Gluscabi and the Wind Eagle - Penobscot

  • Blue Panther
    Message 1 of 1 , May 1, 2007
      Gluscabi and the Wind Eagle - Penobscot

      Gluscabi and the Wind Eagle Long ago, Gluscabi lived with his grandmother,
      Woodchuck, in a small lodge beside the big water. One day Gluscabi was
      walking around when he looked out and saw some ducks in the bay. "I think it
      is time to go hunt some ducks," he said. So he took his bow and arrows and
      got into his canoe. He began to paddle out into the bay and as he paddled he
      sang: Ki yo wah ji neh yo hey ho hey Ki yo wah ji neh Ki yo wah ji neh But a
      wind came up and it turned his canoe and blew him back to shore. Once again
      Gluscabi began to paddle out and this time he sang his song a little harder.
      KI YO WAH JI NEH YO HEY HO HEY KI YO WAH JI NEH KI YO WAH JI NEH But again
      the wind came and blew him back to shore. Four times he tried to paddle out
      into the bay and four times he failed. He was not happy. He went back to the
      lodge of his grandmother and walked right in, even though there was a stick
      leaning across the door, which meant that the person inside was doing some
      work and did not want to be disturbed. "Grandmother," Gluscabi asked, "What
      makes the wind blow?" Grandmother Woodchuck looked up from her work.
      "Gluscabi," she said, "Why do you want to know?" Then Gluscabi answered her
      just as every child in the world does when they are asked such a question.
      "Because," he said. Grandmother Woodchuck looked at him. "Ah, Gluscabi, "
      she said. "Whenever you ask such questions I feel there is going to be
      trouble. And perhaps I should not tell you. But I know that you are very
      stubborn and would never stop asking. So, I shall tell you. If you walk
      always facing the wind you will come to the place where Wuchowsen stands."
      "Thank you, Grandmother," said Gluscabi. He stepped out of the lodge and
      faced into the wind and began to walk. He walked across the fields and
      through the woods and the wind blew hard. He walked through the valleys and
      into the hills and the wind blew harder still. He came to the foothills and
      began to climb and the wind still blew harder. Now the foothills were
      becoming mountains and the wind was very strong. Soon there were no longer
      any trees and the wind was very, very strong. The wind was so strong that it
      blew off Gluscabi's moccasins. But he was very stubborn and he kept on
      walking, leaning into the wind. Now the wind was so strong that it blew off
      his shirt, but he kept on walking. Now the wind was so strong that it blew
      off all his clothes and he was naked, but he still kept walking. Now the
      wind was so strong that it blew off his hair, but Gluscabi still kept
      walking, facing into the wind. The wind was so strong that it blew off his
      eyebrows, but he still continued to walk. Now the wind was so strong that he
      could hardly stand. He had to pull himself along by grabbing hold of the
      boulders. But there, on the peak ahead of him, he could see a great bird
      flapping its wings. It was Wuchowsen, the Wind Eagle. Gluscabi took a deep
      breath, "GRANDFATHER!" he shouted. The Wind Eagle stopped flapping his wings
      and looked around. "Who calls me Grandfather?" he said. Gluscabi stood up.
      "It's me, Grandfather. I came up here to tell you that you do a very good
      job making the wind blow." The Wind Eagle puffed out his chest with pride.
