Doomchaser playtest

  • Chris Edwards
    Message 1 of 19 , Jul 12, 2003
      I'm back from my mountain trek and ready to run some Doomchaser. I
      need revised characters from those involved so I can get some prep
      in before play. Unless there are any scheduling conflicts I'm going
      to start the first session on Tuesday so we can get in on some other
      games on Monday.

      Any questions or comments on the revised rules? I'll work on posting
      a revised sample character this evening.

      -Chris
    • Nathan E Banks
      • Nathan E Banks

          Saturday, July 12, 2003, 4:06:50 PM, Chris wrote:

          CE> I'm back from my mountain trek and ready to run some Doomchaser.
          CE> need revised characters from those involved so I can get some
          prep
          CE> in before play.

          Name: Lao
          Race: From the city of Shu-chen in Khitai
          God: Ancestors

          skin, slanted eyes, sharp features, high forhead, and oval
          face. Lao wears sandals, tied leggings, and a loose tunic
          with knot-buttons. On his head is a versatile conicle straw
          hat. He carries a yard-long double-edged straight sword.

          Background: Lao (once Lao Hou, before his clan name was
          stripped from him) hails from the far eastern land of
          Khitai. Like all of his countrymen, Lao is obsessively
          polite, but continually maneuvers to protect and increase
          his own social standing. Lao follows the Way, an obscure
          discipline that is an artifact of the long-dead Khari
          civilization. A follower of the way rests in the moment,
          seeking the correct course of action hidden in his
          situation. For this reason followers of the Way often seem
          impulsive, unpredictible, even irrational. It was just such
          behavior that resulted in Lao's banishment from Shu-chen and
          his long journey to Hyborea.

          Experience: 0
          Wealth: 0
          Lust for Life: 7

          Attributes: Athletic (1), Extremely Polite (1), Skilled Political
          Mover (1)
          Careers: Swordsman (3)
          Drives: Follower of the Way (4)
          Relationships: Works for Mercenary Captain Koranus (1)
          Special:

          Doom:
          Strife:

          Equipment: Jade Dragon Sword - 2
          Clothes (Sandals, leggings, tunic, straw hat)

          CE> Any questions or comments on the revised rules? I'll work on
          posting
          CE> a revised sample character this evening.

          Mostly, they're much, much, better. There's just the question
          about Pleasures I already mentioned, and one other thing about
          Doom: it's still not very clear. For example, in the section on
          Lust for Life, it says that you can roll Lust for Life dice to
          remove 1-10 Doom per die from the Doom Meter. But the Doom meter
          only has 3 levels.

          Most times, it seems like you have two separate ways of tracking
          Doom (like you do with Strife) but you call them both the Doom
          Meter. So, that's confusing. :)

          Also, you don't really say what happens when the Doom Meter is
          full, just that the character is "out of luck."

          You say: "Whenever Doom is gained in an amount equal to the
          number of dice rolled in the exchange a level is gained on the
          Doom meter."

          This sounds like you have get *exactly* as many Doom points as
          dice rolled, no more, no less. Later text seems to indicate that
          you're using the number of dice rolled as a threshold, though.

          Oh, and about Plague. There's nothing *technically* wrong with
          it, but it seems awfully easy as a tool of deprotagonization.
          For example, Lao's sword is pretty important to his character
          concept, but you could just spend some Plague points and take it
          away.

          - --
          Nathan E. Banks

          "My friend saw what I writing and says what is "doo-too". So I
          punch him in teh neck and take his wallet and keys, drive his
          car to dave and busters and spen all his money on booze and
          house of dead 3. That's what "doo-too" is, fool. I kill him and
          take his stuff."

          - Colin the Riot

        • James Beggs
          Message 4 of 19 , Jul 13, 2003
            I am running a game of Wild Talents on the internet,
            using a piece of software called OpenRPG (
            www.openrpg.com ) ; we play monday evenings currently,
            8 pm central time, but we may move it to the weekend.
            not sure yet.

