1666Halloween Time: Fun or Fear?

  • Dr. Charlotte Reznick PhD
    Oct 26, 2011
      If you are having trouble viewing this message, please go to http://community.icontact.com/p/wwwimageryforkids/newsletters/powerofyourchildsimagination/posts/halloween-time-fun-or-fear

      [1]

      DEAR COMMUNITY,

      Halloween Time: Fun or Fear?

      Halloween is supposed to be a fun time for kids of all ages. And for many it
      is. Dress up, hang out with friends or family, and collect candy. What could be
      bad? Plenty, if you ask 11-year-old Louise. Halloween is absolutely no fun at
      all for her. She knows she's supposed to enjoy the spooky decked out houses,
      the scary movies, the haunted homes in her neighborhood.... but it FREAKS her
      out. Even the silly creatures in the Halloween TV commercials are disturbing.
      Her imagination runs away with her and she has nightmares for weeks.

      Louise isn't the only kid I've seen with the Halloween haunts. There are plenty
      of normally happy-go-lucky youngsters who cannot handle the intensity of the
      visual horrors that are put upon them this time of year. Teens too, although
      most are embarrassed to admit it. Their uncomfortable feelings often surface as
      mean, irritable, or annoying behavior. The truth is, sometimes a kid's
      character is just not built for so much scariness.

      But what to do when Halloween is all around us? How can we help our sensitive
      kids develop the tools to get through, and possibly even enjoy this crazy
      holiday we've created? I'd like to offer a key to soothing the "scaries" from
      inside out: a short guided meditation for protection, adapted from The Power of
      Your Child's Imagination: How to Transform Stress and Anxiety into Joy and
      Success. It's been a fear conqueror, and Halloween is another on the list. You
      can adapt the language to fit your child's age and developmental level. Once
      you read it to your child a few times (or make a recording*) he'll be able to
      start remembering and doing for himself before he heads out the door, turns on
      the TV, or shuts his light at bedtime.

      Feeling Safe... a Guided Imagery For Protection:

      "Be aware of the air going into your nose, down into your belly, and then out
      again through your nose. Let yourself find a comfortable rhythm breathing in
      and out slowly - one... two... three.., one... two... three... Now, be aware of
      your chest and your heart. Picture a Heart Center in the middle of your chest.
      As you breathe in and out, imagine a spark of light inside it. It may be as
      small as a dot - or it may already be large. It may be white, or pink, or
      green, or any color you like. Imagine this spot of light expanding with every
      slow breath you take, like a seed growing into hope and love. Allow it to bring
      comfort to melt away any fears and worries, filling your Heart and chest like a
      rippling rainbow.

      "Keep breathing slowly as light gently spreads its warmth through your body,
      filling you with peace and calm. You have all the time you need. When this
      light of safety fills your whole body, imagine its protection spreading six
      inches past your skin. As it grows, notice if your protective light changes.
      Out one foot, two feet, three feet... It surrounds all of you - front, back,
      top, bottom, sideways - like being in a protective egg.

      "Now picture putting a special seal around your safety light. It may be gold,
      silver, copper, or any other color. Inside you are safe and secure; nothing bad
      can come in. Only good. You are protected by your bubble of safety light.
      Anything harmful bounces off back to where it came from....

      Continue on this protective journey at Psychology Today [2]here.

      * A similar version of this script "Feeling Safe" has been recorded with
      musical background for your ease. You can find it on The Power of Your Child's
      Imagination Double CD along with 9 other journeys to inner peace.

      [3]Audio samples, more info, and to order here.

      Focus on..
      Discount Relaxation Trio

      "These CD's are really good for children who are overly busy and feel stressed.
      I really enjoyed them ... I felt very soothed and safe... I am going to listen
      to them often, because they made me feel good and helped me to be much more
      relaxed after school."

      Junior Editor, 9-year-old Holly

      Give the gift of deep relaxation and self-love to the kids in your life.

      Kids Relaxation Trio: Help your child develop the resources to cope with life's
      challenges. Includes "Discovering Your Special Place" and "Creating a Magical
      Garden and Healing Pond" CDs and "Listen to your heart..." heart lovey - helps
      reduce stress just by holding it. [4]15% Discount When you order all three
      products.

