Re: More Nobilis Players!

  • james_nostack
    Message 1 of 19 , Feb 14, 2006
      Hi, sorry I missed last Saturday's initial discussion. It was very
      impolite of me, and I realize that. (In my defense, I was away from
      internet access for the tail end of last week and the weekend, and
      didn't realize it had been scheduled so soon.)

      Shreyas tells me that the group gravitated to a Fallen Angel concept
      for an Imperator. Do we mean "fallen angel" as in Devil, or "fallen
      angel" as in 'got fired from the job but isn't in hell?'

      In any case, it suggests two aspects for the Imperator's soul: a
      heavenly side, and a hellish side. I'm happy playing either of those,
      unless y'all have staked 'em both out!

      I'm flexible with domains. What are we thinking about in general?
    • Kirt Dankmyer
      Message 2 of 19 , Feb 14, 2006
        Well, I was thinking "Fallen Angel" as in "comes from Hell", but with
        the Honorable Imperator quality. (I think that's the one Fallen Angels
        are allowed to have. Serves Hell, but isn't truely corrupt himself.)

        --
        Kirt "Loki" Dankmyer -- http://ivanhoeunbound.com -- xiomBRAG on AIM
        cats * hats * RPGs * love * Eris * Agent Patriot * anime * Dada * poetry
        Message 3 of 19 , Feb 14, 2006
          Ok then! I have (what I think is) a totally kick-ass idea for a
          Hellish imperator, but it's Valentine's. I'll post in a bit.

          --- In indie-netgaming@yahoogroups.com, Kirt Dankmyer <xiombarg@...>
          wrote:

          > Well, I was thinking "Fallen Angel" as in "comes from Hell", but with
          > the Honorable Imperator quality. (I think that's the one Fallen Angels
          > are allowed to have. Serves Hell, but isn't truely corrupt himself.)
          >
          > On 2/14/06, james_nostack <james_nostack@...> wrote:
          > > Hi, sorry I missed last Saturday's initial discussion. It was very
          > > impolite of me, and I realize that. (In my defense, I was away from
          > > internet access for the tail end of last week and the weekend, and
          > > didn't realize it had been scheduled so soon.)
          > >
          > > Shreyas tells me that the group gravitated to a Fallen Angel concept
          > > for an Imperator. Do we mean "fallen angel" as in Devil, or "fallen
          > > angel" as in 'got fired from the job but isn't in hell?'
          > >
          > > In any case, it suggests two aspects for the Imperator's soul: a
          > > heavenly side, and a hellish side. I'm happy playing either of those,
          > > unless y'all have staked 'em both out!
          > >
          > > I'm flexible with domains. What are we thinking about in general?
          > >

          > > Yahoo! Groups Links
          > >

          > --
          > Kirt "Loki" Dankmyer -- http://ivanhoeunbound.com -- xiomBRAG on AIM
          > cats * hats * RPGs * love * Eris * Agent Patriot * anime * Dada * poetry
          > "Only ONE MAN can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me!"
          -Death

        • james_nostack
          Message 4 of 19 , Feb 15, 2006
            Hi Shreyas, here is a concept for a devil:

            Hiddukel is the fallen angel of false redemption. He's the phenomenon
            behind people who think they've been "saved" and on that basis damn
            themselves even more thoroughly. Every idealist who uses their faith
            to ruin lives has been touched by Hiddukel. Everyone who believes
            they can do no wrong because they speak for God has been corrupted by
            him. As part of Hiddukel's job, he grants power to these people,
            giving them riches, influence, intelligence, charm, etc--so that they
            have enough stature to ruin their lives in a suitably grand fashion
            (and the lives of everyone around them).

            All of this was in my head around 10 years ago, and through the
            process of association got connected to a lot of different things. I
            remember it made sense at the time, but now I can't recreate it.
            Consider these as jumping off points:

            * Humans as isolated, selfish, untrusting beings: an anti-matter community

            * The Throne, one of the Four Hallows of Grail Lore
            * The New Moon
            * Winter

            * The Blue Temple of Wealth, repository of secret things (apologies to
            Fred Saberhagen's Book of Swords series)

            * Makyo (a Zen term: a harmful delusion pretending to be enlightenment)

            * Satan tempting Christ to rule the world

            * Ontological Cancer: draining something of its quintessence, leaving
            an empty husk behind (i.e., tabloid newspapers, junk food, androids,
            or (from a fundamentalist Christian standpoint) gay marriage)

            Disclaimer: the name, and the idea of a "god of false redemption," was
            stolen from Ye Olde Dragonlance RPG circa 1985. They never did
            anything with the character, as far as I can tell. All the rest of
            the development here is original.
          • james_nostack
            Message 5 of 19 , Feb 16, 2006
              vague ideas on powers - righteousness, wealth, poison? a golden calf
              with eagle's wings and a scorpion's stinger?

              --- In indie-netgaming@yahoogroups.com, "james_nostack"

              Message 6 of 19 , Feb 16, 2006
                I like this concept.

                Hmmm, fitting into that idea, I'm thinking of playing the Pawn of
                Agonyclites, using some of the ideas from my Pawn of Insomnia. (See
                http://phrontistery.info/clw1.html for the definition of Agonyclites.)

                In this case, the term "Agonyclite" would not just refer to people who
                pray standing up, but metaphorically to any religious person who is
                inordinately proud (i.e. not reverental, not bowing to the Creator) in
                their religious practice, particularly in their attitude toward their
                betters, such as gods, angels, or the Creator. It includes the sense
                of "habitual hubris".

                I'm thinking he may even have started an organization like this, in
                its "nastier" spin:

                http://xiombarg.livejournal.com/399034.html

                What does our esteemed Hollyhock God think of all this?

                Message 7 of 19 , Feb 23, 2006
                  Are we meeting this Saturday?