Gods & Goddesses

  • ghwelker3@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 201 , Jul 1, 2010

      There seem to be almost as many different gods and goddesses as there are pagans. In ancient times, different parts of the world worshipped their own gods and goddesses. It is interesting to see the similarities between gods and goddesses of different pantheons.

      I personally am eclectic, and I worship and call upon deities from several different pantheons. I began my study of paganism with the Celtic pantheon, and I do most often work with it, but I also occasionally work with others. I feel comfortable with this. Some people choose just one pantheon to work with. It is really a personal choice.

      Initially, I think the best way to familiarize yourself with a god/dess is to read the myths related to the pantheon. Myths illustrate the personality of the deities that inspired them.

      There are often herbs, stones, symbols and colors associated with each godform. They can be helpful in contacting them.

      The Goddess

      The goddess has many forms and aspects, Below is a list of goddesses from several pantheons and some of the things they rule over. This is by no means a complete list, these are just examples. Another way to look at the goddess is in her three aspects of Mother, maiden and Crone. These represent the three phases of life. These can also be related to three phases of the moon, New Moon (the maiden) Full Moon(the mother) and dark moon the (Crone.) The colors white, red and black also represent the three aspects of the goddess. White represents the Maiden, Red represents the mother and Black represents the crone.

      Kali: (Hindu) The dark goddess. Goddess of death, karma, intuition, protectress of women
      Freyja:(Norse) The Great Goddess. Goddess of cats, beauty, protection, sex
      Danu:(Celtic) also called Danann The Great Mother goddess of water, prosperity and magick
      Morrigan:(Celtic) The Great white goddess. goddess of war, magick, protection and defense, physical strength and energy
      Branwen:(Celtic) Goddess of love, beauty and peace
      Vesta: (roman)Goddess of the hearth, fire, purity. guardian of the home
      Macha: (Celtic) goddess of war, protection.
      Brighid:(Celtic) Goddess of the hearth, creativity, inspiration, love and protection
      Sehkmet:(Egyptian) Lion headed goddess of war and protection
      Bast: (Egyptian) Cat goddess, goddess of animals, happiness, protection, healing.

      The God

      The god has many forms and aspects, just as the goddess does. The god is sometimes worshipped in three aspects: The Sun King, The Green Man, and The Lord of the underworld. The colors corresponding to these aspects are yellow for the sun king, green for the green man, and black for the lord of the underworld. The god is often ignored in favor of the goddess by many pagans. Personally, I think both are equally important in the interest of balance. Both male and female energies exist in the mundane world, therefore, both male and female energies exist in the divine. Below is a list of some gods from several pantheons, and the things they rule over. This is not a complete list, these are just examples.

      Dagda:(Celtic) the Great Father. prosperity, abundance, the Sun, healing.
      Ganesha:(Hindu)The elephant headed. Remover of obstacles and barriers. One of my favorite gods. God of luck, wisdom, prosperity and peace.
      Thoth: (Egyptian) god of magick, divination, writing, balance, the moon and peace
      Sucellus:(Celtic) God of success, strength and protection
      Bel:(Celtic) Sun God, prosperity, healing, purification
      The Green Man: Greek name is Pan, his Celtic name is Cernunnos. Also called Herne. god of nature, the forest, wild animals, fertility.
      Shiva:(Hindu)Great Lord. God of fertility, destruction, healing, strength, meditation
      Bran:(Celtic)creativity, war, writing, protection
      Thor:(Norse)God of weather, protection, and strength
      Freyr:(Norse)god of love
    • ghwelker3@comcast.net
      Message 201 of 201 , Jun 13, 2011

        Young Igorot children in Baguio City dressed in Filipiniana. They speak in several languages.

        Long considered the epitome of culture, languages reflect how people live, how they think, how they dress, how they work, their belief systems, what they eat, and the whole gamut of existence. In earlier times when our communities were more or less isolated even from our neighbors, either by geography and topography or by ethnocentric bias, our languages also developed differently.

