RE: [indie-netgaming] Re: Looking for games this summer

  • develop
    Message 1 of 22 , Jul 2, 2007

      Ok, cause I just got these email J

      “Develop”

      From: indie-netgaming@yahoogroups.com [mailto:indie-netgaming@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Jan-Christophe HOOGENDOORN
      Sent: Monday, July 02, 2007 9:51 AM
      To: indie-netgaming@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: re: [indie-netgaming] Re: Looking for games this summer

      actually, my questions were meant for "develop" :)

      for timezones, here's a good website: www.worldtimezone.com

      it tells me Poland is normally GMT+1, but that it's GMT+2 at the moment because of DST

      cheers!

      JC

      > Message du 02/07/07 14:01
      > De : "filip_luszczyk"
      > A : indie-netgaming@yahoogroups.com
      > Copie à :
      > Objet : [indie-netgaming] Re: Looking for games this summer
      >
      > I'm in Poland, so that's GMT+2 now (or so I think, timezones usually
      > confuse me).
      >
      > As for the games owned/played before, that's a rather long list ;) Not
      > counting "traditional" stuff, I have the following Forge-ish
      games:

      > -DitV
      > -Capes
      > -Fastlane
      > -Mortal Coil
      > -Hero's Banner
      > -Nine Worlds
      > -With Great Power
      >
      > The last four I haven't played yet. However, I've played a number of
      > other indie games (from your list, only Dogs). This includes some
      > games that are available for free.
      >
      > Probably it will be best if you contact me via IM before the weekend,
      > so that we could discuss the specifics. I should be available online
      > most of the time.
      >
      > Best,
      >
      > Filip
      >
      > --- In indie-netgaming@yahoogroups.com, "Jan-Christophe
      Hoogendoorn"

      Message 2 of 22 , Jul 2, 2007
        uh... so, Develop, what is your timezone and what
        games do you know/play?

        cheers!

        JC

        actually, my questions were meant for "develop" :)

        for timezones, here's a good website:
        www.worldtimezone.com

        it tells me Poland is normally GMT+1, but that
        it's GMT+2 at the moment because of DST

        cheers!

        JC

        > Message du 02/07/07 14:01
        > De : "filip_luszczyk"
        > A : indie-netgaming@yahoogroups.com
        > Copie à :
        > Objet : [indie-netgaming] Re: Looking for games
        this summer

        > I'm in Poland, so that's GMT+2 now (or so I
        think, timezones usually
        > confuse me).
        >
        > As for the games owned/played before, that's a
        rather long list ;) Not
        > counting "traditional" stuff, I have the
        following Forge-ish games:

        > -DitV
        > -Capes
        > -Fastlane
        > -Mortal Coil
        > -Hero's Banner
        > -Nine Worlds
        > -With Great Power
        >
        > The last four I haven't played yet. However,
        I've played a number of
        > other indie games (from your list, only Dogs).
        This includes some
        > games that are available for free.
        >
        > Probably it will be best if you contact me via
        IM before the weekend,
        > so that we could discuss the specifics. I should
        be available online
        > most of the time.
        >
        > Best,
        >
        > Filip
        >
        > --- In indie-netgaming@yahoogroups.com,
        "Jan-Christophe Hoogendoorn"
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > cool :)
        > >
        > > what's your timezone?
        > >
        > > and what games have you got and/or played
        before?

        > > cheers!
        > >
        > > JC

      • develop
        Message 3 of 22 , Jul 3, 2007

          LOL J

          Time zone is -5GMT or Eastern Canada.

          I play or have played almost all of the major rpgs, and am now delving into the indie ones. I am a huge fan of Pulp .45 and G.A.S.L.I.G.H.T. and am willing to learn and play anything.

          “Develop”

          Message 4 of 22 , Jul 3, 2007
            OK, as far as timezones are concerned, we have:
            - John: GMT-7 (because of DST)
            - Develop: GMT-5 (including DST?)
            - Graham: GMT+1 (because of DST)
            - hoog: GMT+2 (because of DST)
            - Filip: GMT+2 (because of DST)

            my next free slot is saturday the 7th of July

            who's available on that day, and what are your
            time constraints?

            as far as games are concerned, here's what people
            know/have:
            - John: Dogs, Polaris
            - Develop: Pulp 45, Gaslight
            - Graham: Roach, Dogs, Contenders
            - hoog: The Mountain Witch, Dogs in the Vineyard,
            The Shab-al-Hiri Roach, Polaris, Cold City,
            Sorcerer, Contenders, Carry
            - Filip: DitV, Capes, Fastlane, Mortal Coil,
            Hero's Banner, Nine Worlds, With Great Power

            as I've mentionned, I'm a beginner, and I don't
            feel capable of explaining or running the games I
            have to someone who's unfamiliar with them

