Re: [indie-netgaming] Re: Looking for games this summer

  • Jan-Christophe Hoogendoorn
    Message 1 of 22 , Jul 2, 2007
      uh... so, Develop, what is your timezone and what
      games do you know/play?

      cheers!

      JC

      Message 2 of 22 , Jul 3, 2007

        LOL J

        Time zone is -5GMT or Eastern Canada.

        I play or have played almost all of the major rpgs, and am now delving into the indie ones. I am a huge fan of Pulp .45 and G.A.S.L.I.G.H.T. and am willing to learn and play anything.

        “Develop”

        Message 3 of 22 , Jul 3, 2007
          OK, as far as timezones are concerned, we have:
          - John: GMT-7 (because of DST)
          - Develop: GMT-5 (including DST?)
          - Graham: GMT+1 (because of DST)
          - hoog: GMT+2 (because of DST)
          - Filip: GMT+2 (because of DST)

          my next free slot is saturday the 7th of July

          who's available on that day, and what are your
          time constraints?

          as far as games are concerned, here's what people
          know/have:
          - John: Dogs, Polaris
          - Develop: Pulp 45, Gaslight
          - Graham: Roach, Dogs, Contenders
          - hoog: The Mountain Witch, Dogs in the Vineyard,
          The Shab-al-Hiri Roach, Polaris, Cold City,
          Sorcerer, Contenders, Carry
          - Filip: DitV, Capes, Fastlane, Mortal Coil,
          Hero's Banner, Nine Worlds, With Great Power

          as I've mentionned, I'm a beginner, and I don't
          feel capable of explaining or running the games I
          have to someone who's unfamiliar with them

          I tried doing that with my usual bunch of players,
          and it didn't work out too good (and that was face
          to face, where they could read the book
          themselves)

          but that's just me

          maybe (just a random example) Filip feels
          confident he can run/explain Capes to the rest of
          us

          how do you guys feel about this?

          if we do go with playing something everybody has
          or knows, that seems to be DITV

          in that case, Develop: either someone can explain
          the game to you, or you'll have to get yourself a
          copy (PDF?)

          as far as the medium of communication is
          concerned, Filip suggested Skype and Gametable

          I have zero experience with online gaming, so I'll
          happily take your advice, Filip :)

          any other ideas?

          cheers!

          JC

          PS: happy 4th of July to you, John ;)
        • filip_luszczyk
          Message 4 of 22 , Jul 4, 2007
            I'm fine with the Saturday, and I'm rather flexible - although I'd
            prefer (European) late afternoon or evening.

            I'd rather play than run the game, as I'm not confident enough in my
            Engrish to GM ;)

            Capes is GM-less, so there's no problem with running it ;) The rules
            are rather complex, and the best explanation is, I think, the Flash
            demo on the site that shows most of the game in action (otherwise, I'm
            not sure if I can do a good job in explaining everything from scratch
            myself, especially online). Also, the lite version includes the most
            important rules and is free.

            As for the medium, I think Skype works well for small groups - with 2
            players + GM we've been playing comfortably, with 3 players + GM some
            communication problems started to occur (and I have no experience with
            more than 3 players + GM on Skype). If there's more than four of us
            altogether, IRC might be a better choice than voice chat (but then,
            IRC sessions are very slow, so we won't do too much). Either way, the
            size of the group dictates the choice of system to some extent. DitV
            might not work well with more than 3 players + GM. Capes requires at
            least 3 players - but with more than 4 it might be laggish (I've been
            playing in 5-player IRC sessions, and we had roughly one scene per 4-5
            hours of play).

