Re: [indie-netgaming] Idea...

  • Jonathan Walton
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 21, 2003
      >How is this different from what we do here now? Just that we'd be committing
      >to play no longer than one month? I've encountered the same problems with
      >lack of interest on long running PBEM games. But why does it then make sense
      >to limit the game even moreso artificially?

      Reality check, courtesy of Mike Holmes :)

      But seriously, I think what I'm proposing is significantly different than
      what exists already. Like you implied, the Indie Netgaming YahooGroup and
      the Forge are not places for playing/playtesting games. They both are
      places to announce such things, but you have to go elsewhere is you want to
      actually play something. Fine. Cool. All well and good. But there's an
      opportunity being missed here.

      What I'm thinking about is a place for people who like indie games to play
      indie games. Not just one indie game until you get sick of it, but a whole
      series of different indie games at different times. Instead of creating a
      Torchbearer PBeM and a Universalis PBeM and a Pool PBeM and a Dust Devils
      PBeM, you create one mailing list devoted to playing indie games and switch
      on a regular basis, to make sure you never stagnate or lose interest (the
      bane of all PBeMs). So I could decide that, this month, I don't really
      have the time to commit to something, so I might sit out the Pool, but play
      Dust Devils when it comes up next month. If one of the PBeMs crashes, you
      can let it go and start getting ready for next month's game.

      It'd be sorta like the kinds of face-to-face groups that play a different
      game every week (or the way we do Monday Night Gaming), except it'd be over
      email, so there'd be less problems getting everyone together, but it would
      take a lot longer to finish one game.

      Is that a little clearer?

      Later.
      Jonathan
    • Shreyas Sampat
      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 21, 2003
        Mike,

        Actually, I think you're absolutely right; I've sort of allowed Monday Night
        IRC to dominate my perception of i-n play.

        On that note, and since you asked about TB, I have a mailing list at
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/torchbearer_rpg/ .

        I'd still like to playtest TB, so I'm starting a PBeM. Anyone who's interested
        can join the group.

        Jonathan,

        This is interesting. I don't really know what to make of it.

        =====
        ---
        shreyas

        http://mailplus.yahoo.com
      • Nathan E Banks
        • Nathan E Banks
          • the GreyOrm
            Message 5 of 17 , Jan 21, 2003
              From: "Nathan E Banks" <paganini@...>
              > Wouldn't it be kind of
              > messy to have threads from multiple games in one group?
              >
              > Or are you suggesting that we have a group where play is
              > *continuous,* as soon as you finish one game you start the next?

              I submit either idea would work.
              In the former case, simply delineate the PBEM threads by subject line; ex:
              ((Torchbearer)) Re: Bob's turn; ((The Pool)) Running into a Wall; etc.
              In the latter, no such distinction is necessarily needed.

              - Rev. Ravenscrye Grey Daegmorgan

              Art prints, t-shirts, posters and other cool stuff.
              Ravengear @ www.daegmorgan.net/sleipnir/ravengear.htm
              **Link fixed**
            • Jonathan Walton
              Message 6 of 17 , Jan 22, 2003
                > Or are you suggesting that we have a group where play is
                > *continuous,* as soon as you finish one game you start the next?

                That was more what I was thinking of. Imagine the Monday Night IRC thing,
                but spread out over a series of weeks. Basically, it would just be another
                forum, like IRC, for playing games. Raven's right about simultaneous games
                being possible, though.

                It's too bad I already have 200 projects, or I'd do it in a
                heartbeat. Maybe in a couple of months...

                Later.
                Jonathan
              • Nathan E Banks
                • Jonathan Walton
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jan 22, 2003
                    >So, anyone want to try out a PBeM of SOAP?

                    "If you run it, they will come."

                    ;)

                    Later.
                    Jonathan
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jan 22, 2003
                      OK, that does make more sense. I get it now, I think. And I think the best
                      way to try it out would be as you originally intended it (I think). That is,
                      start a new group, link to it here, and play one game at a time. Anyone who
                      wants their own PBEM or a longer format can always start their own or spin
                      one off.

                      I'm not saying it would work, but I think it's worth a try. What I wouldn't
                      want to see is this list getting cluttered with actual play. This list seems
                      best used for discussions like this about what to play, when and how.
                      Further, I think that any single list that did simultaneous games would be
                      cluttered. Again, better to just start a new list if you want to do another
                      game.

                      This all said, for the concept to work I think would require some
                      leadership. Someone to decide what was currently running, and to terminate
                      after the one-month period, etc. Would be really good for games like SOAP
                      that have to get started sans GM. Generally crack the whip as admin on the
                      site. Jonathan, any chance you'd offer? Need any help setting up a group?

                      What to call it to make it clear what it is? Indie Netgaming Round-Robin
                      Playtest?

                        September 11, 2001
                        Remember the Fallen...
                        "FDNY - They did what We would" - Liam Carroll, firefighter

                        visit Bob at -

                        http://www.equinoxartstudios.com   business  http://www.geocities.com/bob_mcnamee/   personal

                        or Pat at - http://www.feyfolkcrafts.com

                      • Jonathan Walton
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jan 22, 2003
                          Well, I would definitely be willing to put something together as long as I
                          knew there was enough interest and that I wouldn't have to run the games
                          all the time. Soap would be great to start with because it needs an
                          Facilitator more than a GM. Same goes with Universalis and other such
                          GM-less vehicles. Still, I have nightmares of me getting stuck with the
                          responsibility of running a new game every month.

                          Ideally, we would eventually get people who wanted to playtest their
                          own games, so we'd
                          have GMs who knew the system (cuz they wrote it), and were devoted to
                          helping other people play it. Also, playing unpublished or free games
                          would be easier, just because anyone could play, not just the ones who'd
                          forked over cash for a specific game.

                          In any case, the best place to host PBeMs, period, is the Phoenyx
                          (http://www.phoenyx.net/), because they have a dice-server and all these
                          list fuctions tailor-made for email gaming. I'll send an email to the
                          people who run it and see if they would be interested in the possibility.

                          Later.
                          Jonathan