AUSTRALIA: Land Rights

  • Neshoba
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1, 2003
      Wednesday, 2 April 2003, 10:04:04 AEST
      Land offered as 'goodwill' to traditional owners

      The Western Australian Government will grant freehold title
      over 50,000 hectares of Crown land in the east Kimberley if
      the traditional owners agree to settle their native title
      claim.

      The Miriuwong-Gajerrong first lodged a claim for 6,000 square
      kilometres of northern Western Australia and the Northern
      Territory nine years ago.

      It was seen as a test case for native title over pastoral
      land and the claim see-sawed through the federal and high
      courts without resolution.

      Aboriginal MP Carol Martin says the offer of land outside the
      strict definition of native title is a gesture of goodwill.

      "We've got a lot as Kimberley people to be proud of that
      we've got a Government that wants a resolution where native
      title is concerned," she said.

      The traditional owners have long claimed the land parcel was
      promised to them 30 years ago when their sacred sites in the
      east Kimberley were flooded to make way for the creation of
      the Argyle Dam.