Re: [indie-netgaming] Sorcerer & Sword solicitation!

  • Christoffer Lerno
    Message 1 of 19 , May 1, 2003
      On Thursday, May 1, 2003, at 14:17 Asia/Taipei, Russell Hoyle wrote:

      > Well, I would LOVE to play, but I am GMT +8
      > So it means 0900 - 1200 my time Wed, Thurs and Fri - My boss probably
      > wouldn't approve...
      >
      > If you can think of any other times/days, I'd love to be part of the
      > game!

      Russel, when do you have time (local time)?
      Message 2 of 19 , May 1, 2003
        Rod,

        Very nice setting description. I'm getting a real Roger Dean vibe
        (http://www.rogerdean.com/). Which is a world that I've always wanted to
        travel.

        On demons, the visual I get is the Final Fantasy Aeons. Is this what you're
        going for? Are Sorcerers "out" in this world? Or can you take the Old One or
        Immanent demon types from S&S?

        Now on to the heart of the matter, however. Is Humanity the same as what we
        discussed? Refraining from using people to achieve your goals. Or is it in
        this case being able to resist the temptations of the lush world? What do
        demons push you to do, typically? And what does Sorcery look like? In the
        first example of Humanity, I'd think it would be something like offering up
        something taken from another person including abstract things like their
        dignity. In the latter Id guess something more like just doing extremely
        hedonistic things.

        Very curious to see where this goes.

        Mike

      • rod_cartoonist
        Message 3 of 19 , May 1, 2003
          Mike,

          Quickly, since I'm at work:

          Yes to both Roger Dean and the Final Fantasy Aeons -- those are great visual
          references. ("Yes to Roger Dean" -- hee hee)

          Humanity in Xuphia will be straight from the S&S book. The "Lotusland"
          Humanity issues we talked about are filed away for use in a different, more
          Gothic setting.

          Sorcery in Xuphia is *big* and requires a lot of physical work, along the lines
          of erecting standing stones, waving banners and things like that. Even if
          you're not performing cooperative sorcery, you typically need confidants to
          help you fulfill the ritual requirements. When a demon is summoned, the
          effects are dramatic -- earthquakes, spontaneous combustion of nearby
          trees, swarms of hornets -- so a good source for sorcerous Humanity rolls is
          simply putting your confidants at physical risk. (Or allowing the Demon to take
          Need from your confidant.) Alternate possibilities are assembling ritual
          materials by stealing them from your friends, or throwing an orgy and using
          it to generate the sorcerous energy for a summoning, leaving the
          participants sick and drained.

          Rod

          --- In indie-netgaming@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Holmes" <homeydont@h...>
          wrote:
          > Rod,
          >
          > Very nice setting description. I'm getting a real Roger Dean vibe
          > (http://www.rogerdean.com/). Which is a world that I've always wanted to
          > travel.
          >
          > On demons, the visual I get is the Final Fantasy Aeons. Is this what you're
          > going for? Are Sorcerers "out" in this world? Or can you take the Old One or
          > Immanent demon types from S&S?
          >
          > Now on to the heart of the matter, however. Is Humanity the same as what
          we
          > discussed? Refraining from using people to achieve your goals. Or is it in
          > this case being able to resist the temptations of the lush world? What do
          > demons push you to do, typically? And what does Sorcery look like? In the
          > first example of Humanity, I'd think it would be something like offering up
          > something taken from another person including abstract things like their
          > dignity. In the latter Id guess something more like just doing extremely
          > hedonistic things.
          >
          > Very curious to see where this goes.
          >
          > Mike

        • Ed Heil
          Message 4 of 19 , May 1, 2003
            See, this is the kind of setting where I could really groove on
            Sorcerer. Kane on a Yes Album Cover, doing sorcery that blows out
            windows like a Highlander Quickening.

