RE: [indie-netgaming] I'll be there tonight

    Message 1 of 24 , Jun 1, 2004
      So, half way through my mail today (Teusday), I'm thinking, "Hey, it's first
      night of the week, HQ night tonight."

      Man, I'm an idiot sometimes.

      You may all now berate me.

      Would people like a make up session, or shall we just reconvene next Monday?

      Also, apparently Brand tried to post a message but couldn't get it across
      here. Basically he said that he had to bow out of the game for at least a
      while due to his impending doom... I mean marriage. Anyhow, he was quite
      complimentary to us all, and I look forward to him rejoining us if/when he
      can.

      Til then that leaves an opening for another player if somebody wants to join
      in. Auxilliary players get first choice, but there's every reason to think
      that a new player might be able to slip in. Either way, let me know if
      you're interested.

    • Chris Edwards
      Message 2 of 24 , Jun 1, 2004
        > You may all now berate me.

        Pass. It would be like shooting, um, monkeys in a barrel.

        > Would people like a make up session, or shall we just reconvene
        next Monday?

        I could do Wed. or Thu. night if that works for everyone else. If
        not, Monday is fine.

        -Chris
      • Per Fischer
        Message 3 of 24 , Jun 1, 2004
          Hi,

          Did anyone play Sorcerer in IRC mode? How did it go, what about dice
          and is there anybody out there willing to give it another go?

          Per
          Message 4 of 24 , Jun 1, 2004
            No problem Mike, needed the sleep last night anyway, and it gives me more time to straighten out my character.

            Next Monday is fine with me.

            Bob

            Mike Holmes <homeydont@...> wrote:
            So, half way through my mail today (Teusday), I'm thinking, "Hey, it's first
            night of the week, HQ night tonight."

            Man, I'm an idiot sometimes.

            You may all now berate me.

            Would people like a make up session, or shall we just reconvene next Monday?

            Also, apparently Brand tried to post a message but couldn't get it across
            here. Basically he said that he had to bow out of the game for at least a
            while due to his impending doom... I mean marriage. Anyhow, he was quite
            complimentary to us all, and I look forward to him rejoining us if/when he
            can.

            Til then that leaves an opening for another player if somebody wants to join
            in. Auxilliary players get first choice, but there's every reason to think
            that a new player might be able to slip in. Either way, let me know if
            you're interested.

            http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/ofVplB/TM

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            Member of Yahoo's indie-netgaming group.

            Message 5 of 24 , Jun 2, 2004
              >From: Per Fischer <fischer@...>
              >
              >Hi,
              >
              >Did anyone play Sorcerer in IRC mode? How did it go, what about dice
              >and is there anybody out there willing to give it another go?

              We played some PBEM once a long time ago. It went very well, I thought,
              short as it was.

              I was prepared to play in another game of Sorcerer in IRC, but that fell
              through after chargen.

              So, I can't report any good news, myself. But, that said, I don't think that
              it was Sorcerer at all that was the problem. I think Sorcerer would work
              brilliantly in IRC, actually. We've played other games like Sorcerer in
              terms of dice, and with the bot we have, it works just fine.

              I might be interested in playing in a Sorcerer game, but I'd need more info
              before committing. Like who are you, Peter? :-)

            • Per Fischer
              Message 6 of 24 , Jun 3, 2004
                RE: [indie-netgaming] Sorcerer
                Hi,

                Thanks for the response. I am still waiting for my Sorcerer book (due today), so no big hurry ;)

                My name's Per, I live in Edinburgh, Scotland, but was born in Denmark. I am a journalist.
                Started RP in a late age in 1986, with D&D and quickly moved to CoC, and eventually gobbled up any new system I could get my hands on. Storyteller was a favorite for a while, I loved Mage 1ed, and I have run Shadowrun, GURPS, Falkenstein, you name it :)
                I have been a keen scenario writer on the Danish RPG scene since 1992, and was the lead writer on a computer RPG (with a real GM) that sadly got sold off and closed by the new owners. The game was called Aeropa: Fall of the Covenant, and I wrote the setting as well. I have of course fiddled with my own game designs as well ;)
                Recently I have discovered The Forge and Indy roleplaying, especially Narrative gaming, and I am keen to learn more.
                My online RP experience is MUSH a long time ago and OpenRPG, where I have played in a couple of games. But I don't need the OpenRPG interface, which seems more targeted at Gamist RP.
                Regarding the dice roller, I am on a Mac with OS X, so I guess I will only be able to use the "in-house" dice roller? How does it work?

