Children of the North

  • Loki
    Message 1 of 25 , Dec 1, 2004
      What's going on, game-wise, on Friday and Saturday? The newsletter isn't
      much help...

      I'm considering doing a one-shot of this:
      http://xiombrag.tripod.com/children_of_the_north.rtf

      The game focuses on play heroes that are avatars of a given culture.
      Here's the blurb from the RTF for those who don't want to download it at
      the moment:

      For years, periodically, the Lich-Lord has been sending waves and waves of
      undead into civilized lands. Every century or so, he is beat back, only to
      come back with a new army of undead in the next century. So it has been
      for time immemorial.

      However, despite the setbacks that this situation has caused, civilization
      has become more and more sophisticated over time, and several great
      civilizations have clawed their way into the light. And this time, they're
      taking the fight back to the Lich-Lord.

      Normally, the thick ever-shifting glaciers surrounding the Isle of the
      Lich-Lord have prevented ships from getting close enough to do anything to
      the Lich-Lord. His own armies just walk on the ocean floor. But recent
      innovations in fire-magick have made the invasion possible.

      The combined might of several civilizations is involved in this assault --
      mass armies, all coordinating.

      You, a great hero, have been chosen by your culture to be part of a
      special strike team. It is your job, along with other heroes chosen by
      their respective cultures, to find and destroy the Lich-King himself.

      This has been made complicated by an unusual discovery: The Isle of the
      Lich-King has a living population. These people love their undead king,
      and gladly give their dead up to him, in return for the protections of his
      magick. Through the Lich-King's necromancy and other magicks, the
      "Children of the North" (as they call themselves) have a utopian society,
      with very little conflict and a high quality of living, dedicated mostly
      to producing brilliant works of art.

      The Children of the North generally disapprove of the Lich-King's periodic
      invasions in principle, but given everything the Lich-King has given them,
      they feel they cannot argue with his one "eccentricity". They admit to
      being surprised that there is anyone living south of them at all...

      --
      Kirt "Loki" Dankmyer -- http://ivanhoeunbound.com -- xiomBRAG on AIM
      cats * hats * RPGs * love * Eris * Agent Patriot * anime * Dada * poetry
      Message 2 of 25 , Dec 1, 2004
        > Elkaru sees honesty as a
        > good thing, but too much of a good thing can be bad in the long run. So
        > he's sympathetic to the Sherezak modus operandi: His perspective is that
        > sometimes, in order to preserve the culture, you need people who don't
        > follow it fully. That is, in order to make it more possible for future
        > generations to remain honest, someone has to lie.

        Gennadi thinks: "Thank Andaras, another sane cousin."

        --
        Doyce Testerman
        smarter@...http://www.average-bear.com
        Message 3 of 25 , Dec 2, 2004
          >From: Doyce Testerman <doyce.testerman@...>
          >
          > > Elkaru sees honesty as a
          > > good thing, but too much of a good thing can be bad in the long run. So
          > > he's sympathetic to the Sherezak modus operandi: His perspective is that
          > > sometimes, in order to preserve the culture, you need people who don't
          > > follow it fully. That is, in order to make it more possible for future
          > > generations to remain honest, someone has to lie.
          >
          >Gennadi thinks: "Thank Andaras, another sane cousin."

          LOL. OK, the honesty issue just took on a whole new aspect for this game.
          :-)

          Message 4 of 25 , Dec 2, 2004
            >From: Loki <xiombarg@...>

            > > Does that all help or make things worse? :-)
            >
            >A little of both... :)

            Good.

            To set Elkaru up, the action of the game is set way up at he source of the
            river that Sherezak sits upon. It's a camp of Kaitaini who employ the local
            Rhiani togo flower hunting. Why is Elkaru heading up the river?

            Mike
          • Loki
            Message 5 of 25 , Dec 2, 2004
              > To set Elkaru up, the action of the game is set way up at he source of the
              > river that Sherezak sits upon. It's a camp of Kaitaini who employ the local
              > Rhiani togo flower hunting. Why is Elkaru heading up the river?

              Is there a good Shadow World resource online you can point me to? I
              remember a bit about my own culture, but I don't remember anything about
              the Kaitaini, which might help me to figure out a reason to be there.

              I mean, I can go with the "looking for women" standard excuse, but I'm not
              sure if that works here...

