Re: Looking for games this summer

  • John
    Message 1 of 22 , Jul 1, 2007
      --- In indie-netgaming@yahoogroups.com, "Jan-Christophe Hoogendoorn"
      <jan-christophe.hoogendoorn@...> wrote:

      > well, Saturday 6PM-2AM for me = Saturday 10AM-6PM
      > for you
      >

      > JC

      doable, though I'd miss about one out of every three weeks, and would
      have to stop by 4pm Pacific.

      Hey, if I'm on daylight savings time, does that affect the time
      difference between here and GMT?

      LT
    • Jan-Christophe Hoogendoorn
      Message 2 of 22 , Jul 1, 2007
        cool :)

        what's your timezone?

        and what games have you got and/or played before?

        cheers!

        JC

        Message 3 of 22 , Jul 1, 2007
          I could do this! If you don't mind playing with a Brit.

          Any of those games sound interesting. The ones I'm familiar with are Roach, Dogs and Contenders.

          Graham

          Graham

          On 6/30/07, jchoogendoorn <jan-christophe.hoogendoorn@...> wrote:

          hi :)

          new guy here :)

          I'd like to play some nar games online this summer

          I got a bunch of them, but my regular crew aren't interested, and
          finding people to play them with this summer here in Paris is proving
          nigh impossible

          I'm very new to nar, but I'm interested, and I'd like to learn as
          much as I can during July-August

          these are the games I have, and am most interested in, but I'll play
          just about anything, as long as it teaches me something about nar :
          - The Mountain Witch
          - Dogs in the Vineyard
          - The Shab-al-Hiri Roach
          - Polaris
          - Cold City
          - Sorcerer
          - Contenders
          - Carry (currently on its way)

          as I said, I'm in Paris

          I also have regular working hours

          so I guess that means games would either have to be weekdays
          during "GMT evening", or weekends "GMT anytime"

          anybody up for it?

          cheers!

          JC

        • Jan-Christophe Hoogendoorn
          Message 4 of 22 , Jul 1, 2007
            mind playing with a Brit?

            au contraire ;)

            I imagine your timezone is currently GMT+1
            (normally GMT+0, but currently GMT+1 because of
            DST)

            cheers!

            JC

            > I could do this! If you don't mind playing with
            a Brit.

            > Any of those games sound interesting. The ones
            I'm familiar with are Roach,
            > Dogs and Contenders.
            >
            > Graham
            >
            > Graham
            >
            > On 6/30/07, jchoogendoorn
            <jan-christophe.hoogendoorn@...> wrote:

            > > hi :)
            > >
            > > new guy here :)
            > >
            > > I'd like to play some nar games online this
            summer

            > > I got a bunch of them, but my regular crew
            aren't interested, and
            > > finding people to play them with this summer
            here in Paris is proving
            > > nigh impossible
            > >
            > > I'm very new to nar, but I'm interested, and
            I'd like to learn as
            > > much as I can during July-August
            > >
            > > these are the games I have, and am most
            interested in, but I'll play
            > > just about anything, as long as it teaches me
            something about nar :
            > > - The Mountain Witch
            > > - Dogs in the Vineyard
            > > - The Shab-al-Hiri Roach
            > > - Polaris
            > > - Cold City
            > > - Sorcerer
            > > - Contenders
            > > - Carry (currently on its way)
            > >
            > > as I said, I'm in Paris
            > >
            > > I also have regular working hours
            > >
            > > so I guess that means games would either have
            to be weekdays
            > > during "GMT evening", or weekends "GMT
            anytime"

            > > anybody up for it?
            > >
            > > cheers!
            > >
            > > JC

          • filip_luszczyk
            Message 5 of 22 , Jul 2, 2007
              I'm in Poland, so that's GMT+2 now (or so I think, timezones usually
              confuse me).

              As for the games owned/played before, that's a rather long list ;) Not
              counting "traditional" stuff, I have the following Forge-ish games:

              -DitV
              -Capes
              -Fastlane
              -Mortal Coil
              -Hero's Banner
              -Nine Worlds
              -With Great Power

              The last four I haven't played yet. However, I've played a number of
              other indie games (from your list, only Dogs). This includes some
              games that are available for free.

