RE: [indica-users] Re: driving with parking break on

  • mayank bhardwaj
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 1, 2003
      One can follow a drill while using the car like I do.
      open the door,
      place the key into the ignition and twist to set the preignition heater
      on,
      sit down,
      check gear shift for neutral,
      hand brakes off,
      seat belt on,
      by this time the heater cuts off,
      start the engine.
      adjust mirrors
      drive.
      once you follow this for a period of 8 to 12 days, it becomes a habit
      and so no more brakeson driving.
      take care
      mayank

      ******************************************Disclaimer************************
      > *************
      > The information contained in this message is BPCL's Confidential and
      > Proprietary information and is intended only for the use of the
      > recipient(s)
      > named above. If the reader of this message is not the intended
      > recipient,
      > he/she is hereby notified that any use, dissemination, distribution,
      > or
      > copying of this communication or any of its content is strictly
      > prohibited.
      > In such case, please advise the sender immediately and delete it from
      > your
      > system. Further acknowledges that any views expressed in this
      > message are
      > those of the individual sender and no binding nature of the message
      > shall be
      > implied or assumed unless the sender does so expressly with due
      > authority of
      > BPCL.

      http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
    • Alok Bhale
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 1, 2003
        I sometimes put the parking brake while waiting at signals - the buzzer would be irritating if it buzzes for more than a minute
        a couple of people here brainstormed on this and we came up following suggestions

        1. a small sticker taped above the heater indicator - you are bound to look at the indicator before you start the engine, hopefully the sticker will be a reminder for the brake. won't work for the petrol indicas though :))
        2. a flasher cicuit for the handbrake indicator - flashing light should be more eyecatching than one which is lit.

        -ALok

        I drove my car at least 6 km(its total of multiple occasions) with parking brakes ON. It's impossible to check without
        fail the parking brake unless there is some alarm. My parking brakes are not effective now. I shall go for the buzzer.

        Regards,
        Vinay Verma
        > Hi
        >
        > I don't know why Tata Motors cannot implement a buzzer for the
        > handbrake as standard equipment. Implementing it is pretty easy
        > considering that the dashboard already has a visual alert for it.
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Pradeep
        >
        > --- In indica-users@yahoogroups.com, Siva rajan <sivarajan1968@y...>
        > wrote:
        > > hi
        > > i did the same mistake when i bought this car. now i have added a
        > small buzzer to the hand brake switch. when the hand brake and the
        > ignition switch is on togather, the buzzer will warn you to release
        > the hand brake.
        > >
        > > this is effective and costed me hardly less that Rs.30/- to do that.
        > >
        > > Just give a try.
        > >
        > > sivarajan
        > > (V2 DLS 2002 - 21000 kms, 16.5 kmpl, Coimbatore)
        > >
        > > Sujan Hajra <shajra@r...> wrote:
        > > Hi,
        > > Yesterday I drove my DLX (June 2003) with parking break on
        > for about
        > > 3 KM. Can any body tell me which parts of the car likely to get
        > affected by
        > > this and do I need to go to workshop for this (my first service is
        > due in
        > > another 2 months).
        > > Sujan.
        > >

        > > *** The information in this email is confidential and intended
        > solely for
        > > addressee. Access to this email by anyone else is unauthorised. If
        > you are
        > > not one of those intended recipients please notify the sender
        > immediately
        > > via email and remove the message entirely from your system. ***

        > > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
        > >
        > > To UNsubscribe, send a blank email to the address:
        > > For submitting feedback about your Indica, use:
        > http://www.egroups.com/files/indica-users/IndicaUsersFeedback.html

        > Service.

        > For submitting feedback about your Indica, use:
        > http://www.egroups.com/files/indica-users/IndicaUsersFeedback.html

        For submitting feedback about your Indica, use: http://www.egroups.com/files/indica-users/IndicaUsersFeedback.html

      • Vverma01
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 1, 2003
          Yes Alok, I am fully agree with you.
          Regards,
          Vinay

          > I sometimes put the parking brake while waiting at signals - the buzzer would
          > be irritating if it buzzes for more than a minute
          > a couple of people here brainstormed on this and we came up following
          > suggestions
          >
          > 1. a small sticker taped above the heater indicator - you are bound to look at
          > the indicator before you start the engine, hopefully the sticker will be a
          > reminder for the brake. won't work for the petrol indicas though :))
          > 2. a flasher cicuit for the handbrake indicator - flashing light should be
          > more eyecatching than one which is lit.
          >
          > -ALok

        • sudheendrar
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 14, 2003
            Dear Friends,

            I wonder why there needs to be so much of an issue about this. Let's
            address the primary safety concerns.

