Re: [indie-netgaming] Re: Looking for games this summer

  • Jan-Christophe Hoogendoorn
    Message 1 of 22 , Jul 1, 2007
      well, Saturday 6PM-2AM for me = Saturday 10AM-6PM
      for you

      JC

      Message 2 of 22 , Jul 1, 2007
        There is some guys playing at monday nights, GMT (I were supposed to play
        with them, but it never happened). Talk to Mesarech in #indierpgs.

        Martin

        >From: "jchoogendoorn" <jan-christophe.hoogendoorn@...>
        >To: indie-netgaming@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: [indie-netgaming] Looking for games this summer
        >Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2007 22:36:11 -0000
        >
        >hi :)
        >

        >new guy here :)
        >
        >I'd like to play some nar games online this summer
        >
        >I got a bunch of them, but my regular crew aren't interested, and
        >finding people to play them with this summer here in Paris is proving
        >nigh impossible
        >
        >I'm very new to nar, but I'm interested, and I'd like to learn as
        >much as I can during July-August
        >
        >these are the games I have, and am most interested in, but I'll play
        >just about anything, as long as it teaches me something about nar :
        >- The Mountain Witch
        >- Dogs in the Vineyard
        >- The Shab-al-Hiri Roach
        >- Polaris
        >- Cold City
        >- Sorcerer
        >- Contenders
        >- Carry (currently on its way)
        >
        >as I said, I'm in Paris
        >
        >I also have regular working hours
        >
        >so I guess that means games would either have to be weekdays
        >during "GMT evening", or weekends "GMT anytime"
        >
        >anybody up for it?
        >

        >cheers!
        >
        >JC

        Kolla in coola trailern till Die Hard 4
        http://specials.se.msn.com/diehard4/default.aspx
      • Jan-Christophe Hoogendoorn
        Message 3 of 22 , Jul 1, 2007
          GMT, you say... why, that's wonderful!

          thanks, Martin ;)

          cheers!

          JC

          > There is some guys playing at monday nights, GMT
          (I were supposed to play
          > with them, but it never happened). Talk to
          Mesarech in #indierpgs.

          > Martin
          >

          > >From: "jchoogendoorn"
          <jan-christophe.hoogendoorn@...>
          > >To: indie-netgaming@yahoogroups.com
          > >Subject: [indie-netgaming] Looking for games
          this summer
          > >Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2007 22:36:11 -0000
          > >
          > >hi :)
          > >

          > >new guy here :)
          > >
          > >I'd like to play some nar games online this
          summer

          > >I got a bunch of them, but my regular crew
          aren't interested, and
          > >finding people to play them with this summer
          here in Paris is proving
          > >nigh impossible
          > >
          > >I'm very new to nar, but I'm interested, and
          I'd like to learn as
          > >much as I can during July-August
          > >
          > >these are the games I have, and am most
          interested in, but I'll play
          > >just about anything, as long as it teaches me
          something about nar :
          > >- The Mountain Witch
          > >- Dogs in the Vineyard
          > >- The Shab-al-Hiri Roach
          > >- Polaris
          > >- Cold City
          > >- Sorcerer
          > >- Contenders
          > >- Carry (currently on its way)
          > >
          > >as I said, I'm in Paris
          > >
          > >I also have regular working hours
          > >
          > >so I guess that means games would either have
          to be weekdays
          > >during "GMT evening", or weekends "GMT anytime"
          > >
          > >anybody up for it?
          > >

          > >cheers!
          > >
          > >JC

          > (Yahoo! ID required)

          mailto:indie-netgaming-digest@yahoogroups.com

          mailto:indie-netgaming-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

        • filip_luszczyk
          Message 4 of 22 , Jul 1, 2007
            Hello ;)

            I function on GMT+2, and I suppose I can find additional time for
            gaming this summer, so we could arrange some sessions. I prefer
            playing via Skype, if language is not a problem for you.

            Out of the games you mention I have only Dogs, but I'd try The
            Mountain Whitch or Polaris.

            My ICQ number is 431209293, if you want to contact me.

            Message 5 of 22 , Jul 1, 2007
              cool :)

              language should be OK

              I haven't got Skype though: how much of a hassle
              is it to get/buy/install/operate?

              as far as the games are concerned, in this
              particular case (playing online, with me a
              beginner), I'm not sure it's a good idea to play
              something not all the participants have read or
              played before

              so that would probably mean we go for DITV...
              which is cool :)

              I ditched ICQ for MSN some time ago, but I'll set
              a new account up if necessary

              so... if John and yourself are free, I guess we
              could start planning something for saturday the
              7th of July

              cheers!

              JC

              Message 6 of 22 , Jul 1, 2007
                > I haven't got Skype though: how much of a hassle
                > is it to get/buy/install/operate?

