Re: [indie-netgaming] Idea...

    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 21, 2003
      Jonathan, Shreyas,

      How is this different from what we do here now? Just that we'd be committing
      to play no longer than one month? I've encountered the same problems with
      lack of interest on long running PBEM games. But why does it then make sense
      to limit the game even moreso artificially?

      What I'm saying is, I guess, that this is the place to organize such play.
      This is what I did with Synthesis, here, and I'm currently in a Sci-Fi
      (Traveller-esque) PBEM that recruited here. So, if that's what you want to
      do, then propose a one month PBEM of something and do it. Hopefully, if it's
      successful, others will follow suit.

      As far as where to discuss this, well, here is the place to discuss this,
      not the Forge. The Forge is technically unafilliated, and specifically
      restricts such interaction (though you can post playtests on the Contacts
      list). And, again, I see no reason to set up an additional list that
      replicates the function of this one (and would presumably dilute this one,
      therefore). This list, as we've pointed out repeatedly, is not the "Monday
      Night IRC" list. It's supposed to be for setting up any sort of online
      gaming associated with any indie RPG. As such, I think its exactly the place
      to organize exactly what you're talking about.

      On a different note, I'm not really sure what the appeal of a Forum based
      RPG is, particularly. Or, rather, we've always used Yahoo Groups to run
      these, and they seem to have all the features you might need. First, it
      serves like a forum for people to come look at the game when they need to.
      Other than that, it sends the posts right to your mail, which is convenient
      (and if you don't like it you can turn it off and just use the message
      archive like a Forum). Further there are places to store files for the
      group, a calandar to organize important dates, and even a chatroom with each
      group should the group need to get together in real time (though I don't
      particularly recommend them for play; IRC is much better). So that's what
      I'd suggest.

      So, if you are offering to run Torchbearer, or something, just say so here,
      and give a link to a Yahoo Group.

      Or have I missed something crucial?

      Mike

      >From: Shreyas Sampat <laopooh@...>
      >
      >I think, provided that we use the PbEM format effectively, this would be
      >pretty
      >cool. I've made attempts to play in lengthy games before, and without fail
      >it's the lack of interest that makes them collapse. We already have an
      >interested group, and your idea circumvents the danger of players having to
      >drop in and out as their Real Lives intrude; I think it could work.
      >
      >Alternatively (sort of), I think it would be really neat to have a
      >play-by-forum setup. Though this might just be because of the novelty;
      >I've
      >never done it, so it sounds cool.
      >

      >=====
      >---
      >shreyas

      >http://mailplus.yahoo.com

    • Jonathan Walton
      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 21, 2003
        >How is this different from what we do here now? Just that we'd be committing
        >to play no longer than one month? I've encountered the same problems with
        >lack of interest on long running PBEM games. But why does it then make sense
        >to limit the game even moreso artificially?

        Reality check, courtesy of Mike Holmes :)

        But seriously, I think what I'm proposing is significantly different than
        what exists already. Like you implied, the Indie Netgaming YahooGroup and
        the Forge are not places for playing/playtesting games. They both are
        places to announce such things, but you have to go elsewhere is you want to
        actually play something. Fine. Cool. All well and good. But there's an
        opportunity being missed here.

        What I'm thinking about is a place for people who like indie games to play
        indie games. Not just one indie game until you get sick of it, but a whole
        series of different indie games at different times. Instead of creating a
        Torchbearer PBeM and a Universalis PBeM and a Pool PBeM and a Dust Devils
        PBeM, you create one mailing list devoted to playing indie games and switch
        on a regular basis, to make sure you never stagnate or lose interest (the
        bane of all PBeMs). So I could decide that, this month, I don't really
        have the time to commit to something, so I might sit out the Pool, but play
        Dust Devils when it comes up next month. If one of the PBeMs crashes, you
        can let it go and start getting ready for next month's game.

        It'd be sorta like the kinds of face-to-face groups that play a different
        game every week (or the way we do Monday Night Gaming), except it'd be over
        email, so there'd be less problems getting everyone together, but it would
        take a lot longer to finish one game.

        Is that a little clearer?

        Later.
        Jonathan
      • Shreyas Sampat
        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 21, 2003
          Mike,

          Actually, I think you're absolutely right; I've sort of allowed Monday Night
          IRC to dominate my perception of i-n play.