            On Thu, 2003-05-01 at 10:01, rod_cartoonist wrote:
            > Mike,
            >

            > Quickly, since I'm at work:
            >
            > Yes to both Roger Dean and the Final Fantasy Aeons -- those are great visual
            > references. ("Yes to Roger Dean" -- hee hee)
            >

            > Humanity in Xuphia will be straight from the S&S book. The "Lotusland"
            > Humanity issues we talked about are filed away for use in a different, more
            > Gothic setting.
            >
            > Sorcery in Xuphia is *big* and requires a lot of physical work, along the lines
            > of erecting standing stones, waving banners and things like that. Even if
            > you're not performing cooperative sorcery, you typically need confidants to
            > help you fulfill the ritual requirements. When a demon is summoned, the
            > effects are dramatic -- earthquakes, spontaneous combustion of nearby
            > trees, swarms of hornets -- so a good source for sorcerous Humanity rolls is
            > simply putting your confidants at physical risk. (Or allowing the Demon to take
            > Need from your confidant.) Alternate possibilities are assembling ritual
            > materials by stealing them from your friends, or throwing an orgy and using
            > it to generate the sorcerous energy for a summoning, leaving the
            > participants sick and drained.
            >

            > Rod
            >

            > --- In indie-netgaming@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Holmes" <homeydont@h...>
            > wrote:
            > > Rod,
            > >
            > > Very nice setting description. I'm getting a real Roger Dean vibe
            > > (http://www.rogerdean.com/). Which is a world that I've always wanted to
            > > travel.
            > >
            > > On demons, the visual I get is the Final Fantasy Aeons. Is this what you're
            > > going for? Are Sorcerers "out" in this world? Or can you take the Old One or
            > > Immanent demon types from S&S?
            > >
            > > Now on to the heart of the matter, however. Is Humanity the same as what
            > we
            > > discussed? Refraining from using people to achieve your goals. Or is it in
            > > this case being able to resist the temptations of the lush world? What do
            > > demons push you to do, typically? And what does Sorcery look like? In the
            > > first example of Humanity, I'd think it would be something like offering up
            > > something taken from another person including abstract things like their
            > > dignity. In the latter Id guess something more like just doing extremely
            > > hedonistic things.
            > >
            > > Very curious to see where this goes.
            > >
            > > Mike

            Ed Heil edheil@...
            "Observe the monkeys from the distance.
            Do not stare them in the eyes.
            Do not put your hands out or try to touch them.
            Do not show or give food to monkeys."
            http://gojapan.about.com/library/special/blmonkey.htm
          • rod_cartoonist
            Message 5 of 19 , May 1, 2003
              So, Ed . . . are you saying you want to play? : )

              Rod

              Message 6 of 19 , May 1, 2003
                What are the minimum requirements for a player? I'm afraid I haven't
                yet actually read all of Sorcerer, and am not too familiar with the
                mechancics... are you planning on playing in mail or IRC?

                Message 7 of 19 , May 1, 2003
                  Minimum requirements? Enthusiasm, I suppose! It would be best if you had a
                  copy of Sorcerer & Sword, but if not, I could draw up the most essential
                  material from that book (the descriptors for attributes, and some new fun
                  things to do with the rules) in a document and e-mail it to you.

                  I'm looking at using the IRC channel -- see the very bottom of my original
                  message on this topic for specifics.

                  Rod

                  --- In indie-netgaming@yahoogroups.com, Ed Heil <edheil@f...> wrote:
                  > What are the minimum requirements for a player? I'm afraid I haven't
                  > yet actually read all of Sorcerer, and am not too familiar with the
                  > mechancics... are you planning on playing in mail or IRC?

                • bankuei
                  Message 8 of 19 , May 1, 2003
                    Hi Rod,

                    I've been a long time lurker on this, and I'm finally going to break
                    down and play online. I really dig the FF idea, since I also own
                    that book and it took but a minute for me to get some exciting
                    character concepts going.

                    I'm sorry, what days and times are you looking at playing?

                    Chris

                    --- In indie-netgaming@yahoogroups.com, "rod_cartoonist"

                  • rod_cartoonist
                    Message 9 of 19 , May 1, 2003
                      Chris,

                      It's at the bottom of my original post! :-) I'm most amenable to Tuesday,
                      Wednesday or Thursday, in the 7 to 10 pm time frame. I guess at this point I'd
                      like everyone who's interested (you, Ed and Mike, maybe?) to sound off on
                      which of those times are acceptable for them. Then I can go through and see
                      if there are any dates I want to rule out entirely, and propose a solid play
                      schedule.

                      Here's an idea -- Would anyone like to meet in the #indie_ooc chat room
                      tonight around 8 Central and shoot the breeze about this game?