      "You mean like this?" he said and flapped his wings even harder. The wind
      that he made was so strong that it lifted Gluscabi right off his feet, and
      he would have been blown right off the mountain had he not reached out and
      grabbed a boulder again. "GRANDFATHER!!!" Gluscabi shouted again. The Wind
      Eagle stopped flapping his wings. "Yes?" he said. Gluscabi stood up and came
      closer to Wuchowsen. "You do a very good job of making the wind blow,
      Grandfather. This is so. But it seems to me that you could do an even better
      job if you were on that peak over there." The Wind Eagle looked over toward
      the other peak. "That may be so," he said, "but how would I get from here to
      there?" Gluscabi smiled. "Grandfather," he said, "I will carry you. Wait
      here." Then Gluscabi ran back down the mountain until he came to a big
      basswood tree. He stripped off the outer bark and from the inner bark he
      braided a strong carrying strap which he took back up the mountain to the
      Wind Eagle. "Here, Grandfather," he said, "let me wrap this around you so I
      can lift you more easily." Then he wrapped the carrying strap so tightly
      around Wuchowsen that his wings were pulled in to his sides and he could
      hardly breathe. "Now, Grandfather," said Gluscabi, picking the Wind Eagle
      up, "I will take you to a better place." He began to walk toward the other
      peak, but as he walked he came to a place where there was a large crevice,
      and as he stepped over it he let go of the carrying strap and the Wind Eagle
      slid down into the crevice, upside down, and was stuck. "Now," Gluscabi
      said, "it is time to go hunt some ducks." He walked back down the mountain
      and there was no wind at all. He waited till he came to the tree line and
      still no wind blew. He walked down to the foothills and down to the hills
      and the valleys and still there was no wind. He walked through the forest
      and the fields and the wind did not blow at all. He walked and walked until
      he got back to the lodge by the water, and by now all his hair had grown
      back. He put on some fine new clothing and a new pair of moccasins and took
      his bow and arrows and went back to the bay and climbed into his boat to
      hunt ducks. He paddled out into the water and sang his canoeing song: Ki yo
      wah ji neh yo hey ho hey Ki yo wah ji neh Ki yo wah ji neh But the air was
      very hot and still and he began to sweat. The air was so still and hot that
      it was hard to breathe. Soon the water began to grow dirty and smell bad and
      there was so much foam on the water he could hardly paddle. He was not
      pleased at all and he returned to the shore and went straight to his
      grandmother's lodge and walked in. "Grandmother," he said, "what is wrong?
      The air is hot and still and it is making me sweat and it is hard to
      breathe. The water is dirty and covered with foam. I cannot hunt ducks at
      all like this." Grandmother Woodchuck looked up at Gluscabi. "Gluscabi," she
      said, "what have you done now?" And Gluscabi answered just as every child in
      the world answers when asked that question, "Oh, nothing," he said.
      "Gluscabi," said Grandmother Woodchuck again, "Tell me what you have done."
      Then Gluscabi told her about going to visit the Wind Eagle and what he had
      done to stop the wind. "Oh, Gluscabi," said Grandmother Woodchuck, "will you
      never learn? Tabaldak, The Owner, set the Wind Eagle on that mountain to
      make the wind because we need the wind. The wind keeps the air cool and
      clean. The wind brings the clouds that give us rain to wash the Earth. The
      wind moves the waters to keep them fresh and sweet. Without the wind, life
      will not be good for us, for our children, or our children's children.
      Gluscabi nodded his head. "Kaamoji, Grandmother," he said. "I understand."
      Then he went outside. He faced in the direction from which the wind had once
      come and began to walk. He walked through the fields and through the forests
      and the wind did not blow and he felt very hot. He walked through the
      valleys and up the hills and there was no wind and it was very hard for him
      to breathe. He came to the foothills and began to climb and he was very hot
      and sweaty indeed. At last he came to the to the mountain where the Wind
      Eagle once stood and he went and looked down into the crevice. There was
      Wuchosen, the Wind Eagle, wedged upside down. "Uncle?" Gluscabi called. The
      Wind Eagle looked up as best he could. "Who calls me Uncle?" he said. "It is
      Gluscabi, Uncle. I'm up here. But what are you doing down there?" "Oh,
      Gluscabi," said the Wind Eagle, "a very ugly naked man with no hair told me
      that he would take me to the other peak so that I could do a better job of
      making the wind blow. He tied my wings and picked me up, but as he stepped
      over this crevice he dropped me in and I am stuck. And I am not comfortable
      here at all." "Ah, Grandfather , Uncle, I will get you out." Then Gluscabi
      climbed down into the crevice. He pulled the Wind Eagle free and placed him
      back on the mountain and untied his wings. "Uncle," Gluscabi said, "it is
      good that the wind should blow sometimes and other times it is good that it
      should be still." The Wind Eagle looked at Gluscabi and then nodded his
      head. "Grandson," he said, "I hear what you say." So it is that sometimes
      there is wind and sometimes it is very still to this very day. And now,
      kespeadooksit--the story ends.