16617 Soothing Remedies for Kids' Headaches

  • Dr. Charlotte Reznick PhD
    Jun 7, 2011
      If you are having trouble viewing this message, please go to http://community.icontact.com/p/wwwimageryforkids/newsletters/powerofyourchildsimagination/posts/7-soothing-remedies-for-kids-headaches

      [1]

      DEAR COMMUNITY,

      7 Soothing Remedies for Kids' Headaches

      "Instead of having headaches, I learned to feel my feelings. My feelings are
      okay."

      - Jones, age eight

      Ten-year-old Ethan described his headaches as either "pounding cannonballs" on
      the top of his head or "hummungous pliers" gripping his temples. He created a
      character for them: a muscular hard-hat construction worker holding an enormous
      drill in each hand, opening up the top of his head and drilling directly into
      his brain. The intense pain made Ethan weep.

      Headaches are the most common pain kids have and are often associated with high
      levels of pressure and anxiety: 90 percent of all school age children get them,
      while migraines affect 10 percent of kids - too many in my book. Both may be
      caused my specific stressful events, but can be helped - often without
      medication.

      Pediatricians refer their patients with chronic headaches to me all the time.
      My experience has shown me that a child's imagination can help unravel many of
      the tangled nerves and tight muscles that result in headaches, and at the same
      time, learn tension-taming skills that last a lifetime.

      Positive images have a tremendous impact on pain when children are in a relaxed
      state. Focusing on personal imageries can distract kids from discomfort and
      allow them to let go of the tension in their head. It also gives kids a way to
      explore and express the hidden feelings that cause stress. Although tools of
      the imagination can be used on immediate pain, they work well between bouts of
      distress as part of an overall prevention program.

      Here seven headache-prevention tactics to try. They helped Ethan:

      An ounce of prevention: If your child is prone to migraines, talk to him about
      common triggers: chocolate, caffeine, cheese, and sugar; too little/too much
      sleep; bright lights/loud noises; stress; anger or frustration; too much/too
      little exercise; and barometric pressure changes. Knowing the triggers can help
      with preventioin.

      The power behind the pill: Ask your child to describe how she imagines a
      headache pain-reliever works. Ethan described his Tylenol as a S.W.A.T. team
      that parachuted into his brain to rescue him. Perhaps your child can picture a
      soothing scene to help her - with or without the actual pain medicine.

      Create a headache journal: Have your child note the date, time, and level of
      his headache when he feels pain, along with what he was feeling before the
      headache started. Use the 0 to 10 scale (0 = no pain, 10 = the most). When kids
      start to make the connection between frustration, say, and the onset of their
      headaches, it spurs them to learn new coping techniques (e.g.: relaxing
      breathing, meditation, drawing, dancing, something physical to release stress,
      and more).

      Ask three questions: When a child is suffering, these three questions can help
      reduce or eliminate the pain. Have her do deep balloon breathing (breathing
      slowly two to three inches below the navel), then ask: (1) What color is it?
      (2) What shape is it? (3) How heavy is it? After three to five more slow deep
      breaths, ask her again. Continue to breathe and question in rounds. Her pain
      will likely diminish or disappear within five to ten minutes.

      Read the rest of the tips in the [2]Huffington Post HERE[3].

      *Adapted from The Power of Your Child's Imagination: How to Transform Stress
      and Anxiety into Joy and Success.

      Free Activity Book For You!

      I would very much appreciate your help! I'm working on a workbook chock full of
      activities for the kids based on my book. Please send in your ideas for what
      you want - what the kids need....what's already worked for you. It'll
      have a double whammy effect when used with The Power of Your Child's
      Imagination.

      Be the family to win and receive a Free Activity Book! Email me directly at
      DrReznick@...

      Learn more about how to help children overcome headaches, stomachaches, and
      other aches.

      Read The Power of Your Child's Imagination: How to Transform Stress and Anxiety
      into Joy and Success (Perigee/Penguin).

      [4]ORDER HERE and receive 80+ free downloadable gifts.

      If you've read the book and enjoyed it, I would be grateful if you could take a
      few minutes to post a 5* review on [5]Amazon.

      Summer Special Discount Gift Packs 25% Off
      for Kids and for Parents

      "Of all the childrens' meditation CDs I have heard, yours are the best."

      Linda Damon, Ph.D.

      One mom recently read the book and was moved to write...
      "The reason I bought your book was because my daughter had night / day fears. I
      was desperate since it fell on me totally out of the blue... So I found your
      book and started working with her on the meditations every night... She started
      falling asleep very quickly in comparison to 2 hours bed time. That was huge on
      itself! .... I just wanted to share with you how impressive and powerful the
      tools were for us."