                It's free, and it can be downloaded from http://www.skype.com You need
                a microphone, obviously, but other than that it's rather simple. Skype
                is the only option for voice communication I have on linux anyway, at
                least if other people use Windows. In my online games, I'm also using
                Gametable (http://gametable.galactanet.com/) for dice and stuff, also
                free. Basically the only thing such sessions lack is face to face
                contact ;)

                > as far as the games are concerned, in this
                > particular case (playing online, with me a
                > beginner), I'm not sure it's a good idea to play
                > something not all the participants have read or
                > played before
                >
                > so that would probably mean we go for DITV...
                > which is cool :)

                Cool ;)

                > I ditched ICQ for MSN some time ago, but I'll set
                > a new account up if necessary

                Ok, I've found some old, hardly ever used MSN account of mine and
                enabled it ;)

                So, you can contact me via MSN on dumdidum333@... (don't ask...)

                > so... if John and yourself are free, I guess we
                > could start planning something for saturday the
                > 7th of July

                Yeah, saturday should be fine - one of the players from my regular
                group is on a convention this weekend, so I'm free.
              • develop
                Message 7 of 22 , Jul 1, 2007

                  I would like to play in any online game going on, please count me in. J

                  I function on GMT+2, and I suppose I can find additional time for
                  gaming this summer, so we could arrange some sessions. I prefer
                  playing via Skype, if language is not a problem for you.

                  Out of the games you mention I have only Dogs, but I'd try The
                  Mountain Whitch or Polaris.

                  My ICQ number is 431209293, if you want to contact me.

                  > > --- In indie-netgaming@yahoogroups.com,
                  > "jchoogendoorn"
                  > > <jan-christophe.hoogendoorn@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > hi :)
                  > > >

                  > > > new guy here :)
                  > > >
                  > > > I'd like to play some nar games online this
                  > summer

                • John
                  Message 8 of 22 , Jul 1, 2007
                    --- In indie-netgaming@yahoogroups.com, "Jan-Christophe Hoogendoorn"
                    <jan-christophe.hoogendoorn@...> wrote:

                    > well, Saturday 6PM-2AM for me = Saturday 10AM-6PM
                    > for you
                    >

                    > JC

                    doable, though I'd miss about one out of every three weeks, and would
                    have to stop by 4pm Pacific.

                    Hey, if I'm on daylight savings time, does that affect the time
                    difference between here and GMT?

                    LT
                  • Jan-Christophe Hoogendoorn
                    Message 9 of 22 , Jul 1, 2007
                      cool :)

                      what's your timezone?

                      and what games have you got and/or played before?

                      cheers!

                      JC

                      > I would like to play in any online game going
                      on, please count me in. J

                      Behalf Of filip_luszczyk
                      > Sent: Sunday, July 01, 2007 8:35 AM
                      > To: indie-netgaming@yahoogroups.com
                      > Subject: [indie-netgaming] Re: Looking for games
                      this summer

                      > Hello ;)
                      >
                      > I function on GMT+2, and I suppose I can find
                      additional time for
                      > gaming this summer, so we could arrange some
                      sessions. I prefer
                      > playing via Skype, if language is not a problem
                      for you.

                      > Out of the games you mention I have only Dogs,
                      but I'd try The
                      > Mountain Whitch or Polaris.
                      >
                      > My ICQ number is 431209293, if you want to
                      contact me.

                      > > > --- In indie-netgaming@yahoogroups.com
                      > <mailto:indie-netgaming%40yahoogroups.com> ,

                      > > summer

                    • Graham Walmsley

                        Message 11 of 22 , Jul 1, 2007
                          mind playing with a Brit?

                          au contraire ;)

                          I imagine your timezone is currently GMT+1
                          (normally GMT+0, but currently GMT+1 because of
                          DST)

                          cheers!

                          JC

                          > I could do this! If you don't mind playing with
                          a Brit.

                          > Any of those games sound interesting. The ones
                          I'm familiar with are Roach,
                          > Dogs and Contenders.
                          >
                          > Graham
                          >
                          > Graham
                          >
                          > On 6/30/07, jchoogendoorn
                          <jan-christophe.hoogendoorn@...> wrote:

                          > > hi :)
                          > >
                          > > new guy here :)
                          > >
                          > > I'd like to play some nar games online this
                          summer

