No Paladin on Mondays

  • John
    Message 1 of 26 , Jun 1, 2005
      I have failed to get a firm commitment from more than two people.
      This is an issue I see a lot in online gaming, but three players was
      my absolute minimum for this project. I'm giving up on this idea for
      the forseeable future. Thanks Lance, and others who have expressed
      interest.

      A Thousand Times,

      LT
    • Fred
      Message 2 of 26 , Jun 1, 2005
        This happens a lot in IRC games.  Just keep plugging away... announce another game, round up another group...  in my experience, about one announcement in ten actually results in a group that meets for more than two or three sessions.

      • John
        Message 3 of 26 , Jun 1, 2005
          I know. I think I'm spoiled. I've been gaming online with the same
          group for seven years. The membership has fluctuated over time, but
          we've always had a group.

          Thanks,

          LT

          --- In indie-netgaming@yahoogroups.com, Fred <vaxalon@g...> wrote:
          > This happens a lot in IRC games. Just keep plugging away... announce
          another
          > game, round up another group... in my experience, about one
          announcement in
          > ten actually results in a group that meets for more than two or
          three
          > sessions.
        • Fred
          Message 4 of 26 , Jun 1, 2005
            Wow, that's ... more than I've ever heard of, or for that matter believed possible.

            Message 5 of 26 , Jun 1, 2005
              I think that in most cases games this durable have some sort of flexibility
              advantage. That is, when you say "same group" do they all post all the time,
              and does membership never change?

              I've designed the HQ game to be durable in a sort of serial way - it
              intentionally breaks every few months to a year and reassigns membership,
              but any character can go on or come back into play (Note Aysha and Fahja) if
              one wants. And the game can be played with whoever is present. I fully
              intend for it to last perpetually.

              Games where everyone has to be there every week in perpetuity are just prone
              to disintigration. The lack of FTF social pressure in the online environment
              makes that true. That's the other key. Meet your players in person, if
              possible, and get to know them for real. That way when they committ, they
              can't just dissapear on you.

              I'm betting that the players in the seven year game know each other pretty
              well?

              >From: Fred <vaxalon@...>
              >
              >Wow, that's ... more than I've ever heard of, or for that matter believed
              >possible.
              >
              >On 6/1/05, John <longspeak@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > I know. I think I'm spoiled. I've been gaming online with the same
              > > group for seven years. The membership has fluctuated over time, but
              > > we've always had a group.

            • Rev. Raven Daegmorgan
              Message 6 of 26 , Jun 1, 2005
                I've been playing with the same group on-line for just as long, though the membership has also fluctuated from time to time. Have maintained the same core group, though.

                I was also for a number of years (four or five) a member of a group that has been together since the early days of Compuserve, and are still gaming regularly today on-line.

                - Rev. Ravenscrye Grey Daegmorgan

                           Orx is here!
                     orx.daegmorgan.net

                Message 7 of 26 , Jun 1, 2005
                  Like I said, maybe I'm spoiled. :-)

                  We've played a weekly, online, realtime game since mid-1998. The
                  membership has shifted in that time, there's no doubt. Currently,
                  one of my four players has been with me since late '98, and another
                  since mid '99. My last original player left to devote more time to
                  grad school in 2001.

                  I've never met any of my players in person. We live all over the
                  country (and at one point, I had players from four different
                  countries: USA, Canada, Chile & Ireland). Most of them live east of
                  me, and pester me to put Eastern Time on all of my emails.

                  Granted, in that time, I've met some flakes. I've had my share one
                  one-session wonders, philosophical disagreements, etc. I've even had
                  my share of GM freak-outs. But overall, they've had enough fun that
                  they keep coming back. There was a break in '03 for a few months,
                  but we resumed. The break was due to my fraking out over issues that
                  had nothing to do with the game. Just real life gettin' in the way.

                  I think I know my players relatively well, considering we've never
                  met. We even mail gifts to each other for birthdays and holidays.
                  Once, I even sent my disused copy of Trinity to one player who wanted
                  to start a live game at his house.

                  And now we're starting a new story! Whee!

                  LT

                  --- In indie-netgaming@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Holmes"