            Anyway, if anyone is interested in joining us, contact
            me:

            icq: 1194239
            MSN Messenger and Email: cybermerlin2069@...
            AIM: Cybermerlin2069
            Yahoo: morfedel

            Thanks!

            http://sbc.yahoo.com
          • James Beggs
            Message 5 of 19 , Jul 13, 2003
              (this is a repost; sorry, I forgot to change the
              subject when I hit reply on another indie rpg post,
              heh)

              I run a game of Wild Talents on the internet, using a

              Message 6 of 19 , Jul 13, 2003
                Hey Nathan,

                There's no reason to keep track of pleasures. As soon as you buy
                them they translate directly into Lust for Life.

                Okay, the Doom thing. Mechanically it's fairly simple but obviously
                I'm having trouble communicating the specifics. Let's say that an
                exchange has just been declared. You, as the player, inform the
                Harbinger what you want to acomplish with the roll and how your
                character is going to try and achieve that goal. You then add up all
                the dice you have for the roll from appropriate descriptors. The
                Harbinger then tells you the exchange rating (XR) and you modify
                your die pool, subtracting the XR from your pool.

                Now, you roll the remaining dice and distribute the Hits between
                Intent and Doom. This allocation determines how successful your
                attempt was (Intent) and any aftermath or consequences of your
                attempt (Doom).

                To determine Doom gain you look at 1)the XR, 2)the number of dice
                you rolled, and 3)the number of Hits you assigned to Doom. For this
                example let us say that the exchange had an XR of 2, you rolled 5
                dice, and assigned 1 Hit to Doom. This means that you gain the full
                XR in Doom. On the Character Record those lines next to the levels
                on the Doom Gauge are meant to be used to keep track of Doom gain.
                You would mark down 2 points on the line adjacent to the level 1
                bubble.

                Now, since you rolled 5 dice and only gained 2 points of Doom you
                are still on the first level of the Doom Gauge. If that encounter
                ends with only that one roll then those two points of Doom would be
                erased. They were not enough to fill up the whole level. If the
                conflict were to continue and you once again rolled 5 dice but
                gained at least 3 more points of Doom (the total Doom for that level
                now being equal to or greater than the number of dice you rolled)
                you would fill up the 1st level of the Doom Gauge and mark off the
                bubble. The next time you gained Doom it would go into the 2nd
                level, and so on.

                Does that make sense? I know that some of the text is really hard to
                navigate, particularly without any examples.

                BTW, your character rocks the casbah. I'm really looking forward to
                this play test. :)

                -Chris
              • Chris Edwards
                Message 7 of 19 , Jul 13, 2003
                  Hey Nathan,

                  Here are some more answers. :)

                  When your character's Doom Gauge reaches maximum capacity death is
                  the inevitable result, unless you still have at least 1 Lust for
                  Life left. Once per episode you may spend Lust for Life to remove
                  Doom AFTER you have maxed out the Doom Gauge. If this happens your
                  character does not die but ends up in some less than fortuitious
                  circumstances; imprisoned, unconcious, enslaved, etc.

                  As for Plague, yes, it could be used as an agent of
                  deprotagonization either on purpose or by accident. It really exists
                  to give an actual limit to the degree that Harbinger can hassle the
                  players. The Harbinger only gains Plague points when the player uses
                  Lust for Life to remove Doom. So, Plague points exist as a currency
                  between the player and the Harbinger. If you constantly use Lust for
                  Life to remove Doom you know that you're giving the Harbinger the
                  power to hassle your character in various ways. I'm going to include
                  quite a bit of text that will be purely guidlines for the Harbinger.
                  This will include the handling of Plague points, among other things.
                  Other than that, and possibly adjusting the point costs, I'm not
                  sure what else I could do to mitigate any deprotagonizing effects.

