Re: [indie-netgaming] Shadow World

  • Christoph Boeckle
    Message 1 of 15 , May 25, 2006
      Hello,

      I'm kind of glad that the game isn't on tonight, as I would have great
      difficulties to attend it (it has to do with a combination of technical
      issues and lack of sleep).
      I'm very interested in Fred's discussion though. Is there any way we
      might do that by e-mail, or have a résumé of the discussion you guys
      had?

      Have a nice evening and weekend!

      Christoph

      http://fr.mail.yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 15 , May 26, 2006
        >From: Fred <vaxalon@...>
        >
        >Oh, we're back to that again? I thought that was done.

        Er, nope. I took a break from it a couple of months back, but part of the
        big gap last month was the fact that I went to my other obligation.

        I shouldn't actually call off the game on Thurdays, as Thomas or somebody
        else, even, can run the game in my absence. I should have simply said that I
        wouldn't be in attendance.

        >Okay, in light of that, I'd like to hold a player meeting, to discuss
        >taking
        >control of scene framing more seriously.

        When are you thinking Fred?

        In any case, I hope that people are checking out the page about the quest
        that Adrienne posted:
        http://random.average-bear.com/ShadowWorld/LakeHeroquest

        Let's try to get as many details settled regarding this in PBEM play before
        we play next Thurday. Things to settle by email:
        - Adding ritual objects - Think of cool stuff that your character might
        track down for the quest. Make stuff up here, there is no real data to be
        tracked down. That is, don't ask, "Do the Rhiani have any implements that
        they could offer for our use?" because I don't have an answer for that -
        I'll consider it a request for me to make such up (and that's fine, too).
        Better is to ask, "How about they have a big ornate spirit stick that
        belongs to the tribe as a whole?"
        - Adding ritual roles - the quest is inentionally sketchy here. If you want
        the legend to have some role like a person who holds aloft sacred incense
        for the whole spirit world ritual or something, go ahead and suggest that.
        Generally there are two types of roles - ones that are involved in the
        crossing ritual, but do not cross themselves, and those that cross, and
        perform some role in the actual quest. In addition to creating a role,
        you're going to want to convince some character to perform that role.
        - Place and Time - these have already been set, but if you can come up with
        other details than Objects and roles, let us hear it.
        - Community and Individual Support - check out the page, there are loads of
        groups yet to approach potentially. If your character wouldn't approach the
        group, maybe he can convince somebody else to do so? Making up groups and
        individuals, like Chris has done, is encouraged.
        - Stations - think the quest needs some more stations, or the ones there
        don't thrill you? Come up with some more, or some alternate ones. Along with
        related roles, ritual objects, etc, etc.

        And there are other things that I'm sure I'm forgetting. Let's try to all
        come up with at least one or two items. And that means everyone, not just
        the most active players. Post this stuff to me, and/or the wiki page above,
        and let's play out any scenes we need to by email. That is, let me know what
        your character is trying to get, and how he's doing so, and we'll do the
        required scenes and resolution by email. I hope to hear from more than just
        Chris and Adrienne.

        Mike
      • Fred
        Message 3 of 15 , May 26, 2006
          On 5/26/06, Mike Holmes <mike_c_holmes@...> wrote:

          - Adding ritual objects - Think of cool stuff that your character might
          track down for the quest. Make stuff up here, there is no real data to be
          tracked down. That is, don't ask, "Do the Rhiani have any implements that
          they could offer for our use?" because I don't have an answer for that -
          I'll consider it a request for me to make such up (and that's fine, too).
          Better is to ask, "How about they have a big ornate spirit stick that
          belongs to the tribe as a whole?"

          There's Okhfels Crown of White Metal which he's still carrying around, and still don't really know what it's for.

          Okhfels also has a White Metal Blade, from Beliria, intended for Isadora, which has ritual significance in marriage; there may be a certain significance to it if it becomes a symbol of the relationship between Okhfels and Isadora, and the cementing of their bonds is metaphorical for cementing bonds in the larger community, and between the spirits.

          Investigating the ruins, Okhfels and/or Beliria might have found other items of significance.

          - Community and Individual Support - check out the page, there are loads of
          groups yet to approach potentially. If your character wouldn't approach the
          group, maybe he can convince somebody else to do so? Making up groups and
          individuals, like Chris has done, is encouraged.

          I'm willing to make a series of rolls for Okhfels to gather support among various individuals and groups.  With his skills and reputation, he'd be ideal for that role.  Mike, how would you like to handle those?  Via PBEM, and you roll the dice?

          - Stations - think the quest needs some more stations, or the ones there
          don't thrill you? Come up with some more, or some alternate ones. Along with
          related roles, ritual objects, etc, etc.

          They look good to me.

          Message 4 of 15 , May 26, 2006
            (cc'ed to netgaming list for informational purposes)

            Okay, here's what I'd like to play out in PBEM:

            1> Okhfels has been captured by the Blue Bears (perhaps some enterprising and not-terribly-superstitious individual has ambushed him while he was investiating the ruins) and finds out about their desire to settle down... if their reason for wanting to get him can be dealt with.

            2> Okhfels approaches the colony soldiers for support.

            3> Okhfels approaches the Sherezak refugees for support.

            The last two, I think, don't need to be extensively played out.

            Message 5 of 15 , May 26, 2006
              >From: Fred <vaxalon@...>
              >
              >There's Okhfels Crown of White Metal which he's still carrying around, and
              >still don't really know what it's for.

              Good tie in. Hmm. Let's say Okhfels has discovered, wearing the crown in the
              dome, that this was the crown that Neorut wore the day he raised the mud
              bridge in the original ritual. That makes it +10 to Okhfels on the
              appropriate stations (assuming he plays the role of Neorut).

              >Okhfels also has a White Metal Blade, from Beliria, intended for Isadora,
              >which has ritual significance in marriage; there may be a certain
              >significance to it if it becomes a symbol of the relationship between
              >Okhfels and Isadora, and the cementing of their bonds is metaphorical for
              >cementing bonds in the larger community, and between the spirits.

              I was going to suggest it if you didn't.

              >Investigating the ruins, Okhfels and/or Beliria might have found other
              >items of significance.

              Yep, sounds good. Are you asking me to make something up, or do you want to
              come up with something.

              All good examples, Fred.

              >Mike, how would you like to handle those? Via PBEM, and you roll the dice?

              That's correct. This is how I run the Kaitaine PBEM that's going on
              simultaneous to the IRC game.

              Message 6 of 15 , May 26, 2006
                >From: Fred <vaxalon@...>
                >
                >(cc'ed to netgaming list for informational purposes)
                >
                >Okay, here's what I'd like to play out in PBEM:

                Expect an email on these, Fred.