                So, that's me in a few words, hope it was useful :)

                Per

                Message 7 of 24 , Jun 3, 2004
                  >From: Per Fischer <fischer@...>

                  >My name's Per, I live in Edinburgh, Scotland, but was born in Denmark. I am
                  >a journalist.

                  Nice to meet you.

                  >Started RP in a late age in 1986, with D&D and quickly moved to CoC, and
                  >eventually gobbled up any new system I could get my hands on. Storyteller
                  >was a favorite for a while, I loved Mage 1ed, and I have run Shadowrun,
                  >GURPS, Falkenstein, you name it :)

                  Chivalry & Sorcery? TFOS? Synnibar? Zero? ;-)

                  >Recently I have discovered The Forge and Indy roleplaying, especially
                  >Narrative gaming, and I am keen to learn more.

                  Narrativism! Sorry to be pedantic, but all RPGs have Narratives. Few support
                  Narrativism in play. Important not to confuse the two.

                  >My online RP experience is MUSH a long time ago and OpenRPG, where I have
                  >played in a couple of games. But I don't need the OpenRPG interface, which
                  >seems more targeted at Gamist RP.
                  >Regarding the dice roller, I am on a Mac with OS X, so I guess I will only
                  >be able to use the "in-house" dice roller? How does it work?

                  I'm on OSX at home when I play as well. Doesn't matter at all what platform
                  you're on, the dicebot is on the server played on, so it just produces text
                  no matter what platorm you operate on. All you need is an IRC client. I use
                  Snak for my Mac, and would recomend it as stable and funcitonal. You can try
                  it for free, but there is a charge to keep it (or you can just re-download
                  it if you're the unethical type). There are probably others available as
                  well.

                  If nothing else you can always play via browser. Anybody have the link to
                  that?

                • Per Fischer
                  Message 8 of 24 , Jun 3, 2004
                    Nice ti meet you too, Mike.

                    Got my Sorcerer copy today, reading through it, I like it. Strike
                    that, it's darn brilliant.

                    >Chivalry & Sorcery? TFOS? Synnibar? Zero? ;-)

                    Nope, sorry, I had to rely in those days on what the local game shops
                    could provide (but I got Mike Pondsmith to mail me a copy of Theatrix
                    in 1995 after I was his host at a Danish convention, if that helps ;)
                    But Pendragon, SW D6, BESM, 2020, Kult (interviewed the authors, a
                    Swedish couple), Earthdawn, Dark Conspiracy, Conspiracy X and a
                    handful of Danish games.
                    I don't think it says much about me as a roleplayer, really, I was
                    never pleased with any of them, except maybe Pendragon, which was
                    well done and coherent. I did play as a player in a D&D 3rd campaign
                    a couple of years ago, but that was awful. I hated it, I am not too
                    comfortable with that kind of fantasy, whatever that is.

                    I have heard of Zero mentioned, but never Synnibar.

                    >Narrativism! Sorry to be pedantic, but all RPGs have Narratives. Few support
                    >Narrativism in play. Important not to confuse the two.

                    Well, thanks for correcting me. I am still slowly trying to learn the
                    Forge lingo ;)

                    >I'm on OSX at home when I play as well. Doesn't matter at all what platform
                    >you're on, the dicebot is on the server played on, so it just produces text
                    >no matter what platorm you operate on. All you need is an IRC client. I use
                    >Snak for my Mac, and would recomend it as stable and funcitonal. You can try
                    >it for free, but there is a charge to keep it (or you can just re-download
                    >it if you're the unethical type). There are probably others available as
                    >well.

                    It's ok, I've got something called IRCle, seems to work OK.

                    Then there is the ever-present time factor, as I am GMT and most of
                    you guys are probably in the US somewhere.

