RE: [indie-netgaming] Re: Looking for games this summer

  • develop
    Message 1 of 22 , Jul 1 8:26 AM

      I would like to play in any online game going on, please count me in. J

      Message 2 of 22 , Jul 1 10:24 AM
        --- In indie-netgaming@yahoogroups.com, "Jan-Christophe Hoogendoorn"
        <jan-christophe.hoogendoorn@...> wrote:

        > well, Saturday 6PM-2AM for me = Saturday 10AM-6PM
        > for you
        >

        > JC

        doable, though I'd miss about one out of every three weeks, and would
        have to stop by 4pm Pacific.

        Hey, if I'm on daylight savings time, does that affect the time
        difference between here and GMT?

        LT
      • Jan-Christophe Hoogendoorn
        Message 3 of 22 , Jul 1 11:13 AM
          cool :)

          what's your timezone?

          and what games have you got and/or played before?

          cheers!

          JC

          > I would like to play in any online game going
          on, please count me in. J

          Behalf Of filip_luszczyk
          > Sent: Sunday, July 01, 2007 8:35 AM
          > To: indie-netgaming@yahoogroups.com
          > Subject: [indie-netgaming] Re: Looking for games
          this summer

          > Hello ;)
          >
          > I function on GMT+2, and I suppose I can find
          additional time for
          > gaming this summer, so we could arrange some
          sessions. I prefer
          > playing via Skype, if language is not a problem
          for you.

          > Out of the games you mention I have only Dogs,
          but I'd try The
          > Mountain Whitch or Polaris.
          >
          > My ICQ number is 431209293, if you want to
          contact me.

          > > > --- In indie-netgaming@yahoogroups.com
          > <mailto:indie-netgaming%40yahoogroups.com> ,

          this
          > > summer

        • Graham Walmsley
          Message 4 of 22 , Jul 1 12:13 PM
            I could do this! If you don't mind playing with a Brit.

            Any of those games sound interesting. The ones I'm familiar with are Roach, Dogs and Contenders.

            Graham

            Graham

            On 6/30/07, jchoogendoorn <jan-christophe.hoogendoorn@...> wrote:

            hi :)

            new guy here :)

            I'd like to play some nar games online this summer

            I got a bunch of them, but my regular crew aren't interested, and
            finding people to play them with this summer here in Paris is proving
            nigh impossible

            I'm very new to nar, but I'm interested, and I'd like to learn as
            much as I can during July-August

            these are the games I have, and am most interested in, but I'll play
            just about anything, as long as it teaches me something about nar :
            - The Mountain Witch
            - Dogs in the Vineyard
            - The Shab-al-Hiri Roach
            - Polaris
            - Cold City
            - Sorcerer
            - Contenders
            - Carry (currently on its way)

            as I said, I'm in Paris

            I also have regular working hours

            so I guess that means games would either have to be weekdays
            during "GMT evening", or weekends "GMT anytime"

            anybody up for it?

            cheers!

            JC

          • Jan-Christophe Hoogendoorn
            Message 5 of 22 , Jul 1 12:31 PM
              mind playing with a Brit?

              au contraire ;)

              I imagine your timezone is currently GMT+1
              (normally GMT+0, but currently GMT+1 because of
              DST)

              cheers!

              JC

              > I could do this! If you don't mind playing with
              a Brit.

              > Any of those games sound interesting. The ones
              I'm familiar with are Roach,
              > Dogs and Contenders.
              >
              > Graham
              >
              > Graham
              >
              > On 6/30/07, jchoogendoorn
              <jan-christophe.hoogendoorn@...> wrote:

              > > hi :)
              > >
              > > new guy here :)
              > >
              > > I'd like to play some nar games online this
              summer

              > > I got a bunch of them, but my regular crew
              aren't interested, and
              > > finding people to play them with this summer
              here in Paris is proving
              > > nigh impossible
              > >
              > > I'm very new to nar, but I'm interested, and
              I'd like to learn as
              > > much as I can during July-August
              > >
              > > these are the games I have, and am most
              interested in, but I'll play
              > > just about anything, as long as it teaches me
              something about nar :
              > > - The Mountain Witch
              > > - Dogs in the Vineyard
              > > - The Shab-al-Hiri Roach
              > > - Polaris
              > > - Cold City
              > > - Sorcerer
              > > - Contenders
              > > - Carry (currently on its way)
              > >
              > > as I said, I'm in Paris
              > >
              > > I also have regular working hours
              > >
              > > so I guess that means games would either have
              to be weekdays
              > > during "GMT evening", or weekends "GMT
              anytime"

              > > anybody up for it?
              > >
              > > cheers!
              > >
              > > JC

            • filip_luszczyk
              Message 6 of 22 , Jul 2 5:01 AM
                I'm in Poland, so that's GMT+2 now (or so I think, timezones usually
                confuse me).

