Playing games w/o buying the rules

  • yahoo@jb.eschatek.com
    Message 1 of 21 , Sep 10 9:14 AM
      I gotta agree with Mike as far as the ownership of rules for tabletop
      play.

      Online is a little trickier, perhaps, since telling someone about the
      rules of a game gives them a copy, functionally. I've started a thread
      on the Forge about this because I think it's of general interest.

      --JB
      Message 2 of 21 , Sep 10 11:03 AM
        I agree with the outcome of said thread. Never really disagreed.

        My point was certainly not that I would have an objection to players copying
        their material, but in doing so myself. Especially here in a site that,
        while nominally about simply playing, still has a bias towards certain games
        that arespawned from a site with a certain agenda.

        My point is that I feel that if I were to send (or recieve for that matter)
        a free copy out that I might be doing something that they wouldn't want to
        see happen. It's not my preferences that I'm worried about, it's Clinton's
        for example. He might object. Not that I think he would (he's smart enough
        to see the benefits of play here and elsewhere), but I'd probably at the
        very least ask at first. And I'd certainly refrain if he said no.

        Just how I operate.

        Anyhow, JB, please go ahead and send the Universalis notes out to the
        players. I would ask that anyone who gets these to please be careful in
        further distribution. Just paranioa on my part, and I trust you all. But I
        just feel better saying it.

        That all out of the way, what's up for next week? I thought that Orx went
        OK, but that we didn't get too far. We could continue with the trek into the
        Black Bog. OTOH, Bananna II is on the slate, and Bob did reserve it.

        What would people prefer to play? You know, it's too bad we don't have
        enough people here for more than one Monday night session. Any thought to
        more play at a different time, or starting up more PBEMs?

        Mike

        Message 3 of 21 , Sep 10 11:43 AM
          On Tue, Sep 10, 2002 at 01:03:29PM -0500, Mike Holmes wrote:
          > I agree with the outcome of said thread. Never really disagreed.
          >
          > My point was certainly not that I would have an objection to players copying
          > their material, but in doing so myself. Especially here in a site that,
          > while nominally about simply playing, still has a bias towards certain games
          > that arespawned from a site with a certain agenda.

          Very circumspect, Mike. :) I was certainly clear that you weren't
          making general pronouncements; my intention was to enrich the discussion
          by getting a broader audience than this list, not to try to come to a
          Definitive Answer.

          > [Mike's totally reasonable personal stance deleted for brevity]
          >
          > Anyhow, JB, please go ahead and send the Universalis notes out to the
          > players. I would ask that anyone who gets these to please be careful in
          > further distribution. Just paranioa on my part, and I trust you all. But I
          > just feel better saying it.

          Yes, I think it's important to be on record about this. So, those of
          you who want the summary, since I'm not clear on who the players are
          right now, please email me at cipher aat eschatek dot com and I will
          fire it off to you.

          > [deletia]
          > What would people prefer to play? You know, it's too bad we don't have
          > enough people here for more than one Monday night session. Any thought to
          > more play at a different time, or starting up more PBEMs?

          Well, I'm up for whenever, particularly Universalis since it handles
          online nicely and doesn't require prep. The list has 25 members, which
          says to me that perhaps some folks aren't well-served by just Monday, or
          we might actually have enough for multiple concurrent sessions on that
          night.

          Hey, you lurkers! What about it?

          As for PBEM, I'm finding it difficult to work with even one of those and
          keep up continuity and commitment. So I'm interested in what people do,
          but I don't think I'll be doing it anymore after the current games I'm
          in.

          --JB
          Message 4 of 21 , Sep 10 12:46 PM

            Well, we could always try for another night as well.

            We've had to do that with most games...OtherKind and the first Pool:BR...

            Maybe even set up two nights for alternating games.

            I'm up for the Pool: Banana Republic... and I'm really up for Universalis!

            That should be a great game for the indie netgamers... no GM, players variable, and can join in at any time they arrive.

            Bob McNamee

             yahoo@... wrote:

            On Tue, Sep 10, 2002 at 01:03:29PM -0500, Mike Holmes wrote:
            > I agree with the outcome of said thread. Never really disagreed.
            >
            > My point was certainly not that I would have an objection to players copying
            > their material, but in doing so myself. Especially here in a site that,
            > while nominally about simply playing, still has a bias towards certain games
            > that arespawned from a site with a certain agenda.

            Very circumspect, Mike.  :)  I was certainly clear that you weren't
            making general pronouncements; my intention was to enrich the discussion
            by getting a broader audience than this list, not to try to come to a
            Definitive Answer.

            > [Mike's totally reasonable personal stance deleted for brevity]
            >
            > Anyhow, JB, please go ahead and send the Universalis notes out to the
            > players. I would ask that anyone who gets these to please be careful in
            > further distribution. Just paranioa on my part, and I trust you all. But I
            > just feel better saying it.

            Yes, I think it's important to be on record about this.  So, those of
            you who want the summary, since I'm not clear on who the players are
            right now, please email me at cipher aat eschatek dot com and I will
            fire it off to you.

            > [deletia]
            > What would people prefer to play? You know, it's too bad we don't have
            > enough people here for more than one Monday night session. Any thought to
            > more play at a different time, or starting up more PBEMs?

            Well, I'm up for whenever, particularly Universalis since it handles
            online nicely and doesn't require prep.  The list has 25 members, which
            says to me that perhaps some folks aren't well-served by just Monday, or
            we might actually have enough for multiple concurrent sessions on that
            night.

            Hey, you lurkers!  What about it?

            As for PBEM, I'm finding it difficult to work with even one of those and
            keep up continuity and commitment.  So I'm interested in what people do,
            but I don't think I'll be doing it anymore after the current games I'm
            in.

            --JB

            September 11, 2001
            Remember the Fallen...
            "FDNY - They did what We would" - Liam Carroll, firefighter

            visit Bob at -

            http://www.equinoxartstudios.com   business  http://www.geocities.com/bob_mcnamee/   personal

            or Pat at - http://www.feyfolkcrafts.com

            Yahoo! - We Remember