          On that note, and since you asked about TB, I have a mailing list at
          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/torchbearer_rpg/ .

          I'd still like to playtest TB, so I'm starting a PBeM. Anyone who's interested
          can join the group.

          Jonathan,

          This is interesting. I don't really know what to make of it.

          =====
          ---
          shreyas

          http://mailplus.yahoo.com
        • Nathan E Banks
          • Nathan E Banks
            • the GreyOrm
              Message 6 of 17 , Jan 21, 2003
                From: "Nathan E Banks" <paganini@...>
                > Wouldn't it be kind of
                > messy to have threads from multiple games in one group?
                >
                > Or are you suggesting that we have a group where play is
                > *continuous,* as soon as you finish one game you start the next?

                I submit either idea would work.
                In the former case, simply delineate the PBEM threads by subject line; ex:
                ((Torchbearer)) Re: Bob's turn; ((The Pool)) Running into a Wall; etc.
                In the latter, no such distinction is necessarily needed.

                - Rev. Ravenscrye Grey Daegmorgan

                Art prints, t-shirts, posters and other cool stuff.
                Ravengear @ www.daegmorgan.net/sleipnir/ravengear.htm
                **Link fixed**
              • Jonathan Walton
                Message 7 of 17 , Jan 22, 2003
                  > Or are you suggesting that we have a group where play is
                  > *continuous,* as soon as you finish one game you start the next?

                  That was more what I was thinking of. Imagine the Monday Night IRC thing,
                  but spread out over a series of weeks. Basically, it would just be another
                  forum, like IRC, for playing games. Raven's right about simultaneous games
                  being possible, though.

                  It's too bad I already have 200 projects, or I'd do it in a
                  heartbeat. Maybe in a couple of months...

                  Later.
                  Jonathan
                • Nathan E Banks
                  • Jonathan Walton
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jan 22, 2003
                      >So, anyone want to try out a PBeM of SOAP?

                      "If you run it, they will come."

                      ;)

                      Later.
                      Jonathan
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jan 22, 2003
                        OK, that does make more sense. I get it now, I think. And I think the best
                        way to try it out would be as you originally intended it (I think). That is,
                        start a new group, link to it here, and play one game at a time. Anyone who
                        wants their own PBEM or a longer format can always start their own or spin
                        one off.

                        I'm not saying it would work, but I think it's worth a try. What I wouldn't
                        want to see is this list getting cluttered with actual play. This list seems
                        best used for discussions like this about what to play, when and how.
                        Further, I think that any single list that did simultaneous games would be
                        cluttered. Again, better to just start a new list if you want to do another
                        game.

                        This all said, for the concept to work I think would require some
                        leadership. Someone to decide what was currently running, and to terminate
                        after the one-month period, etc. Would be really good for games like SOAP
                        that have to get started sans GM. Generally crack the whip as admin on the
                        site. Jonathan, any chance you'd offer? Need any help setting up a group?

                        What to call it to make it clear what it is? Indie Netgaming Round-Robin
                        Playtest?

                          September 11, 2001
                          Remember the Fallen...
                          "FDNY - They did what We would" - Liam Carroll, firefighter

                          visit Bob at -

                          http://www.equinoxartstudios.com   business  http://www.geocities.com/bob_mcnamee/   personal

                          or Pat at - http://www.feyfolkcrafts.com

                        • Jonathan Walton
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jan 22, 2003
                            Well, I would definitely be willing to put something together as long as I
                            knew there was enough interest and that I wouldn't have to run the games
                            all the time. Soap would be great to start with because it needs an
                            Facilitator more than a GM. Same goes with Universalis and other such
                            GM-less vehicles. Still, I have nightmares of me getting stuck with the
                            responsibility of running a new game every month.

                            Ideally, we would eventually get people who wanted to playtest their
                            own games, so we'd
                            have GMs who knew the system (cuz they wrote it), and were devoted to
                            helping other people play it. Also, playing unpublished or free games
                            would be easier, just because anyone could play, not just the ones who'd
                            forked over cash for a specific game.

                            In any case, the best place to host PBeMs, period, is the Phoenyx
                            (http://www.phoenyx.net/), because they have a dice-server and all these
                            list fuctions tailor-made for email gaming. I'll send an email to the
                            people who run it and see if they would be interested in the possibility.

                            Later.
                            Jonathan