                As for the games owned/played before, that's a rather long list ;) Not
                counting "traditional" stuff, I have the following Forge-ish games:

                -DitV
                -Capes
                -Fastlane
                -Mortal Coil
                -Hero's Banner
                -Nine Worlds
                -With Great Power

                The last four I haven't played yet. However, I've played a number of
                other indie games (from your list, only Dogs). This includes some
                games that are available for free.

                Probably it will be best if you contact me via IM before the weekend,
                so that we could discuss the specifics. I should be available online
                most of the time.

                Best,

                Filip

                Message 7 of 22 , Jul 2 6:50 AM
                  actually, my questions were meant for "develop" :)

                  for timezones, here's a good website: www.worldtimezone.com

                  it tells me Poland is normally GMT+1, but that it's GMT+2 at the moment because of DST

                  cheers!

                  JC

                • develop
                  Message 8 of 22 , Jul 2 10:22 AM

                    Ok, cause I just got these email J

                    “Develop”

                    Message 9 of 22 , Jul 2 11:44 PM
                      uh... so, Develop, what is your timezone and what
                      games do you know/play?

                      cheers!

                      JC

                      actually, my questions were meant for "develop" :)

                      for timezones, here's a good website:
                      www.worldtimezone.com

                      it tells me Poland is normally GMT+1, but that
                      it's GMT+2 at the moment because of DST

                      cheers!

                      JC

                      > Message du 02/07/07 14:01
                      > De : "filip_luszczyk"
                      > A : indie-netgaming@yahoogroups.com
                      > Copie à :
                      > Objet : [indie-netgaming] Re: Looking for games
                      this summer

                      > I'm in Poland, so that's GMT+2 now (or so I
                      think, timezones usually
                      > confuse me).
                      >
                      > As for the games owned/played before, that's a
                      rather long list ;) Not
                      > counting "traditional" stuff, I have the
                      following Forge-ish games:

                      > -DitV
                      > -Capes
                      > -Fastlane
                      > -Mortal Coil
                      > -Hero's Banner
                      > -Nine Worlds
                      > -With Great Power
                      >
                      > The last four I haven't played yet. However,
                      I've played a number of
                      > other indie games (from your list, only Dogs).
                      This includes some
                      > games that are available for free.
                      >
                      > Probably it will be best if you contact me via
                      IM before the weekend,
                      > so that we could discuss the specifics. I should
                      be available online
                      > most of the time.
                      >
                      > Best,
                      >
                      > Filip
                      >
                      > --- In indie-netgaming@yahoogroups.com,
                      "Jan-Christophe Hoogendoorn"
                      > wrote:
                      > >
                      > > cool :)
                      > >
                      > > what's your timezone?
                      > >
                      > > and what games have you got and/or played
                      before?

                      > > cheers!
                      > >
                      > > JC

                    • develop
                      Message 10 of 22 , Jul 3 7:53 AM

                        LOL J

                        Time zone is -5GMT or Eastern Canada.

                        I play or have played almost all of the major rpgs, and am now delving into the indie ones. I am a huge fan of Pulp .45 and G.A.S.L.I.G.H.T. and am willing to learn and play anything.

                        “Develop”

                        Message 11 of 22 , Jul 3 4:04 PM
                          OK, as far as timezones are concerned, we have:
                          - John: GMT-7 (because of DST)
                          - Develop: GMT-5 (including DST?)
                          - Graham: GMT+1 (because of DST)
                          - hoog: GMT+2 (because of DST)
                          - Filip: GMT+2 (because of DST)

                          my next free slot is saturday the 7th of July

                          who's available on that day, and what are your
                          time constraints?

                          as far as games are concerned, here's what people
                          know/have:
                          - John: Dogs, Polaris
                          - Develop: Pulp 45, Gaslight
                          - Graham: Roach, Dogs, Contenders
                          - hoog: The Mountain Witch, Dogs in the Vineyard,
                          The Shab-al-Hiri Roach, Polaris, Cold City,
                          Sorcerer, Contenders, Carry
                          - Filip: DitV, Capes, Fastlane, Mortal Coil,
                          Hero's Banner, Nine Worlds, With Great Power

                          as I've mentionned, I'm a beginner, and I don't
                          feel capable of explaining or running the games I
                          have to someone who's unfamiliar with them

                          I tried doing that with my usual bunch of players,
                          and it didn't work out too good (and that was face
                          to face, where they could read the book
                          themselves)

                          but that's just me

                          maybe (just a random example) Filip feels
                          confident he can run/explain Capes to the rest of
                          us

                          how do you guys feel about this?