            I tried doing that with my usual bunch of players,
            and it didn't work out too good (and that was face
            to face, where they could read the book
            themselves)

            but that's just me

            maybe (just a random example) Filip feels
            confident he can run/explain Capes to the rest of
            us

            how do you guys feel about this?

            if we do go with playing something everybody has
            or knows, that seems to be DITV

            in that case, Develop: either someone can explain
            the game to you, or you'll have to get yourself a
            copy (PDF?)

            as far as the medium of communication is
            concerned, Filip suggested Skype and Gametable

            I have zero experience with online gaming, so I'll
            happily take your advice, Filip :)

            any other ideas?

            cheers!

            JC

            PS: happy 4th of July to you, John ;)
          • filip_luszczyk
            Message 5 of 22 , Jul 4, 2007
              I'm fine with the Saturday, and I'm rather flexible - although I'd
              prefer (European) late afternoon or evening.

              I'd rather play than run the game, as I'm not confident enough in my
              Engrish to GM ;)

              Capes is GM-less, so there's no problem with running it ;) The rules
              are rather complex, and the best explanation is, I think, the Flash
              demo on the site that shows most of the game in action (otherwise, I'm
              not sure if I can do a good job in explaining everything from scratch
              myself, especially online). Also, the lite version includes the most
              important rules and is free.

              As for the medium, I think Skype works well for small groups - with 2
              players + GM we've been playing comfortably, with 3 players + GM some
              communication problems started to occur (and I have no experience with
              more than 3 players + GM on Skype). If there's more than four of us
              altogether, IRC might be a better choice than voice chat (but then,
              IRC sessions are very slow, so we won't do too much). Either way, the
              size of the group dictates the choice of system to some extent. DitV
              might not work well with more than 3 players + GM. Capes requires at
              least 3 players - but with more than 4 it might be laggish (I've been
              playing in 5-player IRC sessions, and we had roughly one scene per 4-5
              hours of play).

              Message 6 of 22 , Jul 4, 2007

                I can be a player or run a game as I have GM’ed for more than 30 years now. J

                Please let me know what day we are aiming for and what time.

                “Develop” aka Chris J

> [...]

                > feel capable of explaining or running the games I
                > have to someone who's unfamiliar with them
                >
                > I tried doing that with my usual bunch of players,
                > and it didn't work out too good (and that was face
                > to face, where they could read the book
                > themselves)
                >
                > but that's just me
                >
                > maybe (just a random example) Filip feels
                > confident he can run/explain Capes to the rest of
                > us
                >
                > how do you guys feel about this?
                >
                > if we do go with playing something everybody has
                > or knows, that seems to be DITV
                >
                > in that case, Develop: either someone can explain
                > the game to you, or you'll have to get yourself a
                > copy (PDF?)
                >

                > as far as the medium of communication is
                > concerned, Filip suggested Skype and Gametable
                >
                > I have zero experience with online gaming, so I'll

              • John
                Message 7 of 22 , Jul 6, 2007
                  --- In indie-netgaming@yahoogroups.com, "Jan-Christophe Hoogendoorn"
                  <jan-christophe.hoogendoorn@...> wrote:

                  > OK, as far as timezones are concerned, we have:
                  > - John: GMT-7 (because of DST)

                  So... 5pm for me == midnight GMT?

                  > my next free slot is saturday the 7th of July
                  >
                  > who's available on that day, and what are your
                  > time constraints?

                  I'm available. I'm taking my daughter to the airport in the morning,
                  so the absolute earliest for me is 10am my time (5pm GMT). In
                  general I'd be free earlier. I'm free until 4pm PDT/11pm GMT,
                  preferably a little before that.

                  Problem with Saturday is, at least once a month I have a meeting that
                  will pull me away. This month that meeting is on the 14th.

                  > as far as games are concerned, here's what people
                  > know/have:
                  > - John: Dogs, Polaris

                  I can try running Dogs. I'd prefer to play, though.

                  > as I've mentionned, I'm a beginner, and I don't
                  > feel capable of explaining or running the games I
                  > have to someone who's unfamiliar with them

                  I DO have a lot of experience explaining stuff. But it's time
                  consuming.

                  > as far as the medium of communication is
                  > concerned, Filip suggested Skype and Gametable
                  >
                  > I have zero experience with online gaming, so I'll
                  > happily take your advice, Filip :)

                  I prefer IRC. I haven't used any voice stuff in years, but I found
                  it to be very confusing, so many voices done remotely. I would lose
                  track of who was talking.

                  I've used IRC for years. It's slow compared to face-to-face, but
                  less confusing than faceless voices.

                  Good ol' IRC, that's for me.

                  John