Introduction

  • airazurite
    Message 1 of 60 , Jul 16, 2002
      Hi. I've been reading the Forge for a couple of days. I was once a
      rec.games.frp.advocacy regular, although discussion has died there
      and it's been a long time since I posted.

      Aside from engaging in other forms of roleplaying, I GMed a series of
      tabletop-style fantasy campaigns online, over the course of about ten
      years. In the last three years, however, I haven't played or run
      anything. I used to GM much more often than I played, and life
      became stressful in other ways. Eventually exhaustion set in, and I
      stopped roleplaying altogether for a while.

      I'd like to ease back into playing. I don't want to start out by
      GMing: I felt as if I'd fallen into a rut by the time I stopped.
      Playing in short campaigns in which I get to sample other peoples'
      GMing styles and systems looks like it could be fun. I don't foresee
      my running anything as ambitious as my old campaign series when I do
      eventually GM again; circumstances are still pretty rocky and I doubt
      I'd have the stamina.

      Venues: IRC, PBEM, MU*. (I can write MUSH code, although it's been a
      while.) I have ICQ, but the netsplits are ferocious and I wouldn't
      attempt to game on it.

      Preferences and Comments:

      My schedule is very flexible.

      Primarily Simulationist or Narrativist play is OK, but I'm no Gamist.

      No number-crunching. There've been times when intricate rules have
      fascinated me, but I have to feel like concentrating on them, and I
      don't, at present. Rules-light is better now. I have no problem
      with diceless; that's how I ran most of my own campaigns.

      No combat, or occasional combat, is OK. Frequent combat is out. I
      don't visualize well and it's a major effort to make any reasonable
      tactical decisions without diagrams or miniatures.

      Play should be rated G, PG, or PG-13. I don't want to deal with
      rape, graphic torture, or abuse of children or animals. Eldritch
      horror is OK; if I feel the need for horror of depravity, I'll read a
      newspaper.

      Genre: for longer campaigns, fantasy, horror, sf, or mystery. For
      shorter stuff, I'm probably willing to experiment with other genres.

      Character mortality: not a problem if the campaign is intended to be
      short. For a longer campaign, however, if a character that 'clicks'
      is lost, I am unlikely to be able to replace them on demand.

      My fantasy campaigns were relentlessly political: intrigue is good.

      I generally try to construct characters with built-in conflict. My
      building is more develop-in-play than design-at-start: there's a
      certain amount of stuff I need to figure out at the beginning to get
      a grip on the character's current mindset, but working out a
      background in too much detail has a tendency to be counterproductive.

      Silvered Glass
    • Shreyas Sampat
      Message 60 of 60 , Jul 9, 2003
        Hello hello! Welcome! Et cetera! (is not good at this greetings thing)

        =====
        Shreyas

        http://sbc.yahoo.com