Re: [indie-netgaming] TSoY: Session Ideas?

  • Doyce Testerman
    Message 1 of 21 , Dec 15, 2004
      Dibs on the ratkin that been hired for some of the sneaking, carrying,
      and bloodletting :)

      (I'd be happy to storyguide under normal circumstances, but I'm
      starting my first Heroquest game this weekend, and TSOY is like a meme
      virus around HQ -- they mix with each other WAY too easily to do a
      proper 'pure' run of either system if you're trying to learn both.)

      --
      Doyce Testerman
      smarter@...http://www.average-bear.com
      Message 2 of 21 , Dec 15, 2004
        So that's one for an assassin, and one for a sneaky ratkin. Any other
        takers? If anyone wants to suggest another premise, by all means...

        I took the liberty of creating a folder on the site, located here:

        Folder is named "TSoY," and can store character concepts for people to
        admire, or anything that strikes your fancy.

        PS. Thanks for the offer of help Clinton! I hope I don't stumble too
        badly.
      • Doyce Testerman
        Message 3 of 21 , Dec 16, 2004
          > > Ok, I've never done the online play thing, so I'm going to need help,
          > > but I'd be in. (NOT as the Story Guide. I'm dipping my toes in the
          > > water with the online play. Plus, I've never gotten to be a player in
          > > TSOY, and I think I'll rock it.)
          > >
          > > So, what medium do you guys use? IRC or something else?

          Clinton, Firefox has a good extension called Chatzilla that works very
          cleanly for this medium, just FYI.
        • james_nostack
          Message 4 of 21 , Dec 17, 2004
            Shall we say 9 PM Eastern on Monday, December 27 for a 90 minute
            (possibly 2 hour) try-out session? It may be impossible to accomplish
            anything substantial in that time, but perhaps some aggressive scene
            framing could help.

            If this is a problem, please speak up!

            Regarding methods, let's try mIRC (available for free here:
            http://www.mirc.com/ ). After installing...

            1. In the File menu, select Options...
            2. You should see an option to add an IRC server. Click "add"
            3. You can type in a descriptive name if you want.
            4. In the IRC Server field, type linuxguy.magicstar.net
            5. Make sure it's port 6667.
            6. Connect to the server.
            7. Once you're on the server, type /join #tsoy
            8. (You may be the first person there.)
            9. Rolling is accomplished by typing /roll 1d6 #tsoy
            9. If you run into any problems, there's a chat server on this Yahoo
            group at http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/indie-netgaming/chat
            where we can meet up and troubleshoot.
          • Oroszlany Balazs
            Message 5 of 21 , Dec 17, 2004
              Hi,

              Since it will be my first post on this list, let me introduce myself.

              I'm Oroszlany Balazs, currently studying in Japan, which means that I
              don't have much chance to play English RPGs. So I joined the
              Indie-netgaming group to get my dose ;).

              About the tSoY-session:

              Is there a place for another player/lurker?

              If I can figure out the time-difference thing I would be happy to join
              you on the 27th.

              Balazs

              On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 23:10:21 -0000, james_nostack
              <james_nostack@...> wrote:

              > Shall we say 9 PM Eastern on Monday, December 27 for a 90 minute
              > (possibly 2 hour) try-out session? It may be impossible to accomplish
              > anything substantial in that time, but perhaps some aggressive scene
              > framing could help.
            • Clinton R. Nixon
              Message 6 of 21 , Dec 18, 2004
                --- In indie-netgaming@yahoogroups.com, "james_nostack"
                <james_nostack@h...> wrote:

                > So that's one for an assassin, and one for a sneaky ratkin. Any other
                > takers? If anyone wants to suggest another premise, by all means...

                So, James - are we making our own characters, and if so, how many
                advances should we start with? Also, what will the standard advance
                for the adventure be?

                - Clinton
              • james_nostack
                Message 7 of 21 , Dec 18, 2004
                  Feel free to make your own characters! They should have something to
                  do with the Ammeni occupation of Zaru--either Zaru resistance, Ammeni
                  sympathizers, double agents, freelance poisoners, slaves caught in the
                  middle, whatever. (I'll provide more details when I have more of a
                  chance to think.)

                  Characters should be posted in the TSoY folder on the Indie-Netgaming
                  Yahoo Group by Christmas:

                  Given the guidelines in the text, and since I don't want people to
                  whiff too badly, let's give the characters 10 advances to start with.
                  Standard advance for later improvement (if it occurs) will be 10 XP.

                  Details on advances, cultures, and so on can be found here:
                  http://www.anvilwerks.com/tsoy/

                  --- In indie-netgaming@yahoogroups.com, "Clinton R. Nixon"
                  <crnixon@a...> wrote:

                  > So, James - are we making our own characters, and if so, how many
                  > advances should we start with? Also, what will the standard advance
                  > for the adventure be?
                  >
                  > - Clinton
                • J B Bell
                  Message 8 of 21 , Dec 18, 2004
                    Is this game full yet? I just ordered the printed rules this week and
                    would really love to have a go at it.

                    --JB
                  • james_nostack
                    Message 9 of 21 , Dec 19, 2004
                      So far as I know, the game is not full. In fact we don't even have a
                      headcount. Or a plot! But those details are for other, lesser games.

                      Requirements for play:
                      1. Upload a character to the TSoY folder on
                      http://games.groups.yahoo.com/groups/indie-netgaming/files

                      2. Show up at 9 PM EST on December 27, at the #tsoy room on the
                      linuxguy.magicstar.net server. (If anyone wants to move that time,
                      better speak up right away!)

                      --- In indie-netgaming@yahoogroups.com, J B Bell <tquidca@g...> wrote:
                      > Is this game full yet? I just ordered the printed rules this week and
                      > would really love to have a go at it.
                      >
                      > --JB
                    • panda_alchemist
                      Message 10 of 21 , Dec 22, 2004
                        --- In indie-netgaming@yahoogroups.com, "james_nostack"
                        <james_nostack@h...> wrote:
                        <snip>
                        > Characters should be posted in the TSoY folder on the Indie-Netgaming
                        > Yahoo Group by Christmas:

                        Workin' on this now! Question, though: the example character there has
                        "Skills" listed; I assume these are Abilities? Is there a mechanical
                        difference between these and what's listed in the online manual?

                        --anonymouse/michael