      With love and light,

      Featured Teachers

      RENOVATION BOOTCAMP:

      Kitchen

      Robin Siegerman

      What if everything you thought you knew about renovating your kitchen was wrong
      and you could put your family in danger? When would you want to know?

      Renovation Bootcamp:Kitchen - Design and Remodel Your Kitchen without Losing
      Your Wallet, Your Mind or Your Spouse by Robin Siegerman will give you every
      single fact about the topic, from her 20+ years of experience in the business.
      It's an amazing indispensable reference guide!.

      Robin's insights will save you money and give you all the tools you need to get
      through one of the most challenging and exciting phases of home improvement.
      AND if you're considering selling your home, it'll also give you tools to
      upgrade the value of your house at a time when upgrades can mean the difference
      between selling and not selling. .

      [5]Receive this Valuable Self-Help and many Free Gifts when you order.

      40+ AND FABULOUS:
      Find Your Inner Fab

      Sandra Wright

      Sondra Wright has written a primer on how to be your best self. Filled with
      witty, gritty stories from women over 40, "40+ and Fabulous" truly empowers
      women to step into the fullness of who they are by sharing stories of those who
      already have.

      If you want the confidence to reach for your dreams, and as an added bonus,
      have the admiration and respect of men of all ages, check out "40+ and
      Fabulous" today..

      [6]Order This Transformative Book Now and Receive Free Gifts!

      About Dr. Charlotte Reznick
      Charlotte Reznick PhD specializes in helping children and adolescents develop
      the emotional skills necessary for a happy and successful life. She is a
      licensed educational psychologist and Associate Clinical Professor of
      Psychology at UCLA. Dr. Charlotte is the creator of Imagery For Kids^TM:
      Breakthrough for Learning, Creativity, and Empowerment and is the author/
      producer of several therapeutic CDs for children, teens, and parents. An
      international workshop leader on the healing power of children's imagination,
      she maintains a private practice in Los Angeles, California. Visit
      [7]www.ImageryForKids.com

      THE POWER OF YOUR CHILD'S IMAGINATION

      [8]

      Go here to join in.....
      [9]Twitter
      [10]Facebook
      [11]Linked-In

      UPCOMING EVENTS
      2011/2012

      November (TBA)
      Radio Interview (Podcast)
      Happy Healthy Families
      Host: Hannah Keeley
      [12](Link to Site)

      Dec. 13
      Workshop at School
      Paul Revere Middle School
      8:30 - 10:00 am
      Brentwood, CA.
      [13](Link to School)

      Feb. 21
      Workshop at School
      Westchester Parents Nursery School
      7:00 - 9:00 pm
      Westchester, CA.
      [14](Link to School)

      March 22-25
      Workshop at Conference
      Psychotherapy Networker Symposium
      Creating a New Wisdom
      Omni Shoreham Hotel
      Washington, DC
      [15](Link to conference)

      May 3-6
      Workshop at Conference
      California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists
      Annual Conference
      Altogether Now: Diverse Faces of Mental Health
      The San Diego Marriott Mission Valley
      San Diego, CA
      [16](Link to Conference)

      I'm passionate about helping kids develop self-love and learn self-healing
      techniques for life's challenges.

      I'd be delighted to come to your school or organization - anywhere in the
      world. Let me share how Nine Imagination Tools can transform stress and anxiety
      into joy and succes for the lives of the children and teens you care about.

      Contact:
      Write me directly and tell me your needs at
      DrReznick@...

      Imagery For Kids | 11911 San Vicente Blvd. | Suite 240 - Brentwood | Los
      Angeles, CA 90049

      Counseling Services, Guided Imagery, and Meditation Training offered to clients
      living in: Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Pacific Palisades, Malibu, Beverly Hills,
      Beverly Glen, Culver City, Brentwood, Westwood, Marina Del Rey, Mar Vista,
      Encino, Sherman Oaks, Topanga Beach and Topanga Canyon, Ocean Park, Hancock
      Park, West Hollywood.

      Consultation, Workshops, Trainings and Speaking Offered Worldwide: U.S.,
      Europe, Asia, Australia, South America, Africa.

      All Content Copyright ©2010 Charlotte Reznick PhD, All rights reserved.