Petrol Engine heats up

  • Vivek Tikoo
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 2 1:25 AM
      Frinds , Need ur inputs on this.

      My LSI Petrol is a beauty ...touchwood no issues so
      far.

      BUT...1 Observation : Within 10-15 minutes of travel -
      6 kms max @ avg speed of 55 kmph...the heat guage
      indicator reaches the half mark ...the coolant gets
      activiated and brings it back to half mark..there is
      not visible shift in guage indication , but that
      what's happens.

      i have checked with the wasan motors dealers in mumbai
      ..all they say is that the heat generation in petrol
      engines is very high...at least i dont see the heat
      generation in diesel engines ..

      anny comments

      http://tax.yahoo.com
    • dr_trrk
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 2 4:05 AM
        Hi Vivek,

        > BUT...1 Observation : Within 10-15 minutes of travel -
        > 6 kms max @ avg speed of 55 kmph...the heat guage
        > indicator reaches the half mark ...the coolant gets
        > activiated and brings it back to half mark..there is

        That looks very much like the functioning of a normal cooling system.

        A petrol/diesel engine does generate heat. I am not sure which one
        generates more heat.

        An engine needs to go upto a temperature which is considered optimum
        for its operation. This is usualy around 85-90 degreee C. In most of
        the temperatire guages, this is generally the halfway mark. The area
        marked in red is the danger zone and the gauage should never be there
        for any length of time.

        The cooling system in modern cars have the necessary mechanism to
        keep the engine temperature in the optimum range under most of the
        conditions. Only when there is some defect in the cooling system does
        the engine overheat.

        Most of the modern cars including Indica have a closed coolant
        system. The radiator overflow goes into a plasttic tank and hence
        minimises coolant loss. The radiator fan these days is an electric
        one and comes on only when the temperature goes beyond a point and
        automatically stops as and when the temperature goes below the set
        point.

        Rajesh
        (V2 DLE, Feb 2001, 38500+ kms, 15kpl, Alleppey, Kerala)
      • Vivek Tikoo
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 2 9:00 PM
          My q was -
          When u start the day driving ...after how long of
          continuous driving does ur cooling system start
          workingfor the first time and subsequently then with
          what frequency ?

          That is the critical q here - in my petrol car, I feel
          it happens every 8-10 kms whereas in the DLS cars, I
          think it happens once in 40-50kms.

          Thanks for answering,
          regs
          vivek

          http://tax.yahoo.com
        • Shekhar Kulkarni
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 2 9:07 PM
            in my DLS I think the optimum tem is reached within 3 - 4 kms, and little
            more on petrol engine looks OK, diesel being compression ignition cd develop
            more heat (just a guess)
            bye
            Shekhar
            April 2002 DLS 14000 kms, 15.4 km/ltr

            --- dr_trrk <dr_trrk@...> wrote:
            > Hi Vivek,
            >
            > > BUT...1 Observation : Within 10-15 minutes of
            > travel -
            > > 6 kms max @ avg speed of 55 kmph...the heat guage
            > > indicator reaches the half mark ...the coolant
            > gets
            > > activiated and brings it back to half mark..there
            > is
            >
            > That looks very much like the functioning of a
            > normal cooling system.
            >
            > A petrol/diesel engine does generate heat. I am not
            > sure which one
            > generates more heat.
            >
            > An engine needs to go upto a temperature which is
            > considered optimum
            > for its operation. This is usualy around 85-90
            > degreee C. In most of
            > the temperatire guages, this is generally the
            > halfway mark. The area
            > marked in red is the danger zone and the gauage
            > should never be there
            > for any length of time.
            >
            > The cooling system in modern cars have the necessary
            > mechanism to
            > keep the engine temperature in the optimum range
            > under most of the
            > conditions. Only when there is some defect in the
            > cooling system does
            > the engine overheat.
            >
            > Most of the modern cars including Indica have a
            > closed coolant
            > system. The radiator overflow goes into a plasttic
            > tank and hence
            > minimises coolant loss. The radiator fan these days
            > is an electric
            > one and comes on only when the temperature goes
            > beyond a point and
            > automatically stops as and when the temperature goes
            > below the set
            > point.
            >
            > Rajesh
            > (V2 DLE, Feb 2001, 38500+ kms, 15kpl, Alleppey,
            > Kerala)

            http://tax.yahoo.com <http://tax.yahoo.com>

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=246920.2960106.4328965.1728375/D=egroupweb/S=17050648
            25:HM/A=1513704/R=0/*http://www.gotomypc.com/u/tr/yh/cpm/grp/300_02F/g22lp?T
            arget=mm/g22lp.tmpl>

            <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=246920.2960106.4328965.1728375/D=egroupmai
            l/S=:HM/A=1513704/rand=542683816>

            For submitting feedback about your Indica, use:
            http://www.egroups.com/files/indica-users/IndicaUsersFeedback.html
            <http://www.egroups.com/files/indica-users/IndicaUsersFeedback.html>

            <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

          • Manish Kapadia
            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 2 9:21 PM
              What i have noticed on the petrol engine is that if i am continuously driving (that is without stopping at signals) the needle does not reach halfway mark
              If i am stopping at signals (with engine on) then it would reach there, irrespective of kms driven , reached in about 10-15 mins in stop and go traffic.

              Regards,
              Manish.

