Re: [indie-netgaming] DragonFist

  • Jonathan Nichol
    Message 1 of 20 , Jun 6, 2005
      On 6/6/05, Mike Holmes <mike_c_holmes@...> wrote:
      > He was an employee of Wizards when he made it, and is now a member of Green
      > Ronin who are more than just Chris Pramas.
      >
      > So I think there's more than a little room for doubt here as to the
      > "indie-ness" of the game. And that's without considering that it's D&D for
      > chrissake! Next we'll be playing Arcana Unearthed because Monty owns it
      > solely.
      >
      > Mike

      Mike,

      It's true that it wasn't indie when it was made (since it was owned by
      WotC) but currently, its sole owner is Chris Pramas who was its sole
      designer. Green Ronin has not published Dragon Fist and if they do so
      it will not be the Dragonfist which was published as PDFs.

      Also, DragonFists's system, while similar to D&D, is not D&D in any
      version of D&D. It is its own system and, at least in my mind, it
      qualifies as indie.
      --
      Jonathan Nichol
      http://www.DeepSheep.com/
      Message 2 of 20 , Jun 6, 2005
        Are we going to start arguing over what makes a game indie?

        Someone wants to run a game. It's arguably (if not definitely) indie.
        C'mon, Mike.
        Message 3 of 20 , Jun 6, 2005
          >From: Fred <vaxalon@...>

          >It's arguably (if not definitely) indie.

          I'm not sure it is. Rather, if it is indie, then so is 90% of the gaming
          world. It basically makes the description uselessly broad. We might as well
          just be the netgaming group.

          Not that I'm terribly worried about some "infection" or something. I just
          think you have to ask every once in a while. In any case, if we're suddenly
          flooded with D20 play, I'm blaming you, Fred! ;-)

          Message 4 of 20 , Jun 6, 2005
            >From: Jonathan Nichol <jnichol@...>

            >Also, DragonFists's system, while similar to D&D, is not D&D in any version
            >of D&D.

            Nor is any D20 game, per se. But how close does a game have to be, how well
            do we have to know it's pedigree before we admit that we're playing a game
            spawned by the same sort of efforts that produce D20 games?

            I suppose that if somehow Gygax got control of D&D again solely in his name
            away from TSR that suddenly that would make D&D an "indie" game? Are these
            PDFs substantively different from the documents produced while he made the
            game for WOTC?

            Mike
          • Jonathan Nichol
            Message 5 of 20 , Jun 6, 2005
              On 6/6/05, Mike Holmes <mike_c_holmes@...> wrote:
              > I suppose that if somehow Gygax got control of D&D again solely in his name
              > away from TSR that suddenly that would make D&D an "indie" game? Are these
              > PDFs substantively different from the documents produced while he made the
              > game for WOTC?
              >
              > Mike

              My answers to your questions:

              Yes, I believe if Gygax owned D&D and he did all of the design
              himself, D&D would be indie.

              No, the PDFs are the documents produced when the game was made for WotC.

              This, of course, is using the Forge definition of indie as I
              understand it. Since this group is not affiliated with the Forge, it
              is the group owner's definition of indie which really applies here.
              --
              Jonathan Nichol
              http://www.DeepSheep.com/
              Message 6 of 20 , Jun 6, 2005
                On 6/6/05, Mike Holmes <mike_c_holmes@...> wrote:

                > >From: Jonathan Nichol <jnichol@...>
                >
                > >Also, DragonFists's system, while similar to D&D, is not D&D in any
                > version
                > >of D&D.
                >
                > Nor is any D20 game, per se. But how close does a game have to be, how well
                > do we have to know it's pedigree before we admit that we're playing a game
                > spawned by the same sort of efforts that produce D20 games?

                Is a D20 game ineligible by definition from being "indie"?

                Ask Clinton about that one.
              • Fred
                Message 7 of 20 , Jun 6, 2005
                  On 6/6/05, Mike Holmes <mike_c_holmes@...> wrote:

                  > >From: Fred <vaxalon@...>
                  >
                  > >It's arguably (if not definitely) indie.
                  >
                  > I'm not sure it is. Rather, if it is indie, then so is 90% of the gaming
                  > world. It basically makes the description uselessly broad. We might as well
                  > just be the netgaming group.
                  >
                  > Not that I'm terribly worried about some "infection" or something. I just
                  > think you have to ask every once in a while. In any case, if we're suddenly
                  > flooded with D20 play, I'm blaming you, Fred! ;-)

                  I'll take all the credit.
                • Nathan E. Banks <Paganini>
                  • Nathan E. Banks <Paganini>