[indigenous_peoples_literature] introduction

  • Jaime Pereira Gigogne
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 16, 1999
      Hi!

      My name is Jaime Pereira. I´m from Chile. I live at 70 kms. south of
      Santiago. I´m a graphic designer. I join the list because I´m interested
      in literature of natives cultures specially with the beauty of stories
      and tales of their past.

      I´m also concerned about the actual conditions of those cultures. I
      also would like to know ways and experiences about the legal spaces that
      natives can have to get back part of their lands lost. Here in Chile the
      Mapuches are in the middle of this problem with newer eyes and support
      from the general population, that gives us hope.

      I hope to learn more with the experiences of others countries

      congratulations for the group!

      jaime pereira

      eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/indigenous_peoples_literature
    • ssnolan@msn.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 16, 1999
        Hi, my name is Sherry. I live in the San Francisco area, in California.
        I had the wonderful experience of living in a household with Lakota and Objibwa room mates. I am a full time college student with hopes of becoming a lawyer someday. It is my hope to use my education to help the Native American people however I can. I am also a Boy Scout leader, and a merit badge counselor for Boy Scouts on Indian Lore. It is my goal to stress respect/understanding for the traditions/religion/beliefs of Native Americans. I have had many late night discussions with my former room mates and have attended a few pow wows, and a Native American film festival. I grew up in Washington State where the Native American culture is very much a part of living in the Northwest. I look forward to meeting you all. It will be hard for me to join the chat group for the next few weeks, as I am taking Algebra (yuck) this summer at night.

        eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/indigenous_peoples_literature
      • Jean Christophe Helary
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 23, 1999
          Hello,

          I am Jean-Christophe, french person living in Japan. I was in the US 10
          years ago (at 19) and was profundly depressed after attending a natives
          gathering that was probably aimed at tourists.

          I am French but as some of you might know, being French does not mean much.
          My father is Britton, my mother half Gascon half Italian and I speak none of
          those languages. I only speak the official-administrative language (plus
          others I learned in school).

          Back from the states I went to a conference that takes place every year on
          Columbus Day in Paris. There I heard about all the struggles. There were
          Natives coming from all over the World. It was quite impressive, and very
          very interesting. The group who organized that is called Nitassinan
          (spelling).

          I joined this list after years of being far from those matters. In Japan I
          felt compelled to learn about the problems of the Ainu people and others who
          suffered from the establishment of the Japanese State.

          I have never been called bad names, lucky me :-) In the office
          Jean-Christophe is too long so they use Jon or Jan, most french speakers
          call me JC. It sure does not sound as good as "Elder, Storyteller, Teacher,
          Cubmaster, Grandpa, Dad, and Dear"...

          Cheers

          JC :-)

          eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/indigenous_peoples_literature