              Probably it will be best if you contact me via IM before the weekend,
              so that we could discuss the specifics. I should be available online
              most of the time.

              Best,

              Filip

              Message 6 of 22 , Jul 2, 2007
                actually, my questions were meant for "develop" :)

                for timezones, here's a good website: www.worldtimezone.com

                it tells me Poland is normally GMT+1, but that it's GMT+2 at the moment because of DST

                cheers!

                JC

              • develop
                Message 7 of 22 , Jul 2, 2007

                  Ok, cause I just got these email J

                  “Develop”

                  Message 8 of 22 , Jul 2, 2007
                    uh... so, Develop, what is your timezone and what
                    games do you know/play?

                    cheers!

                    JC

                    actually, my questions were meant for "develop" :)

                    for timezones, here's a good website:
                    www.worldtimezone.com

                    it tells me Poland is normally GMT+1, but that
                    it's GMT+2 at the moment because of DST

                    cheers!

                    JC

                    > Message du 02/07/07 14:01
                    > De : "filip_luszczyk"
                    > A : indie-netgaming@yahoogroups.com
                    > Copie à :
                    > Objet : [indie-netgaming] Re: Looking for games
                    this summer

                    > I'm in Poland, so that's GMT+2 now (or so I
                    think, timezones usually
                    > confuse me).
                    >
                    > As for the games owned/played before, that's a
                    rather long list ;) Not
                    > counting "traditional" stuff, I have the
                    following Forge-ish games:

                    > -DitV
                    > -Capes
                    > -Fastlane
                    > -Mortal Coil
                    > -Hero's Banner
                    > -Nine Worlds
                    > -With Great Power
                    >
                    > The last four I haven't played yet. However,
                    I've played a number of
                    > other indie games (from your list, only Dogs).
                    This includes some
                    > games that are available for free.
                    >
                    > Probably it will be best if you contact me via
                    IM before the weekend,
                    > so that we could discuss the specifics. I should
                    be available online
                    > most of the time.
                    >
                    > Best,
                    >
                    > Filip
                    >
                    > --- In indie-netgaming@yahoogroups.com,
                    "Jan-Christophe Hoogendoorn"
                    > wrote:
                    > >
                    > > cool :)
                    > >
                    > > what's your timezone?
                    > >
                    > > and what games have you got and/or played
                    before?

                    > > cheers!
                    > >
                    > > JC

                  • develop
                    Message 9 of 22 , Jul 3, 2007

                      LOL J

                      Time zone is -5GMT or Eastern Canada.

                      I play or have played almost all of the major rpgs, and am now delving into the indie ones. I am a huge fan of Pulp .45 and G.A.S.L.I.G.H.T. and am willing to learn and play anything.

                      “Develop”

                      Message 10 of 22 , Jul 3, 2007
                        OK, as far as timezones are concerned, we have:
                        - John: GMT-7 (because of DST)
                        - Develop: GMT-5 (including DST?)
                        - Graham: GMT+1 (because of DST)
                        - hoog: GMT+2 (because of DST)
                        - Filip: GMT+2 (because of DST)

                        my next free slot is saturday the 7th of July

                        who's available on that day, and what are your
                        time constraints?

                        as far as games are concerned, here's what people
                        know/have:
                        - John: Dogs, Polaris
                        - Develop: Pulp 45, Gaslight
                        - Graham: Roach, Dogs, Contenders
                        - hoog: The Mountain Witch, Dogs in the Vineyard,
                        The Shab-al-Hiri Roach, Polaris, Cold City,
                        Sorcerer, Contenders, Carry
                        - Filip: DitV, Capes, Fastlane, Mortal Coil,
                        Hero's Banner, Nine Worlds, With Great Power

                        as I've mentionned, I'm a beginner, and I don't
                        feel capable of explaining or running the games I
                        have to someone who's unfamiliar with them

                        I tried doing that with my usual bunch of players,
                        and it didn't work out too good (and that was face
                        to face, where they could read the book
                        themselves)

                        but that's just me

                        maybe (just a random example) Filip feels
                        confident he can run/explain Capes to the rest of
                        us

                        how do you guys feel about this?