                      Rod

                    • Ed Heil
                      Message 10 of 19 , May 1, 2003
                        I'm leery of making promises bout IRC games. I have a hard time getting
                        on/staying on IRC, and my schedule is flaky. I guess I'll watch this
                        from the sidelines. :)

                        Message 11 of 19 , May 1, 2003
                          Well, c'est la vie -- if you change your mind though, you can let me know!

                          Rod

                          --- In indie-netgaming@yahoogroups.com, Ed Heil <edheil@f...> wrote:
                          > I'm leery of making promises bout IRC games. I have a hard time getting
                          > on/staying on IRC, and my schedule is flaky. I guess I'll watch this
                          > from the sidelines. :)

                        • bankuei
                          Message 12 of 19 , May 1, 2003
                            Hi Rod,

                            Oops! Missed it! Of the three days, Weds best, Thurs would be
                            second best.

                            Chris
                            Message 13 of 19 , May 1, 2003
                              OK, I'm really in. I'm not sure if doing three Sorcerer games at once is a
                              good idea (my FTF game with Josh is also Sorcerer right now), but I like
                              concept too much to pass it up. Aw, who an I kidding, I'm just a gamer crack
                              whore. Bring it on!

                              I would say that Teusday is bewst for me. I can do Thursday, but I have a
                              commitment one night per month to be out on Thursday (last in the month).
                              Wednesday is my FTF game with Josh, so that's out.

                              Ed, you bum! We can get you fixed up, damnit! Play!

                              I'll try to be in the chatroom tonight at 8, Rod.

                            • rod_cartoonist
                              Message 14 of 19 , May 1, 2003
                                Hokay, then! If Ed can be cajoled, I've got three players and I'll close the list
                                there. If it turns out that he's really out, then I could add someone in his place,
                                if anyone wants in.

                                It sounds like we'll go ahead and play on Thursday, weekly except for one
                                night a month -- when will that be, Mike?

                                In any case, I'll be in #indie_ooc at 8 then. Chris, Ed, think y'all can be there
                                tonight for discussing the game, hopefully getting some character concepts
                                out there?

                                Rod
                              • Ed Heil
                                Message 15 of 19 , May 2, 2003
                                  Seriously, though I'd love to play, I can't commit to being there at the
                                  right time on IRC. Sorry. :)

                                  Message 16 of 19 , May 2, 2003
                                    Sorry about last night guys, network went down on me
                                    something nasty. Let me know if you want to take some more
                                    time IRC or email to email to write up characters and set up for
                                    play.

                                    <rod_cartoonist@y...> wrote:
                                    > Hokay, then! If Ed can be cajoled, I've got three players and I'll
                                    close the list
                                    > there. If it turns out that he's really out, then I could add
                                    someone in his place,
                                    > if anyone wants in.
                                    >
                                    > It sounds like we'll go ahead and play on Thursday, weekly
                                    except for one
                                    > night a month -- when will that be, Mike?
                                    >
                                    > In any case, I'll be in #indie_ooc at 8 then. Chris, Ed, think y'all
                                    can be there
                                    > tonight for discussing the game, hopefully getting some
                                    character concepts
                                    > out there?
                                    >

                                    > Rod
                                  • rod_cartoonist
                                    Message 17 of 19 , May 2, 2003
                                      No problem, Chris -- unless it happens to you a lot! Was it just
                                      an IRC issue, or something with your server, or? It does make
                                      me wonder if it would be worthwhile to set up a "contingency
                                      plan" that would enable us to move the game from one venue to
                                      another quickly, so a technical problem doesn't have to be a
                                      frustrating brick wall.

                                      In any case, go ahead and e-mail me your write-up. I've got my
                                      backstory mojo on, I'm comin' up with Bangs, it's goin' good.
                                      There is one issue with your character though. Since the
                                      adventure is taking place on his "home turf", there's going to be
                                      some characters who he would already know fairly well. Which
                                      raises the question:

                                      Do you want me to write you up a briefing on who your character
                                      knows and what their deals are? or,

                                      Would you rather it be revealed to you, the player, as game
                                      circumstances dictate? Doing it this way means you get to
                                      "discover" these folks as an audience member, but you will have
                                      to be able to improvise and accommodate new stuff that your
                                      character "already knew, of course". Let me know what you think
                                      of all this.