RE: [indica-users] Re: life of an engine / car

  • mehta anil
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 30, 2003
      Hi All

      There is no simple formula that tappit adjustment or FIP calibration will
      decrease the noise. A good workshop / mechanic should be able to judge what
      is the remedy for a particular ailment - whether it is a petrol or diesel
      engined car.

      Filling up fuel at a known good petrol pump, getting the car checked /
      serviced regularly at a good workshop having less than the magic figure of
      40 cars per day(and hence having enough time to do justice to the cars come
      in) driving the car delicately etc, all add to the performance and life of
      the car. A simple adjustment known as rpm & anti-stall adjustment does
      wonders to the pickup and mileage and consequently noise level also. It
      takes just 10 minutes.

      Engine oil and coolant leakages (known ailments of the Indica) add to the
      wear and tear on the engine. Blown fuses and wiring connectors' burns and
      melted rubber / plastic parts are a frequent effect of the high temperatures
      at which a diesel engine works. The radiator & a/c fans consequently konk
      off frequently, adding to the temperature rise in the engine. Front heavy
      plays havoc with the suspension and wheel alignment while negotiating speed
      breakers and khuds. Other problems are same as any car. But the known
      problems of Indica or diesel engines are somethings that the owner/driver
      should look out for and check and correct regularly. The moment the
      temperature guage goes up beyond the normal mid-mark while driving, the car
      should be stopped immmediately and attended.

      A blown fuse or fluid leakage should not be simply replaced. The cause
      should be investigated and attended, before simply replacing.Any new sound
      or noise or feel of the car deserves a checkup. It is like a frig working
      away with a blown thermostat. The compressor is bound to konk off in no time
      at all.

      Regular check and care adds to the life of the car and its engine and other
      systems. I see no reason why the car should not run 1.25 or 1.5 lakh kms
      before requiring a engine overhaul.

      Regards

      Anil Mehta