      Mother of 9-year-old

      [6]Learn More and Order Summer Special Gift Packs Here

      Still time to register....

      PARENTING DAY

      Skirball Cultural Center

      This Sunday, June 12th, 12:30 - 5:00 pm

      I'm grateful there are a few spots left! Dan Siegel MD is the Keynote speaker.
      I follow with a workshop on The Healing Power of Your Child's Imagination right
      after in Section A (2:15-3:45 pm). There are many amazing presentations to
      choose from, so I hope to see you then.

      For more info and to Register, [7]click here.

      For more info and to register,[8] [9]click here.

      With love and light,

      Featured Teachers

      THE SEVEN SPIRITUAL LAWS

      OF SUPERHEROS

      Deepak Chopra

      In what may his most creative work yet, internationally renowned New York Times
      bestselling author, Deepak Chopra brings you The Seven Spiritual Laws of
      Superheroes, written with his son Gotham.

      You might remember how in The Seven Spiritual Laws of Success, Chopra provided
      his insights and deep wisdom on how you can materially improve your life. He's
      widely considered one of the greatest authorities on consciousness today, and
      never before have his insights been more relevant. Our world is at a major
      crossroads, and our lives on this planet are desperately in need of a
      monumental shift. In his new book. Deepak Chopra shows us how to create that
      shift by tapping into our inner superhero .

      Deepak Chopra and his son Gotham will expertly guide you through the seven
      essential laws that govern the realm of superheroes, explaining how they will
      help you uncover greater happiness, courage, balance, creativity, compassion,
      and purpose.

      [10]Get the book today and receive free gifts.

      99 Things You Wish You Knew Before... Stressing Out

      Lauren E. Miller
      STRESS is one of the most modern daily concerns for everyone! But often, people
      don't deal with their stress until it becomes a disease. 99 Things You Wish You
      Knew Before Stressing Out by author Lauren E. Miller is preventative medicine.
      And she is an expert on stress... and how to beat it. One week prior to her
      final divorce court date, Lauren Miller was diagnosed with stage-three breast
      cancer and told she had a 50 percent chance of survival!

      With MIller's easy-reading guidebook, 99 Things You Wish You Knew Before...
      Stressing out you'll have a whole toolset for living stress-free. Learn how to
      stop stressing and prevent disease today by[11] Ordering Her Book Today.
      [12]

      About Dr. Charlotte Reznick
      Charlotte Reznick PhD specializes in helping children and adolescents develop
      the emotional skills necessary for a happy and successful life. She is a
      licensed educational psychologist and Associate Clinical Professor of
      Psychology at UCLA. Dr. Charlotte is the creator of Imagery For Kids^TM:
      Breakthrough for Learning, Creativity, and Empowerment and is the author/
      producer of several therapeutic CDs for children, teens, and parents. An
      international workshop leader on the healing power of children's imagination,
      she maintains a private practice in Los Angeles, California. Visit
      [13]www.ImageryForKids.com

      THE POWER OF YOUR CHILD'S IMAGINATION

      [14]

      Go here to join in.....
      [15]Twitter
      [16]Facebook
      [17]Linked-In

      UPCOMING EVENTS 2011

      Now Up
      Podcast Interview
      Mom Enough
      Hosts Marti & Erin Erickson
      ([18]Link to Podcast)

      June 12
      Workshop at Conference
      Skirball Cultural Center Presents
      Parenting Seminar
      12:30-5:30 pm
      Using Emotional Intelligence to Raise Compassionate and Resilient Children
      Session A:
      "The Healing Power of Your Child's Imagination"
      Los Angeles, CA
      [19](Link to Conference)

      HAPPY SUMMER...

      I'm passionate about helping kids develop self-love and learn self-healing
      techniques for life's challenges.

      I'd be delighted to come to your school or organization - anywhere in the
      world. Let me share how Nine Imagination Tools can transform stress and anxiety
      into joy and succes for the lives of the children and teens you care about.

      Contact:
      Write me directly and tell me your needs at
      DrReznick@...

      Imagery For Kids | 11911 San Vicente Blvd. | Suite 240 - Brentwood | Los
      Angeles, CA 90049

      Counseling Services, Guided Imagery, and Meditation Training offered to clients
      living in: Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Pacific Palisades, Malibu, Beverly Hills,
      Beverly Glen, Culver City, Brentwood, Westwood, Marina Del Rey, Mar Vista,
      Encino, Sherman Oaks, Topanga Beach and Topanga Canyon, Ocean Park, Hancock
      Park, West Hollywood.

      Consultation, Workshops, Trainings and Speaking Offered Worldwide: U.S.,
      Europe, Asia, Australia, South America, Africa.

      All Content Copyright ©2010 Charlotte Reznick PhD, All rights reserved.