RE: [indie-netgaming] Re: Paladin on Monday Evenings?

  • Lance Allen
    Message 1 of 26 , May 27, 2005
      John,

      Yeah, I got the message on YIM. I responded, but after failing to find the
      e-mail, I went out and worked on strapping my armor in the backyard. When I
      came back, you weren't responding to IMs.

      I've no problems with anything put forth here, and in most cases, would have
      agreed with the decisions had I been there. The disparity of signature
      weapons works well with a young organization, though I'm a bit indecisive
      about whether or not the PCs should be First Messengers or not. Wait, on
      second thought.. If the PCs are the First Messengers, that has the potential
      to fix the "too Catholic" bit right there; If we're the First, then we've
      got some say in determining the Code, and other such details. Either way,
      Catholic isn't really a problem for me, despite being a Protestant of sorts
      myself.

      Message 2 of 26 , Jun 1, 2005
        I have failed to get a firm commitment from more than two people.
        This is an issue I see a lot in online gaming, but three players was
        my absolute minimum for this project. I'm giving up on this idea for
        the forseeable future. Thanks Lance, and others who have expressed
        interest.

        A Thousand Times,

        LT
      • Fred
        Message 3 of 26 , Jun 1, 2005
          This happens a lot in IRC games.  Just keep plugging away... announce another game, round up another group...  in my experience, about one announcement in ten actually results in a group that meets for more than two or three sessions.

        • John
          Message 4 of 26 , Jun 1, 2005
            I know. I think I'm spoiled. I've been gaming online with the same
            group for seven years. The membership has fluctuated over time, but
            we've always had a group.

            Thanks,

            LT

            --- In indie-netgaming@yahoogroups.com, Fred <vaxalon@g...> wrote:
            > This happens a lot in IRC games. Just keep plugging away... announce
            another
            > game, round up another group... in my experience, about one
            announcement in
            > ten actually results in a group that meets for more than two or
            three
            > sessions.
          • Fred
            Message 5 of 26 , Jun 1, 2005
              Wow, that's ... more than I've ever heard of, or for that matter believed possible.

              Message 6 of 26 , Jun 1, 2005
                I think that in most cases games this durable have some sort of flexibility
                advantage. That is, when you say "same group" do they all post all the time,
                and does membership never change?

                I've designed the HQ game to be durable in a sort of serial way - it
                intentionally breaks every few months to a year and reassigns membership,
                but any character can go on or come back into play (Note Aysha and Fahja) if
                one wants. And the game can be played with whoever is present. I fully
                intend for it to last perpetually.

                Games where everyone has to be there every week in perpetuity are just prone
                to disintigration. The lack of FTF social pressure in the online environment
                makes that true. That's the other key. Meet your players in person, if
                possible, and get to know them for real. That way when they committ, they
                can't just dissapear on you.

                I'm betting that the players in the seven year game know each other pretty
                well?

                >From: Fred <vaxalon@...>
                >
                >Wow, that's ... more than I've ever heard of, or for that matter believed
                >possible.
                >
                >On 6/1/05, John <longspeak@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > I know. I think I'm spoiled. I've been gaming online with the same
                > > group for seven years. The membership has fluctuated over time, but
                > > we've always had a group.

              • Rev. Raven Daegmorgan
                Message 7 of 26 , Jun 1, 2005
                  I've been playing with the same group on-line for just as long, though the membership has also fluctuated from time to time. Have maintained the same core group, though.

                  I was also for a number of years (four or five) a member of a group that has been together since the early days of Compuserve, and are still gaming regularly today on-line.

                  - Rev. Ravenscrye Grey Daegmorgan

                             Orx is here!
                       orx.daegmorgan.net

                  Message 8 of 26 , Jun 1, 2005
                    Like I said, maybe I'm spoiled. :-)

                    We've played a weekly, online, realtime game since mid-1998. The
                    membership has shifted in that time, there's no doubt. Currently,
                    one of my four players has been with me since late '98, and another
                    since mid '99. My last original player left to devote more time to
                    grad school in 2001.

                    I've never met any of my players in person. We live all over the
                    country (and at one point, I had players from four different
                    countries: USA, Canada, Chile & Ireland). Most of them live east of
                    me, and pester me to put Eastern Time on all of my emails.

                    Granted, in that time, I've met some flakes. I've had my share one
                    one-session wonders, philosophical disagreements, etc. I've even had
                    my share of GM freak-outs. But overall, they've had enough fun that
                    they keep coming back. There was a break in '03 for a few months,
                    but we resumed. The break was due to my fraking out over issues that
                    had nothing to do with the game. Just real life gettin' in the way.

                    I think I know my players relatively well, considering we've never
                    met. We even mail gifts to each other for birthdays and holidays.
                    Once, I even sent my disused copy of Trinity to one player who wanted
                    to start a live game at his house.

                    And now we're starting a new story! Whee!

                    LT

                    --- In indie-netgaming@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Holmes"