Fighting Sioux nickname meeting with NCAA set

  • ghwelker3@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 58 , Jul 1, 2011

      Fighting Sioux nickname meeting with NCAA set

      North Dakota's governor, attorney general and legislative leaders plan to meet with the NCAA next month to see if the University of North Dakota can avoid being penalized for continued use of its Fighting Sioux athletics nickname.  UND faces NCAA sanctions and possible complications for its membership in the Big Sky Conference next year if it keeps using the Fighting Sioux nickname and an American Indian head logo past Aug. 15.

      Belcourt man sentenced in stolen painkiller case

      A former pharmacy worker who pleaded guilty to stealing thousands of painkillers from an American Indian hospital in North Dakota has been sentenced to three years of supervised release and 50 hours of community service. Davis was accused of manipulating inventory while working at the Quentin N. Burdick Memorial Hospital in Belcourt. Authorities said nearly 50,000 hydrocodone pills were reported missing between May 2009 and June 2010.

      San Manuel tribe aids Montana Indian flood victims

      The San Manuel Band of Mission Indians has made a $200,000 charitable contribution to the American Red Cross of Montana for its ongoing relief efforts to assist American Indian communities that have been directly affected by late spring flooding along the Little Bighorn and Missouri Rivers. Initially, damage affecting the Crow Indian Reservation grew to include the Fort Belknap Indian Community and Rocky Boy and Fort Peck Indian Reservations. In response, the American Red Cross of Montana was called to action to provide emergency relief through shelter operations, mass care and feeding. They remain ready to assist all who need help in the coming weeks.

      Agreement over Sioux land compensation is hard to find

      On this year's anniversary of "Victory Day," as Lakota people declare the occasion of Custer's defeat, and 300 miles to the south, a meadowlark heralded the Sicangu Lakota Treaty Council at Fort Laramie National Historic Site and a gathering of Sioux bands. Their aim last weekend was to determine what might yet be retrieved from the ashes of old promises.

      County lawmakers mull returning land to NY tribe

      Part of the Onondaga Lake shoreline sacred to the Onondaga Indian Nation could be given to the tribe by county lawmakers in the Syracuse area. The Post-Standard of Syracuse reports that the Onondaga County Legislature is scheduled to vote Tuesday on the non-binding resolution that, if approved, could lead to the tribe's acquisition of a 36-acre parcel known as Murphy's Island.

      Recount set to start in disputed Cherokee election

      A recount that could determine the winner of a disputed election for principal chief of the Cherokee Nation is set to begin. According to a ruling by the American Indian tribe's Supreme Court, the recount will start at 9 a.m. Thursday at the tribal election commission offices in Tahlequah. It's expected the recount process will continue until sometime Friday. More than 15,000 people cast ballots in Saturday's election between challenger Bill John Baker and three-term incumbent Chief Chad Smith.

      BBC: Bolivia moves to end dependence on foreign seed firms

      Bolivian President Evo Morales, has signed a new law which aims to ensure food security for his country. Under the plan, state-owned companies will be set up to produce seeds and fertilisers. The government aims to safeguard biodiversity and protect native foodstuffs, as well as ending dependence on foreign seed companies. The recent rise in global food prices forced many Bolivians to abandon their indigenous staples, such as quinoa, in favour of cheaper, imported products.

      Lightning Medicine: Rare white buffalo calf named

      Thousands of people came from miles around Wednesday to see and honor a legend in the flesh — the white buffalo born in a thunderstorm on a northeast Texas ranch. The rare white buffalo calf, regarded as sacred by the Lakota Sioux, was honored with Native American prayers, religious songs and the solemn smoking of a pipe in a special naming and dedication ceremony at the Lakota Ranch in Greenville, about 50 miles northeast of Dallas.

      New on the blog: Weekly round-up of Indian Country News: http://blog.nmai.si.edu/main/2011/06/indian-country-in-the-news.html

    • Riley Powell
      Message 58 of 58 , Jul 9, 2011
        My wife is from Peru and has brown skin. I called her "my Indian princess" and she took it as an insult:  NO! I NO INDIAN!

        The descendants of native  populations of Peru have been 'run over' by Caucasian Spanish descendants for so many hundreds of years in Peru that they do not want to be identified as native Peruvians. It is sad and very different from here in the USA.