            Best,

            Filip

            --- In indie-netgaming@yahoogroups.com, "Jan-Christophe Hoogendoorn"
            <jan-christophe.hoogendoorn@...> wrote:

            > OK, as far as timezones are concerned, we have:
            > - John: GMT-7 (because of DST)
            > - Develop: GMT-5 (including DST?)
            > - Graham: GMT+1 (because of DST)
            > - hoog: GMT+2 (because of DST)
            > - Filip: GMT+2 (because of DST)
            >
            > my next free slot is saturday the 7th of July
            >
            > who's available on that day, and what are your
            > time constraints?
            >

            > as far as games are concerned, here's what people
            > know/have:
            > - John: Dogs, Polaris
            > - Develop: Pulp 45, Gaslight
            > - Graham: Roach, Dogs, Contenders
            > - hoog: The Mountain Witch, Dogs in the Vineyard,
            > The Shab-al-Hiri Roach, Polaris, Cold City,
            > Sorcerer, Contenders, Carry
            > - Filip: DitV, Capes, Fastlane, Mortal Coil,
            > Hero's Banner, Nine Worlds, With Great Power
            >
            > as I've mentionned, I'm a beginner, and I don't
            > feel capable of explaining or running the games I
            > have to someone who's unfamiliar with them
            >
            > I tried doing that with my usual bunch of players,
            > and it didn't work out too good (and that was face
            > to face, where they could read the book
            > themselves)
            >
            > but that's just me
            >
            > maybe (just a random example) Filip feels
            > confident he can run/explain Capes to the rest of
            > us
            >
            > how do you guys feel about this?
            >
            > if we do go with playing something everybody has
            > or knows, that seems to be DITV
            >
            > in that case, Develop: either someone can explain
            > the game to you, or you'll have to get yourself a
            > copy (PDF?)
            >

            > as far as the medium of communication is
            > concerned, Filip suggested Skype and Gametable
            >
            > I have zero experience with online gaming, so I'll
            > happily take your advice, Filip :)
            >
            > any other ideas?
            >

            > cheers!
            >
            > JC
            >

            > PS: happy 4th of July to you, John ;)

          • develop
            Message 5 of 22 , Jul 4, 2007

              I can be a player or run a game as I have GM’ed for more than 30 years now. J

              Please let me know what day we are aiming for and what time.

              “Develop” aka Chris J

> [...]

              > feel capable of explaining or running the games I
              > have to someone who's unfamiliar with them
              >
              > I tried doing that with my usual bunch of players,
              > and it didn't work out too good (and that was face
              > to face, where they could read the book
              > themselves)
              >
              > but that's just me
              >
              > maybe (just a random example) Filip feels
              > confident he can run/explain Capes to the rest of
              > us
              >
              > how do you guys feel about this?
              >
              > if we do go with playing something everybody has
              > or knows, that seems to be DITV
              >
              > in that case, Develop: either someone can explain
              > the game to you, or you'll have to get yourself a
              > copy (PDF?)
              >

              > as far as the medium of communication is
              > concerned, Filip suggested Skype and Gametable
              >
              > I have zero experience with online gaming, so I'll

            • John
              Message 6 of 22 , Jul 6, 2007
                --- In indie-netgaming@yahoogroups.com, "Jan-Christophe Hoogendoorn"
                <jan-christophe.hoogendoorn@...> wrote:

                > OK, as far as timezones are concerned, we have:
                > - John: GMT-7 (because of DST)

                So... 5pm for me == midnight GMT?

                > my next free slot is saturday the 7th of July
                >
                > who's available on that day, and what are your
                > time constraints?

                I'm available. I'm taking my daughter to the airport in the morning,
                so the absolute earliest for me is 10am my time (5pm GMT). In
                general I'd be free earlier. I'm free until 4pm PDT/11pm GMT,
                preferably a little before that.

                Problem with Saturday is, at least once a month I have a meeting that
                will pull me away. This month that meeting is on the 14th.

                > as far as games are concerned, here's what people
                > know/have:
                > - John: Dogs, Polaris

                I can try running Dogs. I'd prefer to play, though.

                > as I've mentionned, I'm a beginner, and I don't
                > feel capable of explaining or running the games I
                > have to someone who's unfamiliar with them

                I DO have a lot of experience explaining stuff. But it's time
                consuming.

                > as far as the medium of communication is
                > concerned, Filip suggested Skype and Gametable
                >
                > I have zero experience with online gaming, so I'll
                > happily take your advice, Filip :)

                I prefer IRC. I haven't used any voice stuff in years, but I found
                it to be very confusing, so many voices done remotely. I would lose
                track of who was talking.

                I've used IRC for years. It's slow compared to face-to-face, but
                less confusing than faceless voices.

                Good ol' IRC, that's for me.

                John