              *digs around on the Wiki*

              Actually, given the Kaitaini are Lann and Shay, assuming there's any women
              in the camp at all, Elkaru might be interested in the women indeed,
              perhaps even doing some recruiting for the Inis cult.

              --
              Kirt "Loki" Dankmyer -- http://ivanhoeunbound.com -- xiomBRAG on AIM
              cats * hats * RPGs * love * Eris * Agent Patriot * anime * Dada * poetry
              "Only ONE MAN can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me!" -Death
            • Shreyas Sampat
              Message 6 of 25 , Dec 3, 2004
                Man, this looks like fun. If only I wasn't going to a concert tonight...

                On Wed, 1 Dec 2004 19:26:17 -0600 (CST), Loki <xiombarg@...> wrote:

                > What's going on, game-wise, on Friday and Saturday? The newsletter isn't
                > much help...
                >
                > I'm considering doing a one-shot of this:
                > http://xiombrag.tripod.com/children_of_the_north.rtf
                >
                > The game focuses on play heroes that are avatars of a given culture.
                > Here's the blurb from the RTF for those who don't want to download it at
                > the moment:
                >
                > For years, periodically, the Lich-Lord has been sending waves and waves of
                > undead into civilized lands. Every century or so, he is beat back, only to
                > come back with a new army of undead in the next century. So it has been
                > for time immemorial.
                >
                > However, despite the setbacks that this situation has caused, civilization
                > has become more and more sophisticated over time, and several great
                > civilizations have clawed their way into the light. And this time, they're
                > taking the fight back to the Lich-Lord.
                >
                > Normally, the thick ever-shifting glaciers surrounding the Isle of the
                > Lich-Lord have prevented ships from getting close enough to do anything to
                > the Lich-Lord. His own armies just walk on the ocean floor. But recent
                > innovations in fire-magick have made the invasion possible.
                >
                > The combined might of several civilizations is involved in this assault --
                > mass armies, all coordinating.
                >
                > You, a great hero, have been chosen by your culture to be part of a
                > special strike team. It is your job, along with other heroes chosen by
                > their respective cultures, to find and destroy the Lich-King himself.
                >
                > This has been made complicated by an unusual discovery: The Isle of the
                > Lich-King has a living population. These people love their undead king,
                > and gladly give their dead up to him, in return for the protections of his
                > magick. Through the Lich-King's necromancy and other magicks, the
                > "Children of the North" (as they call themselves) have a utopian society,
                > with very little conflict and a high quality of living, dedicated mostly
                > to producing brilliant works of art.
                >
                > The Children of the North generally disapprove of the Lich-King's periodic
                > invasions in principle, but given everything the Lich-King has given them,
                > they feel they cannot argue with his one "eccentricity". They admit to
                > being surprised that there is anyone living south of them at all...
                >
                > --
                > Kirt "Loki" Dankmyer -- http://ivanhoeunbound.com -- xiomBRAG on AIM
                > cats * hats * RPGs * love * Eris * Agent Patriot * anime * Dada * poetry
                > "Only ONE MAN can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me!" -Death

                Shreyas
                livejournal:unrequitedthai:AIM
              • Loki
                Message 7 of 25 , Dec 3, 2004
                  > Man, this looks like fun. If only I wasn't going to a concert tonight...

                  Well, since no one has expressed any interest but you so far, perhaps
                  Saturday. :)

                  Message 8 of 25 , Dec 3, 2004
                    >From: Loki <xiombarg@...>
                    >
                    > > Man, this looks like fun. If only I wasn't going to a concert tonight...
                    >
                    >Well, since no one has expressed any interest but you so far, perhaps
                    >Saturday. :)

                    Tempting. I do like the idea of the game, and I might be able to do
                    something on Saturday...

                    No promises, but if I can find some spare time, when should I schedule it
                    for?

                    Mike
                  • Loki
                    Message 9 of 25 , Dec 3, 2004
                      > No promises, but if I can find some spare time, when should I schedule it
                      > for?

                      I'd prefer Saturday afternoon (say 4pm Eastern) but I could do evening as
                      well.

                      Message 10 of 25 , Dec 3, 2004
                        >From: Loki <xiombarg@...>
                        >
                        >I'd prefer Saturday afternoon (say 4pm Eastern) but I could do evening as
                        >well.

                        That's definitely not impossible. Hmmm.