              --- dr_trrk <dr_trrk@...> wrote:
              > Hi Vivek,
              >
              > > BUT...1 Observation : Within 10-15 minutes of
              > travel -
              > > 6 kms max @ avg speed of 55 kmph...the heat guage
              > > indicator reaches the half mark ...the coolant
              > gets
              > > activiated and brings it back to half mark..there
              > is
              >
              > That looks very much like the functioning of a
              > normal cooling system.
              >
              > A petrol/diesel engine does generate heat. I am not
              > sure which one
              > generates more heat.
              >
              > An engine needs to go upto a temperature which is
              > considered optimum
              > for its operation. This is usualy around 85-90
              > degreee C. In most of
              > the temperatire guages, this is generally the
              > halfway mark. The area
              > marked in red is the danger zone and the gauage
              > should never be there
              > for any length of time.
              >
              > The cooling system in modern cars have the necessary
              > mechanism to
              > keep the engine temperature in the optimum range
              > under most of the
              > conditions. Only when there is some defect in the
              > cooling system does
              > the engine overheat.
              >
              > Most of the modern cars including Indica have a
              > closed coolant
              > system. The radiator overflow goes into a plasttic
              > tank and hence
              > minimises coolant loss. The radiator fan these days
              > is an electric
              > one and comes on only when the temperature goes
              > beyond a point and
              > automatically stops as and when the temperature goes
              > below the set
              > point.
              >
              > Rajesh
              > (V2 DLE, Feb 2001, 38500+ kms, 15kpl, Alleppey,
              > Kerala)

              http://tax.yahoo.com

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              For submitting feedback about your Indica, use: http://www.egroups.com/files/indica-users/IndicaUsersFeedback.html

            • prasad naik
              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 4 9:10 PM
                Hi Vivek ,

                This seems to be quite normal.
                My DLS reaches half mark within about 3-4 kms and stays there.
                I am not able to make out when the coolant or the cooling system
                gets activated. But I suppose this way it must be keeping the temp
                at a proper required level.

                Regards,
                Prasad

                Odomos - the only mosquito protection outside 4 walls -
                Click here to know more!
                http://r.rediff.com/r?http://clients.rediff.com/odomos/Odomos.htm&&odomos&&wn
              • dr_trrk
                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 9 4:56 AM
                  Hi Vivek,

                  I was out of town for a week.

                  > When u start the day driving ...after how long of
                  > continuous driving does ur cooling system start
                  > workingfor the first time and subsequently then with
                  > what frequency ?

                  The temperature needle starts moving after about 1.5 kms and
                  gradually comes to near the centre mark in about 5 kms. If you mean
                  the electric cooling fan's satrting and frequency, it can vary a lot.
                  The fan is supposed to come on at a preset temperature and as soon as
                  it brings the temperature below that it stops. In a highway with
                  steady driving, the fan may not even come on for a long time.

                  In my case, all my driving is wiht AC on and once AC is on, this
                  radiator fan is automatically switched on and hence it works
                  continuosly. Moroever in a diesel engine car, it is very difficult to
                  isolate this fan noise. It might be easier to hear in a petrol
                  engined car. The optimum engine temperature is more critical in a
                  diesel engine as it does not have a spark plug to assist ignition.

                  > That is the critical q here - in my petrol car, I feel
                  > it happens every 8-10 kms whereas in the DLS cars, I
                  > think it happens once in 40-50kms.

                  It can vary and as long as the temperature is kept in the optimum
                  range, it hardly matters. Is your above comparison on the same route
                  under similar conditions?

                  Rajesh
                  (V2 DLE, FeB 2001, 38500+kms, 15kpl, Alleppey, Kerala)
                • dbanerjee
                  Message 8 of 13 , Apr 30 4:20 AM
                    My workshop (Tata authorised) has a PUC issuing machine which remains out of order for most of the time. There is a nearby Petrol pump from where they get the certificate . Each time they send a boy with me to get the necessary adjustments done , if required, for getting the vehicle pass through PUC.Last time they did some thing which perhaps you can also try if your vehicle is not able to pass the PUC norms. They put the hose pipe (used normally for cleaning vehicle with water) onto the exhaust of my car while the engine was running and forced water into it. They did it 3/4 times , each time switching on and off the engine. Lot of black soot / carbon which was there inside the exhaust pipe got washed away and the car got PUC clearance in the very first attempt.
                    I do not know how good was that for my vehicle but so far I haven't faced any problem
                    Mine is Sept 99 Indica DLE model.
                    Any comment

                    Best regards
                    D.Banerjee

                    gaitonde_un wrote:

                    > Hello all Indica-Diesel owners,
                    >
                    > Did you have any problems in getting the PUC clearance for your car?
                    > If so, when (how many months/kms), and how did you overcome the
                    > problem?
                    >
                    > Sincerely,
                    > U N Gaitonde

                    > For submitting feedback about your Indica, use: http://www.egroups.com/files/indica-users/IndicaUsersFeedback.html

                    Visit our Corporate Website at "http://www.dcmsr.com"
                  • Abhishek, Dev
                    Message 9 of 13 , Apr 30 5:46 AM
                      The water in the exhaust pipe may not be a great idea from the long term
                      corrosion perspective. The chaps at my garage force compressed air through
                      the entire exhaust system. This seems to work. However, the reading are
                      close to non-compliance - the car used to turn in about 44 Hartridge units
                      (standard specifies max of 65), now it's usually in the high 50s.

                      Most diesel engines do degenerate with time, as they begin to burn more of
                      the lube.