                  -Chris
                • Nathan E Banks
                  • Chris Edwards
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jul 13, 2003
                      >Nathan wrote: Now, what happens if you only roll, say 3 dice on the
                      second roll in your example. Do you only need a total of 3 doom to go
                      up a level (one additional doom, in this case, since you already
                      have 2)?<

                      Yes, exactly. And if you only rolled one die on the next roll you
                      would automatically gain a level of Doom because the 2 points you
                      already have are equal to or greater than the number of dice you are
                      rolling.

                      -Chris
                    • Alexander Cherry
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jul 13, 2003
                        --- In indie-netgaming@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Edwards"
                        <thickenergy@y...> wrote:
                        > Yes, exactly. And if you only rolled one die on the next roll you
                        > would automatically gain a level of Doom because the 2 points you
                        > already have are equal to or greater than the number of dice you
                        are
                        > rolling.

                        In other words, "Roll Lots of Dice!" :)

                        +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

                        Here is my character, including (finally) a brief background.
                        Remember, I know very little about Hyborea, so let me know if any of
                        this is, well, contradictory, or foolhardy in a suicidal way.

                        Name: Arideus Prospero
                        Race: Nemedian, from Hanumar
                        God: Ibis

                        body or head; his skin is leathery and tanned, covered with an
                        elaborate set of arcane tattoos that cover everything but his face
                        and palms. Despite this, he takes few cares to hide his body,
                        preferring short sleeves on loose fitting shirts, and a leather kilt-
                        like skirt. He prefers to ride. He is always accompanied by a large
                        snake, which he does prefer to keep hidden in a basket when around
                        other people, to avoid being persecuted by those who would think him
                        an ally of Set.

                        Background: Arideus is the third son of Astreus Prospero, a wealthy
                        noble in the city of Hanumar. Like his father, he is member of the
                        cult of Ibis, and a worshipper of the deity. As he had no need to be
                        trained to succeed his father, he poured himself into a growing
                        obsession for knowledge. One day, Ibis visited him in a dream, and
                        told him he needed to wander the world to add breadth and depth to
                        his knowledge.

                        Somewhere along the line, Arideus grew into a sorcerer; he was (and
                        still is) tempted by forbidden knowledge, and his glimpses into the
                        Outside have gradually warped him. Once idealistic and zealous, he
                        has become secretive and driven. He has honed his skills at torture,
                        extracting information from the reticent. If not for his connection
                        to Ibis, and that god's occasional manifestation in his life, Arideus
                        might have crossed over the line. Instead, he walks it - a dangerous
                        balancing game that will eventually tumble one way or the other.

                        Experience: 0
                        Wealth: 1
                        Lust for Life: 5

                        Attributes: "Sensitive*" - 2, Royal Blood - 1
                        Careers: Sorcerer - 3, Torturer - 2
                        Drives: Knowledge - 2
                        Relationships: Caranthes, Serpent Familiar - 2, Ibis - 1
                        Special: Taint 0

                        *As a reminder, "Sensitive" refers to intuitive/mystical sensitivity.

                        Doom:
                        Strife:

                        Equipment: Extensive Arcane Tattoos - 3
                        Torturing Tools - 1
                        Five normal items yet to be determined (do I have to use this to get
                        clothing?)
                      • Chris Edwards
                        Message 11 of 19 , Jul 13, 2003
                          Bob and Trevis,

                          I still need revised characters from the you guys.

                          -Chris
                        • JRice
                          Message 12 of 19 , Jul 13, 2003
                            >Here is my character, including (finally) a brief background.
                            >Remember, I know very little about Hyborea, so let me know if any of
                            >this is, well, contradictory, or foolhardy in a suicidal way.

                            Alright, two interesting characters later, my curiosity is piqued.

                            Where are the rules, again? (Sorry for being lazy and not trolling the
                            archive, I'm being lazy...) Are you looking for new people?

