Facebook is no friend of Robin Kills The Enemy

  • ghwelker3@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 4, 2009
      Facebook is no friend of Robin Kills The Enemy

      http://www.reznetnews.org/article/facebook-not-friendly-natives-29240

      By Nancy Kelsey

      The social networking site that enables millions of "friends" to stay in
      touch with one another has disabled the account of the 27-year-old Lakota
      woman from the Rosebud Indian Reservation in South Dakota. Facebook assumed
      Kills The Enemy was a fake name.

      Now Kills The Enemy — yes, that's her real name — has lost touch with
      hundreds of her Facebook friends. "I'm getting used to it, but it still
      pisses me off," Kills The Enemy said in a telephone interview from He Dog
      School in Parmelee, S.D., where she works as a computer technician and
      mentor.

      On Tuesday, Kills The Enemy received an e-mail notice from Facebook that
      read:

      "Fake names are a violation of our Terms of Use. Facebook requires users to
      provide their full first and last names (i.e. no initials). Nicknames can be
      used in the form of FirstName 'NickName' LastName, but only if they are a
      variation on your real first or last name, such as 'Bob' instead of
      'Robert'.

      "If you would like to use this profile again, just get back to us with your
      real name, and we will reactivate the account for you."

      It was signed, "Thanks for your understanding, Zoe, User Operations Analyst,
      Facebook."

      Facebook officials have not responded to calls and e-mails seeking comment.

      One-Word Account, Killstheenemy

      Kills The Enemy said she had a Facebook account earlier with her last name
      written as one word, Killstheenemy. Her troubles began when she asked
      Facebook to change her name to three separate words. She even submitted
      e-mails with her employer's name and number so Facebook could call and
      verify her name. It never did.

      Now Kills The Enemy waits, hoping a friendlier Facebook will reinstate her
      account. In the meantime, more than 350 people have joined a site support
      group called "Facebook: don't discriminate against Native surnames!!!" (The
      group was created by this reporter.)

      Members are American Indians and non-Natives, and some have last names such
      as Her Many Horses, Bear Eagle, Big Crow and Twoleggins.

      One person with the last name of CrazyBull, all one word on the site, wrote
      some words of sympathy:

      "When I joined Facebook they didn't accept my name as a real name either. I
      sent emails and after going back and forth a couple of times, I decided not
      to join. After a few weeks I joined and put my name as one word. It makes me
      angry that people are so ignorant!"

      Kills The Enemy said she's grown used to skepticism about her name when she
      is off the reservation. The Kills The Enemy's name is a shortened
      translation of an ancestor's given name from about four generations back.
      Many Native Americans were given names in ceremonies or through Vision
      Quests, she said.

      What makes her roll her eyes is that there are people on Facebook with
      obviously fake names.

      "They can have Isthebest as a last name, and I can't have my last name?" she
      said

      Kelsey reported from Lincoln, Neb.

      "When the Earth is sick, the animals will begin to disappear, when that
      happens, The Warriors of the Rainbow will come to save them." Chief Seattle