Indigenous women environmentalists

  • nativelit@earthlink.net
    Message 1 of 1 , May 1, 2001
      oples/message/295

      Tena koutou nga tangata whenua o te ao...greetings
      from Aotearoa (New Zealand.

      I am submitting this e-mail to call for young
      Indigenous women environmentalists (18-28) and
      interested NGO's throughout the Pacific, America's and
      South Asia (incl Sth East) Asia, to consider becoming
      part of a collective process for participating in next
      years UN Summit on Environment (Rio+10).

      I represent a New Zealand based organisation called
      Totara Nations, a non profit, non-government
      organisation (but indigenous controlled and driven by
      youth):

      http://www.totaranations.com/pacific_caucus

      We would like to prepare and be part of a process for
      drafting a collective submission of young grass-roots
      indigenous women's recommendations and testimonies
      from the regions above to participate in the Rio+
      process and hope to hold a conference here in Aotearoa
      (sponsored by NGO's, civil society, Indigenous Nations
      and the United Nations) as part of a collective, young
      indigenous women's driven effort to have our voices
      heard.

      I am also part of a Pacific Youth Environment Network,
      the only one of it's kind that was set up and is
      driven by Pacific youth. A meeting was held by PYEN
      during the week of 16-21 April, and young indigenous
      Pacific women who attended expressed a desire to
      organise this type of forum. We recently drafted the
      Wollongong Declaration. This is not adequate to
      address our particular concerns as young women and we
      would like to organise something more substantial.

      http:www.totaranations/pacificyouth_caucus

      Please forward this e-mail to any young women or NGO's
      that you believe may be interested in participating in
      this process. We also seek funding, and Indigenous
      Nation support for participants to attend both/either
      the conference to be held in February of 2002 in
      Aotearoa (New Zealand), though drafting can occur
      online, as well as sponsorship for young indigenous
      women to attend the Rio+10 Summit. We would like to
      attend collectively, each Nation submitting their
      particular view.

      Most of all we hope to contact our youth sisters out
      there, who place environmental struggles close to
      their heart and believe in the validity of the words
      and they contributions they have to make. If this
      message reaches you, know that there are no
      "prerequisites," other than that your connected with
      your community, and that you have a genuine concern
      for our collective future and the health of the
      Natural world.

      For more enquiries please refer to this email address:
      totaranations@...

      Kia ora,

      Mere Takoko