        A difference of a few kilometers between villages resulted in variations of the language, with different enunciation and pronunciation, different contextual use of terms, or the use of entirely different terms for the same idea.

        In Kalinga, people of neighboring villages do not even understand each other’s language, a testament to the extent of isolation of their villages from each other.

        Bugnay, Tinglayan, Kalinga. This is the home village of Macliing Dulag, Cordillera martyr. People of this village belong to the Butbut tribe, but they have trouble communicating with the neighboring Basao tribe in their original language, thus communication is done in Ilocano.

        The variations of language in history and in present times, and the misunderstandings or lack of communication that result, are often the subject of our jokes and puns, and not in a few instances when have these also resulted in conflicts between individuals or entire villages.

        In a sense, our languages or dialects served their purpose, for we were able to communicate with the people we interacted most with, our families and the village of our birth. There was no pressing need to learn other languages, because the villages were relatively self-sufficient (even if merely subsistent), and thus interaction with other villages was limited. Further, these small villages had their biases and fears of their neighbors, further restricting interaction.

        The isolation of our villages eventually loosened. We began to interact with people other than those of our village. The traditional biases we held against our neighbors were relieved by the intermarriages we had with them. People strove to develop common terms for use in our communication with others. We varied our enunciation and pronunciation in order that we would be understood by other communities.

        Neighboring villages normally did not have much difficulty in communicating with each other, with minimal adjustments in the dialect. However, the farther away one goes away from his village, communication became a bigger problem. True, it was not impossible to communicate, but it was not easy.

        This development in our languages became necessary specially as our people began to congregate in population centers, whether it be in the cities, the mining boom towns, or provincial capitals. As we interacted with people from faraway villages, it became necessary to find a common language that could bridge the chasm of communication.

        The people of the Cordilleras thus adopted the Ilocano language. While initially Ilocano was a language as alien as any other, it assumed character as a regional language. The extent of this adoption is best exemplified by the Kalinga villages mentioned earlier. They could not understand each other in their dialects, but they could arrive at an understanding using Ilocano.

        Our becoming Ilocano speakers was by no means sudden, and many an old folk left this world not understanding the language. Even at this time, there are people from our villages who have difficulty with it, liberally spicing their discourse with terms unique to their native language. Yet there is no question that with some knowledge of Ilocano, they could get themselves understood.

        As our horizons expanded, we eventually learned to speak other languages, like Tagalog (or, as it is now officially known, Filipino). We also learned English, long the language used in our schools.

        Correctly or not, we generally considered our proficiency in English as superior to that of other Filipinos, even. Of course we also observed that this “advantage” has somehow been diluted, with latter generations suffering from the perceived national “decline of education.”

        Schoolchildren at Easter College in Baguio City participate in the celebration of the Philippines' "Linggo ng Wika," showcasing the national language, Filipino.

        At present, most of our people speak several languages: our native dialect, Ilocano, Tagalog, and English. With varying degrees of fluency, of course, but conversant enough. Our exposure to these different languages results in a hybrid language, where terms from our many tongues often get mixed up in everyday conversation. Communication-wise, it is no problem, for we understand each other quite easily. However, we tend to confuse the syntax of one language for another, or make literal translations that mangle grammar and language rules.

        As we continue to use the hybrid language, our children could no longer distinguish from whence the different terms come. What we pass on to them is a language that is effective for communication, but at the same time it is a language that is neither English, Tagalog, Ilocano, or our native dialect.

        This hybrid language is the native language of our children.

        We, the earlier generations, could readily distinguish which of the terms we are using came from what language, and if necessary, we could revert to an unadulterated discourse solely in our native dialect. We could also speak in Ilocano without the smattering of un-Ilocano terms. And we could speak in relatively fluent English as well. In this sense, we are truly multilingual, for we do speak in several languages.

        Alas for our kids, for the language they speak is neither this nor that.