn't watch tv. Waldorf has even
            > asked that no one wear black (except for accessories like shoes,
            > belts, etc.)
            >
            > I like the slower pace and the emphasis on the joy of learning and
            > movement. I feel like she is being given the gift of being a child.
            > What a concept!
            >
            > We still haven't checked out the Montisorri school yet. But we plan
            > to do that within the next week or two.
            >
            > Aubrey seems to be adjusting and likes the school, so we may stay at
            > Waldorf. The school currently goes to grade 5. Hopefully grade 6 will
            > be added next year and by the time Aubrey is in grade 5, grades 7 and
            > 8 will have been formed too. She will keep the same teacher in
            > Waldorf each year.
            >
            > Is there anyone else out there who has a child in Waldorf? I'd be
            > interested in hearing from you?
            >
            > Lorie

            Service.