            First of all, NO car should be able to "move" in any direction when
            the parking brake is on. - Why do you have the brake then?

            Second, assume your car "moves" when the the parking brake is on, the
            apparent friction and sluggishness will immediately tell us something
            is tugging us back! Check the Parking Brake!

            Third, by being insensitive to this tugging and driving, you'd be
            scouring away the pads and would be a potential driving hazard on the
            already scary roads!

            I agree with one of our friends who uses the "Drill". What the
            hell....it's worth it.

            Drive safe....save lives....

            Sudheendra

            --- In indica-users@yahoogroups.com, mayank bhardwaj <decaharry@y...>

            ******
            > > *************
            > > The information contained in this message is BPCL's Confidential
            and
            > > Proprietary information and is intended only for the use of the
            > > recipient(s)
            > > named above. If the reader of this message is not the intended
            > > recipient,
            > > he/she is hereby notified that any use, dissemination,
            distribution,
            > > or
            > > copying of this communication or any of its content is strictly
            > > prohibited.
            > > In such case, please advise the sender immediately and delete it
            from
            > > your
            > > system. Further acknowledges that any views expressed in this
            > > message are
            > > those of the individual sender and no binding nature of the
            message
            > > shall be
            > > implied or assumed unless the sender does so expressly with due
            > > authority of
            > > BPCL.

            > http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
          • dr_trrk
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 15, 2003

              > I wonder why there needs to be so much of an issue about this.

              That was indeed a quite healthy discussion on that issue.

              > First of all, NO car should be able to "move" in any direction when
              > the parking brake is on. - Why do you have the brake then?

              I agree with you. Mine holds the car immobile. Unfortunately, even
              the service people ignore the handbrake as the mahority never use
              this. So there could be a misdajusted handbrake which may not bite
              enough to prevent the vehicle under engine power. Improperly released
              handbrake also can lead to driving with it on without much adverse
              effects on acceleration. The indication in such cases will be the
              slowing down of vehicle more than normal unce you lift your foot off
              the accelerator pedal.

              It is better to have a pattern to your stopping and starting the
              vehicle which includes the handbrake and seatbelt. If you allow it to
              form a habit, then such mishaps will not happen.

              > Drive safe....save lives....

              Release your handbrake, put your seat belt.......

              Rajesh
              (V2 DLE, Feb 2001, 43800kms, 15kpl, Alleppey, Kerala, KL 04 J 0914)
            • Shankar Menon
              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 15, 2003
                Rajesh is absolutely right. It's a question of making these things a habit.

                Shankar
                > I wonder why there needs to be so much of an issue about this.

                That was indeed a quite healthy discussion on that issue.

                > First of all, NO car should be able to "move" in any direction when
                > the parking brake is on. - Why do you have the brake then?

                I agree with you. Mine holds the car immobile. Unfortunately, even
                the service people ignore the handbrake as the mahority never use
                this. So there could be a misdajusted handbrake which may not bite
                enough to prevent the vehicle under engine power. Improperly released
                handbrake also can lead to driving with it on without much adverse
                effects on acceleration. The indication in such cases will be the
                slowing down of vehicle more than normal unce you lift your foot off
                the accelerator pedal.

                It is better to have a pattern to your stopping and starting the
                vehicle which includes the handbrake and seatbelt. If you allow it to
                form a habit, then such mishaps will not happen.

                > Drive safe....save lives....

                Release your handbrake, put your seat belt.......

                Rajesh
                (V2 DLE, Feb 2001, 43800kms, 15kpl, Alleppey, Kerala, KL 04 J 0914)

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                For submitting feedback about your Indica, use: http://www.egroups.com/files/indica-users/IndicaUsersFeedback.html