1387Re: [The Indigo Network] improving schools

  • Lily
    Jan 1, 2007
      Greetings,

      As the parent of a 14 year Waldorf Student I feel the need to reply to this
      letter about the lack of academics in Waldorf education. It simply isn't true.
      It is just that the academics are hidden (so to speak) in the lower grades.
      Reading isn't stressed in the lower grades either and it is because different
      students "get" reading at widely different ages. For example, my daughter
      didn't really read, couldn't, until seventh grade, 13 years-old. Today she is
      a senior with a B+ average in a Waldorf high school that is considered to be an
      "honors" program (whatever that means) and colleges are dying to get her.

      The waldorf program is designed around developmental needs, not societal or
      parental needs. Albert Einstein is quoted as saying that "imagination stops
      once a child starts to read" and I believe it is because they are getting
      someone else's ideas and pictures of reality instead of making up their own.

      My daughters friends, some who have been in the same class with her for 14
      years, are some of the finest, brightest, kindist, self-motivated and
      intelligent people I've ever met and they will save the world.

      A parents (or teacher's) job is not to impart information to their child, their
      job is to clear away distractions (TV, bad food, pressure, worry,etc.) so that
      they can discover what they already know. And each child is different and
      Waldorf respects, honors and loves that individuality in all it's wonderous
      forms.

      A good book is "You are your child's first teacher" by Rahima Baldwin.

      Don't compare Waldorf/Steiner schools to other school systems, there is no
      comparison.

      As a parent, past teacher & staff member of a Waldorf school I have learned as
      much from the experience as has my beautiful daughter and her outstanding class
      and schoolmates.

      Namaste,

      Lily

      Namaste,