                        if we do go with playing something everybody has
                        or knows, that seems to be DITV

                        in that case, Develop: either someone can explain
                        the game to you, or you'll have to get yourself a
                        copy (PDF?)

                        as far as the medium of communication is
                        concerned, Filip suggested Skype and Gametable

                        I have zero experience with online gaming, so I'll
                        happily take your advice, Filip :)

                        any other ideas?

                        cheers!

                        JC

                        PS: happy 4th of July to you, John ;)
                      • filip_luszczyk
                        Message 11 of 22 , Jul 4, 2007
                          I'm fine with the Saturday, and I'm rather flexible - although I'd
                          prefer (European) late afternoon or evening.

                          I'd rather play than run the game, as I'm not confident enough in my
                          Engrish to GM ;)

                          Capes is GM-less, so there's no problem with running it ;) The rules
                          are rather complex, and the best explanation is, I think, the Flash
                          demo on the site that shows most of the game in action (otherwise, I'm
                          not sure if I can do a good job in explaining everything from scratch
                          myself, especially online). Also, the lite version includes the most
                          important rules and is free.

                          As for the medium, I think Skype works well for small groups - with 2
                          players + GM we've been playing comfortably, with 3 players + GM some
                          communication problems started to occur (and I have no experience with
                          more than 3 players + GM on Skype). If there's more than four of us
                          altogether, IRC might be a better choice than voice chat (but then,
                          IRC sessions are very slow, so we won't do too much). Either way, the
                          size of the group dictates the choice of system to some extent. DitV
                          might not work well with more than 3 players + GM. Capes requires at
                          least 3 players - but with more than 4 it might be laggish (I've been
                          playing in 5-player IRC sessions, and we had roughly one scene per 4-5
                          hours of play).

                          Best,

                          Filip

                          Message 12 of 22 , Jul 4, 2007

                            I can be a player or run a game as I have GM’ed for more than 30 years now. J

                            Please let me know what day we are aiming for and what time.

                            “Develop” aka Chris J

                            Message 13 of 22 , Jul 6, 2007
                              --- In indie-netgaming@yahoogroups.com, "Jan-Christophe Hoogendoorn"
                              <jan-christophe.hoogendoorn@...> wrote:

                              > OK, as far as timezones are concerned, we have:
                              > - John: GMT-7 (because of DST)

                              So... 5pm for me == midnight GMT?

                              > my next free slot is saturday the 7th of July
                              >
                              > who's available on that day, and what are your
                              > time constraints?

                              I'm available. I'm taking my daughter to the airport in the morning,
                              so the absolute earliest for me is 10am my time (5pm GMT). In
                              general I'd be free earlier. I'm free until 4pm PDT/11pm GMT,
                              preferably a little before that.

                              Problem with Saturday is, at least once a month I have a meeting that
                              will pull me away. This month that meeting is on the 14th.

                              > as far as games are concerned, here's what people
                              > know/have:
                              > - John: Dogs, Polaris

                              I can try running Dogs. I'd prefer to play, though.

                              > as I've mentionned, I'm a beginner, and I don't
                              > feel capable of explaining or running the games I
                              > have to someone who's unfamiliar with them

                              I DO have a lot of experience explaining stuff. But it's time
                              consuming.

                              > as far as the medium of communication is
                              > concerned, Filip suggested Skype and Gametable
                              >
                              > I have zero experience with online gaming, so I'll
                              > happily take your advice, Filip :)

                              I prefer IRC. I haven't used any voice stuff in years, but I found
                              it to be very confusing, so many voices done remotely. I would lose
                              track of who was talking.

                              I've used IRC for years. It's slow compared to face-to-face, but
                              less confusing than faceless voices.

                              Good ol' IRC, that's for me.

                              John