First experience of A-One Motors, New Delhi

  • Dr Subrat Kar
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 1, 2002
      1.. I just handed my car over to A-One Motors, Mohan Coop Industrial
      Estate, New Delhi for the following work:

      1.. Alternator over-hauling : estimate Rs.5000/-

      My alternator was barely charging the engine when revved hard. So I had
      two flat battery mornings in the last 15 days. I think I will invest about
      Rs 500 in a trickle charger (I don't have the relevant Elektor issue to
      build one myself). Usually I connect my discharged battery overnight to my
      inverter (every alternate Delhi household has a inverter) whenever I get a
      flat battery (thrice so far).

      This alternator over-haul is to be done at Balaji Motors, Delhi (Noida
      ?). Any experiences here with Balaji Motors or with alternator overhauls,
      anyone ? Are the cost estimates realistic ?

      2.. Fast Idling Control Device (FICD) fitment : estimate Rs.3000/-

      I have seen an earlier email saying the FICD was fitted by A-One Motors
      for Rs.1800/- so I would be grateful if someone could warn me in time about
      a potential over-charging.

      Interestingly, the now extinct Concorde Motors (Ishwar Nagar, Delhi) had
      told me one and a half years ago that FICD fitment was not possible in the
      older generation of Indica DLEs like mine. A-One not only says it is
      possible - in fact, they are fitting one FICD to my car tomorrow. I am
      looking forward to seeing how they will handle the vacuum fitting part.

      3.. REAR SEATBELT FITMENT : No cost estimate yet - any one who has
      fitted these in Delhi ?

      I also plan to get rear seatbelts fitted tomorrow. This is to become
      mandatory from Oct 1 2002 so I might get it done anyway. Some questions are:

      Is there a standard rear seat-belt brand (non-factory fitted) which can
      bought in the open market ? I might take advantage of Karol Bagh prices and
      steer clear of low-quality brands if I get some feedback on this by
      tomorrow.

      Does Telco recommend any brand of rear seat-belt (I think all of us
      would be grateful for a reply from Mr Machale on this one) ? Also since I
      don't want the typical ham-handed mechanic to fit such a crucial (to life)
      device, does Telco recommend any particular place where I can get it fitted
      ?

      4.. Strangely, I saw some V2's being checked in with recurrent wheel
      alignment problems despite F/ball joint replacement. I thought that
      nightmare was over in the V2 series.

      2.. Some comments on A-One Motors:
      1.. Their scale of operations seems to be much bigger than Concorde,
      Delhi. They took in about 35 jobs this morning which is a fairly large
      number.
      2.. They were cordial enough this morning and I found their technical
      car tomorrow.
      3.. They work on Sundays (cars are accepted between 0830-0930 hours)
      which is a good thing for every working person.

      Subrat

    • Gopalkrishnan
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 2, 2002
        Dear Subrat,

        1. I'm not too sure whether you need to spend Rs.5000 for the alternator overhauling. I too had a problem last year with poor charging of the battery in my Sept 99 DLE, and got it solved by having the voltage regulator assembly unit replaced. The relatively small garage here in Chennai which did it charged me Rs.503 for the unit (slightly more than TVS Lucas's price), plus Rs.350 for alternator "overhauling" - a total of Rs.853.

        2. I'd be most interested in knowing your experience with the FICD retrofit.

        Regards,

        Gopi

        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 2, 2002
          Dear Subrat

          I had the alternator overhauled directly by an authorised Lucas
          dealer-cum-service centre (Victor Electricals near the AAUI office at
          Connaught Place). The regulator cutout cost around Rs. 500 and labour
          charges were Rs. 200 inclusive of removing and fitting back the
          alternator.Any other parts required or defects would naturally cost
          additionally for components and labour / machining. But Rs. 5000 is near to
          the cost of a new alternator.

          The Telco workshops also send the alternator and self to Lucas (Company
          Service Centre at Deshbandhu Gupta Road adjacent to Karol Bagh) or to a
          Lucas authorised service centre.

          I paid approx Rs. 1500 for fitting a FICD by Nawab,Noida around June 2k.
          This was not an OEM make like Subros or Sanden. But at that time OEM makes
          were cheaper.

          For electrical faults like alternator / self / battery, I normally prefer to
          go to an authorised Lucas service centre. The total overhaul job takes
          around 1.5 to 2 hours per alternator or self. Sitting there and chatting
          with the maalik / mistry, one learns a lot also.

          Regards

          Anil

[...]

          For submitting feedback about your Indica, use:
          http://www.egroups.com/files/indica-users/IndicaUsersFeedback.html

          ******************************************Disclaimer************************
          *************
          The information contained in this message is BPCL's Confidential and
          Proprietary information and is intended only for the use of the recipient(s)
          named above. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient,
          he/she is hereby notified that any use, dissemination, distribution, or
          copying of this communication or any of its content is strictly prohibited.
          In such case, please advise the sender immediately and delete it from your
          system. Further acknowledges that any views expressed in this message are
          those of the individual sender and no binding nature of the message shall be
          implied or assumed unless the sender does so expressly with due authority of
          BPCL.
        • dr_trrk
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 3, 2002

            > I am looking forward to seeing how they will handle the vacuum
            > fitting part.

            There is already a vacuum pump to service the brake booster. They
            will have to use a y clamp to connect to the FICD.

            Rajesh
            (V2 DLE, Feb 2001, 29712 kms, 14.6 kpl, Alleppey, Kerala)
          • Jagjeet S Bajwa
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 23, 2002
              Hello All,
              My Indica DLE Mar2K, 27K kms happened to have a charging problem.
              Battery light while turning Ignition was not coming for 5-6 days.However it apeared twice in this interval like in normal operation. After this one day, battery could not start the car. I got alternator repaired through Tayal Motors Faridabad. They get alternator repairs through locat Lucas Service Center.
              I know of local Lucas Service Center but I didn't went there directly coz I thought taking alternator Out & fitting back requires proper setup that Lucas Center does not have.
              Bill was Rs2550. At Tayal Motors, they told that the Regulator & Rotor have gone bad. My doubt of problem was of dusty alternator or Jammed bushes!!
              I like to know the experience of other members in alternator repair.
              Regards,
              Jagjeet Singh

            • Manoj K Jain
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 23, 2002
                Hi Jagjeet

                Even I faced the similar problem some time back and the problem was that of
                jammed bushes. The replacement of these costed me Rs500/-.

                regards,
                Manoj

                From: "Jagjeet S Bajwa" <jagjeet_bajwa@...> on 09/23/2002 10:37 AM CET

                Please respond to indica-users@yahoogroups.com

                To: indica-users@yahoogroups.com
                cc:
                Subject: [indica-users] Alternator Repair

[...]

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                [IMAGE]

                [IMAGE]

                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 23, 2002
                  Dear Jagjeet

                  You could possibly ask the workshop to show you the bill / job card of Lucas
                  Service Centre / Lucas authorised service dealer who did the repair job.

                  Yes, Lucas Service Centre does not have facility for removing and refitting
                  the alternator / self to the car. But most Lucas authorised service dealers
                  themselves do the total job of removing repairing and refitting the
                  alternator / self to the car. You must be having an old trusted Lucas
                  authorised service dealer for your previous car.

                  Regards

                  Anil