Re: [indie-netgaming] Re: Rats in the Walls - play by post!

  • Lxndr
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 13, 2005
      I'm willing to run, definitely. I'm not sure how best to draw the Web
      of Hatred online - right now that's my biggest obstacle. There's got to
      be family-tree-type programs that could work though. Constructing it
      isn't too hard, as long as we can reference the web somehow.

      citizenchimpesq wrote:

      >Lance:
      >
      >I'd be in. I'm really seeing how this game could work in PbP. Are you
      >playing the text from 1KM1KT maybe with a few rule tweaks, or do you
      >have a newer version to pass out?
      >Any ideas about how best to draw the Web of Hatred online? That
      >process could get hairy with 6 people contributing by post alone.
      >
      >--- In indie-netgaming@yahoogroups.com, <dariuswolfe@c...> wrote:
      >

      >>So, one of my errant playtesters remarked that RitW is one of those
      >>

      >games that is well suited to play by post. I've never done a play by
      >post or a play by email game, myself; The whole idea is hard for me to
      >wrap my head around. But I could still see the point.
      >

      >>So, at one point following this observation, Lx said he wouldn't
      >>

      >mind running such a game, since I've got no experience with it, and I
      >thought "Hey, that'd work!" But nothing has been forthcoming, so since
      >it's my game, I'll jump on here to bring it up.
      >

      >>Lx: Still interested/willing in running this? If not, get with me,
      >>

      >and give me some advice on how to run it, and I'll do it myself.
      >

      >>Everyone else: Interested? Reply! I'm not entirely certain how many
      >>

      >people the game can handle as a play-by-post, but probably more than
      >the estimate of 2-4 for a tabletop game. I'll hazard a guess and say..
      >6 players plus a GM? I think, if Lx is too busy, I could handle 6
      >players.
      >

      >>So, please respond!
      >>
      >>~Lance.
      >>

      >Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Lance Allen
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 14, 2005
        Okay, so far we've got me, Lx and... Chimp? interested in playing. Maybe I
        could get Zach (mine, not yours, Lx) involved, but he's not on this mailing
        list. A few brief points to address..

        First, I'd like to finally point to where we can play: My message boards
        located at http://wolvesdenproductions.com/phpBB2/. I was hacked, so I
        needed to fix the hack and update to hopefully prevent it from happening
        again, but now it's up and running.

        Second: I've never done a PbP, but it seems like it would be best to do
        character generation in IRC, then move to the boards for the game. This
        would be Lx's call, as the one who has volunteered (thankfully!) to run, but
        that just seems the best way IMO.

        Third: I've got a few ideas for how to do the web of hatred, so I'll get
        back when I've looked through them a bit. Failing a visual alternative,
        there's always the grid idea I suggested that one time, Lx.

          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 16, 2005
            You definitely /can/ do character creation through PbP, but it takes so
            much less time to do it on IRC.

            As for the Web of Hatred, as long as you come up with something everyone
            can understand, I'll happily accept it. As GM, I'm going to take a step
            back from web-creation, so I'd like to nominate you to be the
            web-keeper, while it's being created. Then you can just send it to me
            afterwards.