TAINO INDIANS MAY MAKE LAST STAND AT CEREMONIAL CENTER

  • UCTP Office
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 27, 2005
      TAINO INDIANS MAY MAKE LAST STAND AT CEREMONIAL CENTER

      UTUADO, PUERTO RICO – A group of indigenous Taíno Indian community
      leaders have been occupying a state run archeological park in
      Utuado, Puerto Rico since Sunday. The Taíno are protesting the
      desecration and destruction of sacred sites around the island as
      well as other violations of their human rights.

      After local authorities in Utuado assured the group there would be
      no arrests, police may be set to vacate the Caguana Ceremonial
      Center as earlier as tomorrow afternoon. The authorities have now
      served the leaders with a citation to appear in court tomorrow
      morning at 9m. Naniki Reyes Ocasio, a Taíno leader from Orocovis has
      stated that they will not vacate the ceremonial grounds, which they
      consider sacred. "We are exercising our basic human rights to bring
      attention an issue that has been ignored by this and previous
      administrations" she said. "We have still not heard anything from
      the Governor's office."

      Police and park officials have now barred any persons from entering
      into the park including press and the group's lawyer. A large crowd
      of Taíno descendants and supporters continues to gather outside the
      gates while the leaders remain inside the ceremonial grounds.

      "We are now going through a process of purification physically and
      spiritually" stated Elba Anaca Lugo a Taíno leader who was born in
      Utuado. "Seven of us have decided to begin a hunger strike until the
      Governor decides to meet with us here."

      The group states that the occupation was necessary to bring
      attention to the continued violations of indigenous rights on the
      island. Past calls for official dialogue have been ignored. The
      Taíno are calling for increased local and international pressure on
      Governor Aníbal Acevedo Vila to secure a meeting to discuss their
      issues formally. Support letters and phone calls to the Governor's
      Office are urged as the threat of police action draws closer.

      *Source - http://uctp.blogspot.com/

      For Information on site in Puerto Rico contact: GUATIBIRI 1-787-519-
      3551

      For contact in New York: Roberto Múcaro Borrero 1-212-604-4186

      *For a related story in espanol visit:
      http://www.endi.com/2005/07/27/pueblos.asp
    • ghwelker
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 4, 2005
        Reply to letter sent to Governor of Puerto Rico:

        Welcome to the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico Website, www.gobierno.pr

        You can refer your letter to the Governor's Office at the following
        electronic address: elaureano@...

        Thank your for visiting our site.

        Lizzette Goris
        Gobierno Electrónico