                    Well, back to the reading, I am already regretting that I didn't
                    order the source books as well :)

                    Per
                    Message 9 of 24 , Jun 4, 2004
                      >From: Per Fischer <fischer@...>
                      >
                      > >Chivalry & Sorcery? TFOS? Synnibar? Zero? ;-)
                      >
                      >Nope, sorry, I had to rely in those days on what the local game shops
                      >could provide (but I got Mike Pondsmith to mail me a copy of Theatrix
                      >in 1995 after I was his host at a Danish convention, if that helps ;)
                      >But Pendragon, SW D6, BESM, 2020, Kult (interviewed the authors, a
                      >Swedish couple), Earthdawn, Dark Conspiracy, Conspiracy X and a
                      >handful of Danish games.

                      I was just kidding. But it's interesting to see that you have Theatrix
                      experience.

                      >I don't think it says much about me as a roleplayer, really, I was
                      >never pleased with any of them, except maybe Pendragon, which was
                      >well done and coherent. I did play as a player in a D&D 3rd campaign
                      >a couple of years ago, but that was awful. I hated it, I am not too
                      >comfortable with that kind of fantasy, whatever that is.

                      I'm going to go out on a limg and guess that you're going to like it around
                      here.

                      >I have heard of Zero mentioned, but never Synnibar.

                      The World of Synnibar, I mentioned in jest as it is widely regarded as the
                      "Plan Nine From Outer Space" of RPGs. If that doesn't register, what it
                      means is that it's bandied about as the worst RPG ever - it's not, there are
                      worse that I could point out. But it's bad in such smashing form as to be a
                      classic in it's own right (though deadEarth is a more recent contender for
                      the title). I'd actually have been extrememly surprised if you'd run it.

                      >It's ok, I've got something called IRCle, seems to work OK.

                      Perfect then. Dice will be no problem. Just ask about the syntax for getting
                      a roll when you get online. Check in there any time, people are there at all
                      sorts of odd times.

                      >Then there is the ever-present time factor, as I am GMT and most of
                      >you guys are probably in the US somewhere.

                      That's somewhat more of a problem. Usually that means playing on weekend
                      days. Players here start at maybe noon, and you start at 5 PM or so
                      (sometimes earlier). I might be able to do that, myself, though not every
                      weekend.

                      Actually it's a lot easier than trying to organize a game with the Aussies
                      and Kiwis we have here. :-)

                      Looking to buy a house? Get informed with the Home Buying Guide from MSN
                      House & Home. http://coldwellbanker.msn.com/
                    • Matt
                      Message 10 of 24 , Jun 5, 2004
                        >Then there is the ever-present time factor, as I am GMT and most of
                        >you guys are probably in the US somewhere.

                        Not all of us. Some who lurk (like me) are UK based too.

                        -Matt

                        http://www.realms.org.uk/
                        Roleplaying, games, reviews, articles and tat.
                      • Per Fischer
                        Message 11 of 24 , Jun 7, 2004
                          Hi Matt,

                          Good to hear that :)

                          So, are you interested in an IRC version of Sorcerer? I haven't got any specific setting in mind, but Clinton Nixon's Matrix/cyberpunk setting Inside (http://www.chimera.info/daedalus/articles/winter2004/inside.html) look really promising. That could be a good starting point.

                          Per

                          >Not all of us. Some who lurk (like me) are UK based too.
                          >
                          >-Matt
                        • thekrown
                          Message 12 of 24 , Jun 7, 2004
                            Hello.

                            I'm assuming you've read the Forge, but in case you've missed it,
                            Doyce's collection of rulings, http://random.average-
                            bear.com/pmwiki.php/Sorcerer/HomePage is a fantastic resource for
                            any minor questions you may have about the game's rules.

                            I've ran a few one-shots over IRC, and the combat is very well
                            suited to IRC because of the action-order system.

                            --- In indie-netgaming@yahoogroups.com, Per Fischer <fischer@f...>
                            wrote:
                            > Hi Matt,
                            >
                            > Good to hear that :)
                            >
                            > So, are you interested in an IRC version of Sorcerer? I haven't
                            got any specific setting in mind, but Clinton Nixon's
                            Matrix/cyberpunk setting Inside
                            (http://www.chimera.info/daedalus/articles/winter2004/inside.html)
                            look really promising. That could be a good starting point.