                          if we do go with playing something everybody has
                          or knows, that seems to be DITV

                          in that case, Develop: either someone can explain
                          the game to you, or you'll have to get yourself a
                          copy (PDF?)

                          as far as the medium of communication is
                          concerned, Filip suggested Skype and Gametable

                          I have zero experience with online gaming, so I'll
                          happily take your advice, Filip :)

                          any other ideas?

                          cheers!

                          JC

                          PS: happy 4th of July to you, John ;)
                        • filip_luszczyk
                          Message 12 of 22 , Jul 4 8:51 AM
                            I'm fine with the Saturday, and I'm rather flexible - although I'd
                            prefer (European) late afternoon or evening.

                            I'd rather play than run the game, as I'm not confident enough in my
                            Engrish to GM ;)

                            Capes is GM-less, so there's no problem with running it ;) The rules
                            are rather complex, and the best explanation is, I think, the Flash
                            demo on the site that shows most of the game in action (otherwise, I'm
                            not sure if I can do a good job in explaining everything from scratch
                            myself, especially online). Also, the lite version includes the most
                            important rules and is free.

                            As for the medium, I think Skype works well for small groups - with 2
                            players + GM we've been playing comfortably, with 3 players + GM some
                            communication problems started to occur (and I have no experience with
                            more than 3 players + GM on Skype). If there's more than four of us
                            altogether, IRC might be a better choice than voice chat (but then,
                            IRC sessions are very slow, so we won't do too much). Either way, the
                            size of the group dictates the choice of system to some extent. DitV
                            might not work well with more than 3 players + GM. Capes requires at
                            least 3 players - but with more than 4 it might be laggish (I've been
                            playing in 5-player IRC sessions, and we had roughly one scene per 4-5
                            hours of play).

                            Best,

                            Filip

                            Message 13 of 22 , Jul 4 5:00 PM

                              I can be a player or run a game as I have GM’ed for more than 30 years now. J

                              Please let me know what day we are aiming for and what time.

                              “Develop” aka Chris J

> [...]

                              > feel capable of explaining or running the games I
                              > have to someone who's unfamiliar with them
                              >
                              > I tried doing that with my usual bunch of players,
                              > and it didn't work out too good (and that was face
                              > to face, where they could read the book
                              > themselves)
                              >
                              > but that's just me
                              >
                              > maybe (just a random example) Filip feels
                              > confident he can run/explain Capes to the rest of
                              > us
                              >
                              > how do you guys feel about this?
                              >
                              > if we do go with playing something everybody has
                              > or knows, that seems to be DITV
                              >
                              > in that case, Develop: either someone can explain
                              > the game to you, or you'll have to get yourself a
                              > copy (PDF?)
                              >

                              > as far as the medium of communication is
                              > concerned, Filip suggested Skype and Gametable
                              >
                              > I have zero experience with online gaming, so I'll

                            • John
                              Message 14 of 22 , Jul 6 10:14 AM
                                --- In indie-netgaming@yahoogroups.com, "Jan-Christophe Hoogendoorn"
                                <jan-christophe.hoogendoorn@...> wrote:

                                > OK, as far as timezones are concerned, we have:
                                > - John: GMT-7 (because of DST)

                                So... 5pm for me == midnight GMT?

                                > my next free slot is saturday the 7th of July
                                >
                                > who's available on that day, and what are your
                                > time constraints?

                                I'm available. I'm taking my daughter to the airport in the morning,
                                so the absolute earliest for me is 10am my time (5pm GMT). In
                                general I'd be free earlier. I'm free until 4pm PDT/11pm GMT,
                                preferably a little before that.

                                Problem with Saturday is, at least once a month I have a meeting that
                                will pull me away. This month that meeting is on the 14th.

                                > as far as games are concerned, here's what people
                                > know/have:
                                > - John: Dogs, Polaris

                                I can try running Dogs. I'd prefer to play, though.

                                > as I've mentionned, I'm a beginner, and I don't
                                > feel capable of explaining or running the games I
                                > have to someone who's unfamiliar with them

                                I DO have a lot of experience explaining stuff. But it's time
                                consuming.

                                > as far as the medium of communication is
                                > concerned, Filip suggested Skype and Gametable
                                >
                                > I have zero experience with online gaming, so I'll
                                > happily take your advice, Filip :)

                                I prefer IRC. I haven't used any voice stuff in years, but I found
                                it to be very confusing, so many voices done remotely. I would lose
                                track of who was talking.

                                I've used IRC for years. It's slow compared to face-to-face, but
                                less confusing than faceless voices.

                                Good ol' IRC, that's for me.

                                John