                          > > I got a bunch of them, but my regular crew
                          aren't interested, and
                          > > finding people to play them with this summer
                          here in Paris is proving
                          > > nigh impossible
                          > >
                          > > I'm very new to nar, but I'm interested, and
                          I'd like to learn as
                          > > much as I can during July-August
                          > >
                          > > these are the games I have, and am most
                          interested in, but I'll play
                          > > just about anything, as long as it teaches me
                          something about nar :
                          > > - The Mountain Witch
                          > > - Dogs in the Vineyard
                          > > - The Shab-al-Hiri Roach
                          > > - Polaris
                          > > - Cold City
                          > > - Sorcerer
                          > > - Contenders
                          > > - Carry (currently on its way)
                          > >
                          > > as I said, I'm in Paris
                          > >
                          > > I also have regular working hours
                          > >
                          > > so I guess that means games would either have
                          to be weekdays
                          > > during "GMT evening", or weekends "GMT
                          anytime"

                          > > anybody up for it?
                          > >
                          > > cheers!
                          > >
                          > > JC

                        • filip_luszczyk
                          Message 12 of 22 , Jul 2, 2007
                            I'm in Poland, so that's GMT+2 now (or so I think, timezones usually
                            confuse me).

                            As for the games owned/played before, that's a rather long list ;) Not
                            counting "traditional" stuff, I have the following Forge-ish games:

                            -DitV
                            -Capes
                            -Fastlane
                            -Mortal Coil
                            -Hero's Banner
                            -Nine Worlds
                            -With Great Power

                            The last four I haven't played yet. However, I've played a number of
                            other indie games (from your list, only Dogs). This includes some
                            games that are available for free.

                            Probably it will be best if you contact me via IM before the weekend,
                            so that we could discuss the specifics. I should be available online
                            most of the time.

                            Best,

                            Filip

                            Message 13 of 22 , Jul 2, 2007
                              actually, my questions were meant for "develop" :)

                              for timezones, here's a good website: www.worldtimezone.com

                              it tells me Poland is normally GMT+1, but that it's GMT+2 at the moment because of DST

                              cheers!

                              JC

                            • develop
                              Message 14 of 22 , Jul 2, 2007

                                Ok, cause I just got these email J

                                “Develop”

                                Message 15 of 22 , Jul 2, 2007
                                  uh... so, Develop, what is your timezone and what
                                  games do you know/play?

                                  cheers!

                                  JC

                                  actually, my questions were meant for "develop" :)

                                  for timezones, here's a good website:
                                  www.worldtimezone.com

                                  it tells me Poland is normally GMT+1, but that
                                  it's GMT+2 at the moment because of DST

                                  cheers!

                                  JC

                                  > Message du 02/07/07 14:01
                                  > De : "filip_luszczyk"
                                  > A : indie-netgaming@yahoogroups.com
                                  > Copie à :
                                  > Objet : [indie-netgaming] Re: Looking for games
                                  this summer

                                  > I'm in Poland, so that's GMT+2 now (or so I
                                  think, timezones usually
                                  > confuse me).
                                  >
                                  > As for the games owned/played before, that's a
                                  rather long list ;) Not
                                  > counting "traditional" stuff, I have the
                                  following Forge-ish games:

                                  > -DitV
                                  > -Capes
                                  > -Fastlane
                                  > -Mortal Coil
                                  > -Hero's Banner
                                  > -Nine Worlds
                                  > -With Great Power
                                  >
                                  > The last four I haven't played yet. However,
                                  I've played a number of
                                  > other indie games (from your list, only Dogs).
                                  This includes some
                                  > games that are available for free.
                                  >
                                  > Probably it will be best if you contact me via
                                  IM before the weekend,
                                  > so that we could discuss the specifics. I should
                                  be available online
                                  > most of the time.
                                  >
                                  > Best,
                                  >
                                  > Filip
                                  >
                                  > --- In indie-netgaming@yahoogroups.com,
                                  "Jan-Christophe Hoogendoorn"
                                  > wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > cool :)
                                  > >
                                  > > what's your timezone?
                                  > >
                                  > > and what games have you got and/or played
                                  before?

                                  > > cheers!
                                  > >
                                  > > JC

                                • develop
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Jul 3, 2007

                                    LOL J

                                    Time zone is -5GMT or Eastern Canada.

                                    I play or have played almost all of the major rpgs, and am now delving into the indie ones. I am a huge fan of Pulp .45 and G.A.S.L.I.G.H.T. and am willing to learn and play anything.

                                    “Develop”

                                    Message 17 of 22 , Jul 3, 2007
                                      OK, as far as timezones are concerned, we have:
                                      - John: GMT-7 (because of DST)
                                      - Develop: GMT-5 (including DST?)
                                      - Graham: GMT+1 (because of DST)
                                      - hoog: GMT+2 (because of DST)
                                      - Filip: GMT+2 (because of DST)

                                      my next free slot is saturday the 7th of July

                                      who's available on that day, and what are your
                                      time constraints?