                            > Per
                            >

                            > >Not all of us. Some who lurk (like me) are UK based too.
                            > >
                            > >-Matt
                          • the GreyOrm
                            Message 13 of 24 , Jun 7, 2004
                              I am so in. Just let me know when and where.
                              I'll have to really bribe the wife to get it, but damnit, I want to play
                              Sorcerer.

                              - Rev. Ravenscrye Grey Daegmorgan

                              Ware the raiders!
                              ORX sample chapter now available.
                              orx.daegmorgan.net
                            • Per Fischer
                              Message 14 of 24 , Jun 7, 2004
                                Hi,

                                Yes, I know (and use) the wiki page you mention, it's brilliant, and combined with the search function in the Forge forums, you have the possibility of getting an answer to all your questions. And if not, you can just ask there, it's great.

                                Per

                                Message 15 of 24 , Jun 9, 2004
                                  Well, as I'd definately be up for it anytime, it looks like you
                                  already have a willing group.
                                • Lee
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Jul 17, 2004
                                    If anyone is running, or planing to run Sorcerer, I'd really like to
                                    get my first game.

                                    Cheers ZenDog
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Jul 17, 2004
                                      >From: "Lee" <leereynoldson@...>
                                      >
                                      >If anyone is running, or planing to run Sorcerer, I'd really like to
                                      >get my first game.

                                      I might be interested depending on details.

                                      I don't want to discorage you at all, but I've been in four attempts to
                                      start up Sorcerer now, in various online media, and none of them have
                                      produced much.

                                      Let's see:
                                      Gothic Fantasy
                                      Beasts of Austria
                                      Roger Dean Psychedelia
                                      Van Hellsing Vampires

                                      All really great concepts that people somehow couldn't stay committed to.

                                      What I would say is that I think that if you intend to run Sorcerer online,
                                      be prepared for a lot of hard work, and be committed to seeing it through.
                                      Maybe it's just coincidence that these all fell apart, but there might be
                                      more to it than that.

                                      Overwhelmed by debt? Find out how to �Dig Yourself Out of Debt� from MSN
                                      Money. http://special.msn.com/money/0407debt.armx
                                    • the GreyOrm
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Jul 17, 2004
                                        I'm willing to run a couple of one-shots of Sorcerer on #indierpgs a couple
                                        of nights, but my time requirements are rather strict. It would have to be
                                        after 8-9 Central time. I'm willing to play late, as well (as in: to
                                        midnight or one AM).

                                        I've made this offer a couple of times, but most folks aren't into that
                                        schedule, so nothing has yet come of it. It's still out there, though.

                                        Message 19 of 24 , Jul 17, 2004
                                          --- In indie-netgaming@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Holmes"
                                          <homeydont@h...> wrote:
                                          > >From: "Lee" <leereynoldson@h...>
                                          > >
                                          > >If anyone is running, or planing to run Sorcerer, I'd really like
                                          > >get my first game.
                                          >
                                          > I might be interested depending on details.
                                          >
                                          > I don't want to discorage you at all, but I've been in four
                                          attempts to
                                          > start up Sorcerer now, in various online media, and none of them
                                          have
                                          > produced much.
                                          >
                                          > Let's see:
                                          > Gothic Fantasy
                                          > Beasts of Austria
                                          > Roger Dean Psychedelia
                                          > Van Hellsing Vampires
                                          >
                                          > All really great concepts that people somehow couldn't stay
                                          committed to.

                                          > What I would say is that I think that if you intend to run
                                          Sorcerer online,
                                          > be prepared for a lot of hard work, and be committed to seeing it
                                          through.
                                          > Maybe it's just coincidence that these all fell apart, but there
                                          might be
                                          > more to it than that.
                                          >
                                          > Mike

                                          Cheers for the heads up Mike.