                            I'm pretty much available and on-line at any time (I work from home,
                            so... flexible).
                          • Chris Edwards
                            Message 13 of 19 , Jul 13, 2003
                              Howdy,

                              I'm glad you're interested. The rules can be found in the 'Files'
                              section in the 'Doomchaser playtest' folder. They're in a rough
                              playtest form so don't set your expectations too high. :)

                              Unfortunately I just picked up a fifth player. That puts me at two
                              more than I had originally planned on for the first playtest. I
                              would love for you to participate in the current playtest but I just
                              don't think I can handle more than five players effectively over irc.

                              Once things get rolling and I see how the system holds up and how
                              long it takes to resolve conflicts using the system over irc I may
                              feel comfortable adding another player. If nothing else maybe you
                              can drop in to the irc channels and lurk during the sessions. The
                              first session will be this Tuesday starting at 8pm central.

                              -Chris

                              --- In indie-netgaming@yahoogroups.com, JRice <rice@t...> wrote:
                              > >Here is my character, including (finally) a brief background.
                              > >Remember, I know very little about Hyborea, so let me know if any
                              of
                              > >this is, well, contradictory, or foolhardy in a suicidal way.
                              >
                              > Alright, two interesting characters later, my curiosity is piqued.
                              >
                              > Where are the rules, again? (Sorry for being lazy and not
                              trolling the
                              > archive, I'm being lazy...) Are you looking for new people?
                              >
                              > I'm pretty much available and on-line at any time (I work from
                              home,
                              > so... flexible).
                            • samachadreal
                              Message 14 of 19 , Jul 14, 2003
                                Chris, here's my Doomchaser character. Everything look good?

                                Name: Ashur Faris
                                Race: Shemitesh/Zuagir Nomad
                                God: Ashtoreth

                                Black curly beard and hair. narrow faced, Hawk nosed, scars on his
                                cheeks where the tribe marks were burned off. He wears the natural
                                warm white robes of a desert nomad with a wide sash belt. He carries
                                both the scimitar of his people and his family's ancestral bow.

                                Background: Ashur was once respected as a fine bowman and excellent
                                fighter among the Zuagir. A betrayel by his best freind and oath
                                brother over a woman has led to his exile from the tribes, and all
                                members are under a blood oath to kill him on sight should he ever be
                                encountered. He has made his money on his bow for the various armies
                                of Hyborea.

                                Experience: 0
                                Wealth: 0
                                Lust for LIfe: 5

                                Attributes: Crack shot (1), Whipcord Tough (1), Cool Headed (1)
                                Careers: Nomad Raider (2)
                                Drives: Redemption (3), Honor (2)
                                Relationships: Exile from Zuagir tribes (2)

                                Doom:
                                Strife:

                                Equipment: Ancestral Bow (2), Zuagir horse (1), Desert Robes,
                                Waterskin, Scimitar, Arrows, Ritual knife.

                                ------

                                The new rule write up is much better.

                                regards,

                                Trevis
                              • James V. West
                                Message 15 of 19 , Jul 14, 2003
                                  These Doomchaser characters are pretty awesome. When are you playing again? I'd like to sit in if possible.

                                  Message 16 of 19 , Jul 14, 2003
                                    Rockin' character, Trevis. By my count you still have 3 Wealth left,
                                    so you can either spend it or add it to your character sheet.

                                    Looking forward to Tuesday,

                                    Chris
                                  • Chris Edwards
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Jul 14, 2003
                                      Trevis,

                                      It looks like you still have 2 Experience left also. You can spend
                                      those or save them. Maybe buy some episodic descriptors.

                                      -Chris

                                      <thickenergy@y...> wrote:
                                      > Rockin' character, Trevis. By my count you still have 3 Wealth
                                      left,
                                      > so you can either spend it or add it to your character sheet.
                                      >
                                      > Looking forward to Tuesday,
                                      >
                                      > Chris
                                    • Chris Edwards
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Jul 14, 2003
                                        Hey James,

                                        Glad you're interested. The first session will be tomorrow at 8pm
                                        central. If you sit in I will be pumping you for feedback when the
                                        session wraps up, so beware. :)

                                        -Chris
                                      • James V. West
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Jul 15, 2003