New game - Gateway

  • Ben Redmond
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 1, 2008
      Hi folks,

      I just wanted to try and build up a bit of awareness of our new indie
      game, Gateway (http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?
      products_id=56799)

      Here's a bit of info on the game:
      In Gateway your character is defined by a number of Traits (what your
      character is like) and Backgrounds (what things they have done in
      their life, or other ways in which they interact with the world).
      When you make a roll you pick a trait and background that you think
      suit the circumstances and then roll a number of dice (d8s) based on
      how appropriate your trait is, and add your background level. Other
      modifiers (such as equipment bonus) may also apply. This dice roll is
      matched by the GM making a similar roll in opposition to determine
      whether you are successful or not. If you think the odds are in your
      favour you can add raises to the roll, meaning you have to beat the
      GM's roll by a bigger margin the more you add, but can apply
      additional effects to the result. As the traits are defined simply by
      the player, and the Backgrounds defined by the setting, it allows for
      quite a simulationist approch to character creation and development.

      However, that is only the basics of gameplay. Gateway uses the Drama
      Resolution system to structure the development of scenes, allowing
      you to perform any action you can imagine and then describe its
      effects on the other characters, objects or whatever around you in
      game-specific terms. It's a kind of blend of narrativist and gamist
      philosophies, allowing both the freedom to play the tactics of the
      game, whilst providing the freedom to be inventive and narrate the
      action of the scene.

      Hope that maybe helps people get a better idea of what the game might
      be like.

      If you have any questions please ask away.
    • John
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 3, 2008
        PDF Only? :(