                                          I was hoping to play rather than GM (having never played before)
                                          vanilla modern Sorcerer preferably (cos I know once I get going it
                                          will be Sorcerer and Sword all the way).
                                        • Lee
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Jul 17, 2004
                                            --- In indie-netgaming@yahoogroups.com, "the GreyOrm" <greyorm@d...>
                                            wrote:
                                            > I'm willing to run a couple of one-shots of Sorcerer on #indierpgs
                                            a couple
                                            > of nights, but my time requirements are rather strict. It would
                                            have to be
                                            > after 8-9 Central time. I'm willing to play late, as well (as in:
                                            > midnight or one AM).
                                            >
                                            > I've made this offer a couple of times, but most folks aren't into
                                            that
                                            > schedule, so nothing has yet come of it. It's still out there,
                                            though.

                                            > - Rev. Ravenscrye Grey Daegmorgan

                                            Let me work out what that is in GMT :D

                                            Would it work with one player or would we need to recruit a couple
                                            more?
                                          • samachadreal
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Jul 18, 2004
                                              --- In indie-netgaming@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Holmes" <homeydont@h...> wrote:
                                              > >From: "Lee" <leereynoldson@h...>
                                              > >
                                              > >If anyone is running, or planing to run Sorcerer, I'd really like to
                                              > >get my first game.
                                              >
                                              > I might be interested depending on details.
                                              >
                                              > I don't want to discorage you at all, but I've been in four attempts to
                                              > start up Sorcerer now, in various online media, and none of them have
                                              > produced much.
                                              >
                                              > Let's see:
                                              > Gothic Fantasy
                                              > Beasts of Austria
                                              > Roger Dean Psychedelia
                                              > Van Hellsing Vampires
                                              >
                                              > All really great concepts that people somehow couldn't stay committed to.
                                              >
                                              > What I would say is that I think that if you intend to run Sorcerer online,
                                              > be prepared for a lot of hard work, and be committed to seeing it through.
                                              > Maybe it's just coincidence that these all fell apart, but there might be
                                              > more to it than that.

                                              Well Lxndr's Razing Arizona game is still going on RPOL from when we started it way back
                                              in....um...wow, last July. (I'm in it and I didn't even realize it had been that long.) We're a
                                              pretty dedicated group. I'd like to run Sorcerer online also in a play by post or IRC. I
                                              wouldn't mind running it over IRC but I work second shift (3:30pm to 2:00 am Central)
                                              Except for fridays and weekends. Friday is my live game so that's not a good night unless
                                              we play after 11pm.

                                              I agree that it will take a lot of commitment from everyone playing because the way things
                                              get woven together if someone drops its a death knell for the game. Razing survived it
                                              once, but he dropped out really early.

                                              In answer to the Central to GMT thing Central is -6 hrs GMT.

                                              Trevis
                                              Message 22 of 24 , Jul 19, 2004
                                                >From: "samachadreal" <tumblebear@...>

                                                > > What I would say is that I think that if you intend to run Sorcerer
                                                >online,
                                                > > be prepared for a lot of hard work, and be committed to seeing it
                                                >through.
                                                > > Maybe it's just coincidence that these all fell apart, but there might
                                                >be
                                                > > more to it than that.
                                                >
                                                >Well Lxndr's Razing Arizona game is still going on RPOL from when we
                                                >started it way back
                                                >in....um...wow, last July.

                                                Hmmm. Maybe it's just me somehow. ;-)

                                                >(I'm in it and I didn't even realize it had been that long.) We're a
                                                >pretty dedicated group.

                                                Yes, I think that this game should be a model for people who want to play
                                                Sorcerer online. Especially the discussion up front that, I think, really
                                                got people properly invested in the game.

                                                Message 23 of 24 , Jul 19, 2004
                                                  >From: "Lee" <leereynoldson@...>

                                                  >I was hoping to play rather than GM (having never played before)
                                                  >vanilla modern Sorcerer preferably (cos I know once I get going it
                                                  >will be Sorcerer and Sword all the way).

                                                  Seems an odd thing to say - if you "know" where you'll be playing in the
                                                  end, then why not go there first? Why the preliminary? There's nothing
                                                  inherently important about playing in the example setting from the book. I'd
                                                  skip it, unless it really speaks to you directly.

                                                  This is an important thing about Sorcerer, the work up should make you
                                                  really want to play.