New Chilean Indigenous People Portal

  • ghwelker
    Message 1 of 2 , May 6 7:13 AM
      New Chilean Indigenous People Portal

      We invite you to visit and experience the new Chilean Indigenous
      People Portal:

      http://www.beingindigenous.org

      The main goal is to promote the cultural Indigenous customs and
      values,
      showing the spiritual, artistic and cultural production, through
      articles
      and features. This project is supported by Chilean Indigenous People
      Department under The Ministry of Culture of Chile - MINEDUC.

      In our Portal, available in English and Spanish, we have include
      useful
      information, like historical and cultural information about Aymara's,
      Kolla's, Rapa Nui's, Diaguitas's, Mapuche's, Selknam's etc., Native
      Languages Dictionaries, Digital Books, Music, Video and a interesting
      directory of web linkse. It's our special interest to give you any
      support
      about Chilean Indigenous People Issues, so do not hesitate to contact
      us.

      We have news every month and if you want to stay up dated we suggest
      you to
      subscribe to our monthly Newsletter in
      http://www.beingindigenous.org/index_english/subscribe/mailinglist.htm

      Thank you for your time and let us send you an hello in different
      native
      languages: "Kamisaraki" in Aymara, "Iorana" in Rapa Nui, "Mari Mari"
      in
      Mapuche

      Your Beingindigenous.org Team
      http://www.beingindigenous.org (english)
      http://www.serindigena.cl (español)

      For any comments or questions write to info@...
      =========
      Upon arriving the Incas to Chile, in the XV century, almost all
      native groups were farmers, ceramists, weavers, with certain social
      organization and they were at the beginning of metal work.
      Exception were Selk'nam, Yagán and Kawésqar. They were descending of
      the first paleolithic residents come from the north, probably some
      15,000 years ago.

      The Incas introduced new ethnic and cultural roots in the conquered
      zones. They mixed themselves with native population, mainly in the
      north, and with the Pikunche-mapuche until the Maule river, because
      they extended their dominance until that natural border.
      This altiplanica civilization introduced notable changes in the ways
      of life, in the economy and in the indigenous technology.
      Some of these groups, that we know for their archaeological remains,
      had already disappeared or were in roads of extinction, such like
      ariqueños and molles; or by the crossbreeding had lost their identity.

      These Extinct Cultures constitute an important patrimony and their
      features can be watch at current indigenous towns. Other people were
      culturally in higher position or in transition toward a complex
      society, how it is the case of Atacameños, Diaguitas and Pikunches.
      Another, like the Mapuche, called Araucanian for the Spaniards, they
      had not entered to the regime imposed by the Incas and they
      constituted separated tribes. The rest were in the paleolithic period
      and constituted nomadic bands.

      Hundred years later, in the north, at the arrival of European
      conquerors, they were only few Changos at the coast and diverse
      Atacamenos groups, culturally related with people of the highland
      perú-Bolivian. In Chile are eight national indigenous communities
      recognize, and have been located small communities descending from
      Diaguitas and Changos, which have been considered extinguished
      cultures already.

      The spiritual world of native cultures are an experience of permanent
      life. From the childhood the members of these cultures receive
      ancestral teachings, based on the harmony with nature and in the
      respect for their gifts.

      However through the interaction with European society imposed by
      conquerors have suffered the loss of their spiritual traditions.
      At the moment, there are conserved beliefs and rituals, but their
      main manifestations are religious parties, where original vision and
      Western Christian mixes giving origin to a spiritual sincretism.
      However the cult to the "Mother earth" is permanent on time and in
      their celebrations.

      Before the arrival from the Spaniards in the XV century, the natives
      of the current national territory spoke their own language,
      designating to animals, to forces of the nature and to spirits in a
      peculiar manner.

      The Inca empire didn't cause the extinction of original languages,
      although it was dominating great part of the current Chilean
      territory. Northern people learned the quechua in order to
      communicate and trade with the Incas, practicing bilingualism.
      With the Hispanic conquest, the Castilian language displaced to a
      second plane the great majority of indigenous languages.

      At the moment, four original languages are spoken in Chile: Aymara,
      Mapudungun, Rapanui and Kawésqar. All belong to the family andino-
      ecuatorial of the indoamerican linguistic group; Rapa Nui is an
      exception, classified as a Polynesian language.

      Indigenous extinct languages are: Kunza (atacamenan language),
      Kakán (diaguita language), Aonikaish (Aonikenk language), Selk'nam
      and Yámana or Yagán.

      Acculturation process influenced in an important manner in the loss
      of the language of original cultures.

      Many mapuche parents prohibited their children speak mapudungun, so
      these were not discriminated by Chilean population. So many men and
      women forgot their original language. If we want that these languages
      don't extinguish, as long as cultural patrimony of the humanity, the
      education is fundamental.

      Today exists initiatives to rescue the identity and talks about
      original languages, much from the local communities as like the
      government politicians. The Bilingual Intercultural Education
      program, of the Ministry of Education responds to this objective.
      Creation of the Mapuche World (Creation Story)

      http://www.serindigena.cl/espanol/animaciones/domo.htm

      The Snake and the Sea and the Earth

      http://www.serindigena.cl/espanol/animaciones/kaiten/kaiten.htm
    • Glenn Welker