                                      as far as games are concerned, here's what people
                                      know/have:
                                      - John: Dogs, Polaris
                                      - Develop: Pulp 45, Gaslight
                                      - Graham: Roach, Dogs, Contenders
                                      - hoog: The Mountain Witch, Dogs in the Vineyard,
                                      The Shab-al-Hiri Roach, Polaris, Cold City,
                                      Sorcerer, Contenders, Carry
                                      - Filip: DitV, Capes, Fastlane, Mortal Coil,
                                      Hero's Banner, Nine Worlds, With Great Power

                                      as I've mentionned, I'm a beginner, and I don't
                                      feel capable of explaining or running the games I
                                      have to someone who's unfamiliar with them

                                      I tried doing that with my usual bunch of players,
                                      and it didn't work out too good (and that was face
                                      to face, where they could read the book
                                      themselves)

                                      but that's just me

                                      maybe (just a random example) Filip feels
                                      confident he can run/explain Capes to the rest of
                                      us

                                      how do you guys feel about this?

                                      if we do go with playing something everybody has
                                      or knows, that seems to be DITV

                                      in that case, Develop: either someone can explain
                                      the game to you, or you'll have to get yourself a
                                      copy (PDF?)

                                      as far as the medium of communication is
                                      concerned, Filip suggested Skype and Gametable

                                      I have zero experience with online gaming, so I'll
                                      happily take your advice, Filip :)

                                      any other ideas?

                                      cheers!

                                      JC

                                      PS: happy 4th of July to you, John ;)
                                    • filip_luszczyk
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Jul 4, 2007
                                        I'm fine with the Saturday, and I'm rather flexible - although I'd
                                        prefer (European) late afternoon or evening.

                                        I'd rather play than run the game, as I'm not confident enough in my
                                        Engrish to GM ;)

                                        Capes is GM-less, so there's no problem with running it ;) The rules
                                        are rather complex, and the best explanation is, I think, the Flash
                                        demo on the site that shows most of the game in action (otherwise, I'm
                                        not sure if I can do a good job in explaining everything from scratch
                                        myself, especially online). Also, the lite version includes the most
                                        important rules and is free.

                                        As for the medium, I think Skype works well for small groups - with 2
                                        players + GM we've been playing comfortably, with 3 players + GM some
                                        communication problems started to occur (and I have no experience with
                                        more than 3 players + GM on Skype). If there's more than four of us
                                        altogether, IRC might be a better choice than voice chat (but then,
                                        IRC sessions are very slow, so we won't do too much). Either way, the
                                        size of the group dictates the choice of system to some extent. DitV
                                        might not work well with more than 3 players + GM. Capes requires at
                                        least 3 players - but with more than 4 it might be laggish (I've been
                                        playing in 5-player IRC sessions, and we had roughly one scene per 4-5
                                        hours of play).

                                        Best,

                                        Filip

                                        Message 19 of 22 , Jul 4, 2007

                                          I can be a player or run a game as I have GM’ed for more than 30 years now. J

                                          Please let me know what day we are aiming for and what time.

                                          “Develop” aka Chris J

                                          Message 20 of 22 , Jul 6, 2007
                                            --- In indie-netgaming@yahoogroups.com, "Jan-Christophe Hoogendoorn"
                                            <jan-christophe.hoogendoorn@...> wrote:

                                            > OK, as far as timezones are concerned, we have:
                                            > - John: GMT-7 (because of DST)

                                            So... 5pm for me == midnight GMT?

                                            > my next free slot is saturday the 7th of July
                                            >
                                            > who's available on that day, and what are your
                                            > time constraints?

                                            I'm available. I'm taking my daughter to the airport in the morning,
                                            so the absolute earliest for me is 10am my time (5pm GMT). In
                                            general I'd be free earlier. I'm free until 4pm PDT/11pm GMT,
                                            preferably a little before that.

                                            Problem with Saturday is, at least once a month I have a meeting that
                                            will pull me away. This month that meeting is on the 14th.

                                            > as far as games are concerned, here's what people
                                            > know/have:
                                            > - John: Dogs, Polaris

                                            I can try running Dogs. I'd prefer to play, though.

                                            > as I've mentionned, I'm a beginner, and I don't
                                            > feel capable of explaining or running the games I
                                            > have to someone who's unfamiliar with them

                                            I DO have a lot of experience explaining stuff. But it's time
                                            consuming.

                                            > as far as the medium of communication is
                                            > concerned, Filip suggested Skype and Gametable
                                            >
                                            > I have zero experience with online gaming, so I'll
                                            > happily take your advice, Filip :)

                                            I prefer IRC. I haven't used any voice stuff in years, but I found
                                            it to be very confusing, so many voices done remotely. I would lose
                                            track of who was talking.

                                            I've used IRC for years. It's slow compared to face-to-face, but
                                            less confusing than faceless voices.

                                            Good ol' IRC, that's for me.

                                            John